Reach EOD Helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an interesting idea. The main point of the practice helmet was to get hands on experience with the materials like bondo and resin which I have never worked with before, but there are significant differences such as how 3mm eva foam responds to being sanded (terribly). I'll probably "finish" off the practice helmet enough to get a little paint practice before I start bondo on the exterior of the official helmet.

That's an interesting point about the sanding of EVA.......I have been using a 120 grit sanding sponge (by hand) and I'm getting very good use out of it. My seams have been nice and clean since I started using it. I have yet to fill in large gaps yet w/ caulk but I know from handy-working that caulk doesn't sand well at all. The hot glue and sanding I find isn't a big problem either. I guess it's all a matter of preference, proficiency and material being used. Looking forward to seeing more of your suit.

Great photos of your build so far! Your helmets are looking good, very impressed!

That's an interesting point about the sanding of EVA.......I have been using a 120 grit sanding sponge (by hand) and I'm getting very good use out of it. My seams have been nice and clean since I started using it. I have yet to fill in large gaps yet w/ caulk but I know from handy-working that caulk doesn't sand well at all. The hot glue and sanding I find isn't a big problem either. I guess it's all a matter of preference, proficiency and material being used. Looking forward to seeing more of your suit.

Maybe it's the grit level. I'm using a 60 grit with my finishing sander because I put too much bondo on to start off. The EVA foam basically melts into sticky particles and the remaining surface is very rough. I'll try some 120 grit and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

Great photos of your build so far! Your helmets are looking good, very impressed!

Thank you! I always seem to pick the hardest entry point into a hobby. In this case it's the helmet faceplate, which is highly detailed, but the way I see it, everything will be much easier once the helmet is finished.

I only spent about 15 minutes sanding bondo yesterday, and I learned a valuable lesson: NEVER underestimate the power of hand sanding and patience. Once I got into the groove (literally, haha) of some detailed areas of the helmet, things started to shape up more and I'm about ready to start applying bondo again just to smooth things out enough for primer and paint. No pictures unfortunately because it got dark really fast. I will update again this weekend.

Finally! :D
IMG_0894.JPG

Seems like you're more proud of that Cameo than your helmet! lol. Your helmet turned out awesome! Very symmetrical. Trust me, I would be proud of the cameo too if I could get one. I'm looking forward to more photos!

Seems like you're more proud of that Cameo than your helmet! lol. Your helmet turned out awesome! Very symmetrical. Trust me, I would be proud of the cameo too if I could get one. I'm looking forward to more photos!

Not at all! Haha, if you had any idea the fiasco I went through to get this thing you'd understand my excitement. This machine would have no purpose without the armor as the goal. Hence the helmet for comparison. My production speed will go way up now.

Weekend report:

I got some bondo and sanding done. You can see by the pictures how slow I am taking things compared to the practice helm, which I basically slathered in bondo compared to this more careful method.

IMG_0912.JPGIMG_0914.JPG

In between I worked with the Cameo 3 to set up marking and cutting (forgot to score the fold lines, I got ahead of myself).

Things are going well. I'm definitely in the stage where the awareness of the work is setting in. This is where most people would quit, I imagine. Not me.

Got this bicep cut and assembled as a test for both the machine and the sizing, which was good because it is definitely too small compared to the refs Chernobyl gave me. Took me about an hour between learning the Cameo and gluing it together.

IMG_0918.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0918.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I didn't have to work until the afternoon today, I spent the morning getting to know the Cameo a bit better.
It's newer than the one RobotChicken made his tutorial about, so there are a few differences - such as two tool slots - but overall the adjustment has been easy.

File_000.jpeg

I am most impressed with how fast it is. The only footage I had seen of the Cameo at work was time lapse, giving the impression that it took a while for a project to complete. Not so.

And the pieces come out beautifully.

File_001.jpeg

Here's a shot of my current workspace. Everything I need within reaching distance.

File_002.jpeg

And finally, a size comparison between the bicep I did last night and the one from this morning.

File_003.jpeg

I think I nailed it on the second try, so it may be time to start an actual armor thread to update, rather than posting here in the thread about the helmets. Or maybe just change the thread title, if I could figure out how. Thoughts?

As a parting note, this is my 50th post on 405th. Only 37 days left until I'm no longer a noob. I am excited, but it's been a long day so the celebratory energy will have to recharge.

For now, off to bed, which usually amounts to several hours optimizing pepakura files for the Cameo, followed by several more hours of reading through the forums here before I doze off.

The Reach version of the EOD helmet is honestly my favorite version of the EOD armors throughout the games. And bionicles? I thought I was the last and only one.

#bringbackeod! Come join the Exploding Fist Detachment! A place for all my EOD brothers and Sisters!

The Reach version of the EOD helmet is honestly my favorite version of the EOD armors throughout the games. And bionicles? I thought I was the last and only one.

You are not alone, by any means. Bionicle, everything about it - the story, characters, environment, music, videos, everything - has had a profound impact on my imagination that will never fade. Before this is all over, I will make a Lewa Nuva full suit and mask, even if I have to design everything myself.

#bringbackeod! Come join the Exploding Fist Detachment! A place for all my EOD brothers and Sisters!

Holy mackerel, this is like being asked to join SG-1. Your posts on deviantart were some of the first EOD inspirations I found. You're practically a deity as far as I'm concerned. so I am borderline ecstatic that you found this thread and not only took the time to comment, but extend an invitation to join the EFD. Not only that, but I've just now noticed that you're in the Southern Regiment, which will be mine as well once I can join. Too much awesome happening right now!

What would it take to join the EFD? My plan is to include as many official decals as possible on my finished suit: all the EOD, my Reach symbol, 405th, Southern Regiment, and now especially the EFD once I qualify. Please let me know what I can do on my part to make that happen!

Find EFD on FB and Join...pretty simple. get your 50 post count in and then ask BMP Props Regiment commander to be added to the Southern Reg. Its easy. Then we can get you all squared away with emblems. i will extend my reach set to you.

Just gonna say, that is a fantastic job you're doing! Your helmet turned out much better than mine did hehe. Really can't wait to see the rest of your suit if you're doing a full body. I'll be sure to check back here every once in awhile.

Find EFD on FB and Join...pretty simple. get your 50 post count in and then ask BMP Props Regiment commander to be added to the Southern Reg. Its easy. Then we can get you all squared away with emblems. i will extend my reach set to you.

Seems Godwolfen already hit the 50-posts threshold - better get them gears moving!

Just gonna say, that is a fantastic job you're doing! Your helmet turned out much better than mine did hehe. Really can't wait to see the rest of your suit if you're doing a full body. I'll be sure to check back here every once in awhile.

Thank you! I saw your blue EOD helmet, and I think it looks great. My helmet is still in the works, so no way to say it's better than yours. You've already hit that big milestone that I'm still trying to reach.

Godwolfenalready hit the 50-posts threshold - better get them gears moving!

I sent a PM to BMP Props and am waiting to hear back about joining the Southern Regiment. In the meantime:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    840.8 KB · Views: 437
Some bondo work today. Dusted the helmet with black spray paint for better contrast.

IMG_0935.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 188
My Dell laptop is dying. This is very bad for pepakura work. All my other functional computers are Mac.

More bondo and sanding. I could work on this stage forever and probably never be satisfied, so I may try to wrap up this week in order to start the painting and detailing process.

Here's the helmet currently.

IMG_0945.JPGIMG_0946.JPG

This is the interior showing how the light reveals areas that are dangerously thin. I will be pouring another interior coat of smooth cast before detailing.

IMG_0947.JPG

And here's the practice helmet. It's not worth trying to finish, but is still invaluable for tests. I cut out the nape of the neck and the visor, then gave it a coat of primer to try out some paints.

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

Great build so far dude!
I've been really tempted to try a proper Pep build recently, if yours looks good when you finish, I'll try one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back