Real jet-pack option for Spartan Armor( 250,000$)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedirish

I wanted to post this in the off-topic forum but I cant yet, and I just had to share.

I am a mechanical engineering student and I am always keeping up to date on cool start-up inventions but this one slipped by me.

The Martin Jetpack - 250k
small and capable of over a 200ft. jump or 20 secs of flight. Sound like something similar?

My idea ( ideas rarely result in a finished product)
We build rockets here for fun at my school, usually a group project and I am certain I am going to propose this next semester.
Why not cut the tank size down to 1/2 gallon of H2O2 , instead of 4g. Engine requirements are questionable atm but a little math and a student think tank could solve that...and shoot for a design that could lift a 200pd person several feet in the air for a dramatic jump?

I saw their youtube video and immediately thought of incorporating it into a costume. They currently make money performing shows and He's already wearing a costume of sorts lol. Anyway just a fun idea I thought I would share, if the proposal gets approved and interest doesnt wane...this might have a very slight chance of getting past the blueprint phase. I think this outrageous idea would be immensely fun to just to draw up and calculate the requirements.

A group of students from some school proposed the idea of a batman grappling hook and ran with it. They were successful, they even made several different *hooks* that attach/adhere to various materials, even flat concrete walls. The military actually bought it, if im not mistaken. Student Projects like these aren't impossible, just highly dangerous if saftey precautions arent met and costly.

Anyway thought I'd share, excited to get started on my Locke helmet in several weeks! I'm going to buy the cast from dutch props and go from there. Highly recommend everyone check their cast, looks amazing.

If you have some silver mesh and peroxide lying around, why not? My immediate thoughts are:

1) Need somwhere for the superheated steam to go other than the user's ankles. Not just a safety issue- if it's hitting itself, it's a "fan on a sailboat" issue, you're losing net thrust.

2) Having nozzles sticking out the back of someone makes little sense given the location of our centre of gravity. The whole placement thing would need some work, unless the unit is so heavy that it shifts the CoM substantially rearward (big ass joke here?)

3) Nozzle shape? Is there one that can provide both soft start (to avoid ripping bones out of sockets or concussions) and maximum thrust? Should there be two sets and a diversion system? Would max thrust even matter for jumps only lasting 3-4 seconds at a time? Would it even be able to damage the user if it's a relatively low thrust for just a few feet of hopping?

...I think that's it.

If you can calculate the gas flow requirements for an optimum nozzle to accelerate a person upward at no more than, say, jogging pace, then work backwards from that for fuel flow (assuming a given decomp efficiency and gas volume at its expected temperature) you'd start getting an idea of weight.

Oh, wait:

4) Given the large proportion of O2 molecules in the exhaust stream... Afterburners? :devil

If you have some silver mesh and peroxide lying around, why not? My immediate thoughts are:

1) Need somwhere for the superheated steam to go other than the user's ankles. Not just a safety issue- if it's hitting itself, it's a "fan on a sailboat" issue, you're losing net thrust.

2) Having nozzles sticking out the back of someone makes little sense given the location of our centre of gravity. The whole placement thing would need some work, unless the unit is so heavy that it shifts the CoM substantially rearward (big ass joke here?)

3) Nozzle shape? Is there one that can provide both soft start (to avoid ripping bones out of sockets or concussions) and maximum thrust? Should there be two sets and a diversion system? Would max thrust even matter for jumps only lasting 3-4 seconds at a time? Would it even be able to damage the user if it's a relatively low thrust for just a few feet of hopping?

...I think that's it.

If you can calculate the gas flow requirements for an optimum nozzle to accelerate a person upward at no more than, say, jogging pace, then work backwards from that for fuel flow (assuming a given decomp efficiency and gas volume at its expected temperature) you'd start getting an idea of weight.

Oh, wait:

4) Given the large proportion of O2 molecules in the exhaust stream... Afterburners? :devil

While all these are true, RobTC is missing one vital point.

THATS FREAKIN AMAZING!!!!! (If you pull it off, that is)

And seeing how DARPA's screwin around with human DNA to try and make soldiers 'Olyimpic quality'. Give them a little 'push' in the right direction, (I reckon a 4 page document detailing how the armour would make americas soldiers better than everyone should do) and we coiuld have ACTUAL spartans on our hands. can anyone say.... THIS.IS. SPARTAAAAAAAA!

it's an amazing idea i know that some guys on youtube made a co2 system for their halo 5 armor that looks like the thing in the game for ideas you could look them up. search co2 booster pack you might find them. i can't until saturday but wheni do i'll try to post and show you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back