Real Mjolnir Armor (Proof Of Concept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMer56

Sr Member
A month or so ago I was sick enough not to go to school, but not sick enough to work on some hobbies (I forget what I had). I was doodling some circuit schematics, and it came to me: using switches for power armor. Granted they don't recognize how hard they are pushed (just on-off), thus a one speed action, thankfully in 2 directions.

Confused yet? Watch the video (I dressed the robotic arm up in some of my armor!), and all will be answered. Please excuse me, as I am more at home in front of the keyboard than a camera...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhbeP5JmHig[/media]

Notice the room has a whole bunch of stuff in it? My stuff... full of electronic goodies!

Note there is only one motor, I couldn't find a suitable second motor... so sad :(

How do I embed the video? :p

Thats cool.

to embed the video you just click on 'insert media' next to the one for pics and stuff.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhbeP5JmHig[/media]

Aha! Thanks! Thought I had to use the embed code Youtube provides, guess not! Yay!

Nice work. If you had a larger budget, it'd be nice to have a fullsize spartan walking with you ;). I'd suggest sending this to HaloGoddess, for she was interested in some method for making a fake prosthetic arm for the Reach Premiere (She wanted to dress up as Kat.)

I'll be interested to see what else you churn out!

Cheers!

That's cool. If you can figure out how to do it with micro/momentary switches and stepper motors, I'd be all over it. I've got alot of data on it, but have yet to find the time to bring it to life. The down side is the power requirements for steppers.

JUICE said:
The down side is the power requirements for steppers.

Now if I can just make a fusion reactor... all I need is some palladium and deuterium. If it were only that easy. Some guys at Oklahoma (or Ohio?) university supposedly managed to make one in 1989, but there has been no conclusive proof on whether it is real or not.

Sniperbaas392 said:
I'd suggest sending this to HaloGoddess, for she was interested in some method for making a fake prosthetic arm for the Reach Premiere (She wanted to dress up as Kat.)

I just did.

Isn't it amazing on what I can do on a budget of squat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Military is working on a power suit, its pretty cool

lol i dont know how to post a vid but theres the link...or just go to youtube and type in robotic exoskeleton.

Deadlights801 said:
lol i dont know how to post a vid

shmalofan said:
to embed the video you just click on 'insert media' next to the one for pics and stuff.

^^ i already said it once in here.

You just click on 'insert media' when composing message.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0X1vyWU6bw[/media]

Deadlights801 said:
Military is working on a power suit, its pretty cool

Yes, but what is it powered by? A large extension cord! Plus my method is simple and cheap.

in the halo novels the orbital super mac gun stations were powered by energy generators on the planets surface and a company is already testing this on hand held devices so the suit could be powered the same way

Tyvern said:
in the halo novels the orbital super mac gun stations were powered by energy generators on the planets surface and a company is already testing this on hand held devices so the suit could be powered the same way

Cancer, anyone?

thats truly genius man, with a bit of money and access to resources it has a lot of potential. for the record, i have seen a vid somewhere of a fully functioning exoskeleton, equipped with NBC capability, comms, and compartment for med supplies. it is also ballistically protected. i believe the guy who made it pitched the idea to your military and they turned it down due to cost. was a fantastic concept though.

on a side note, i do a lot of research into up comming technologies and theories in the field of phyichs as a hobby, and recently came accross working shield technology. it uses a 'cold plasma' field generator, which creates a shield against waves of energy, so if we had any energy weapons, we could stop them. wont stop projectile weapons, although it would protect the user from the heat energy of a 'hot plasma' shield which would. unfortunatel hot plasma require A LOT more energy than cold. thought you might all be interested

hognoshal said:
thats truly genius man, with a bit of money and access to resources it has a lot of potential. for the record, i have seen a vid somewhere of a fully functioning exoskeleton, equipped with NBC capability, comms, and compartment for med supplies. it is also ballistically protected. i believe the guy who made it pitched the idea to your military and they turned it down due to cost. was a fantastic concept though.

on a side note, i do a lot of research into up comming technologies and theories in the field of phyichs as a hobby, and recently came accross working shield technology. it uses a 'cold plasma' field generator, which creates a shield against waves of energy, so if we had any energy weapons, we could stop them. wont stop projectile weapons, although it would protect the user from the heat energy of a 'hot plasma' shield which would. unfortunatel hot plasma require A LOT more energy than cold. thought you might all be interested

I've heard of "cold plasma", also known as a plasma window if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately those things are about an inch in diameter.

I think I've also seen that guy with the exo suit you are talking about, this guy?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqa08UGZGtk[/media]

That suit isn't powered. :(

If I had the money though, I'd do something like this:

2986616240_a8a211d482.jpg

I've also heard of a genrator, looks like so:

Generator-1.jpg

The metals are different types (I.E. copper and Iron). One is heated, and one isn't, (they are thermally insulated from each other except for a small piece) The difference in temperature causes a slight potential difference between the two. Put a couple of thousand of these together and voila! This is relatively simple, so it can get very small.

I thank you all for the compliments. My goal is to get something similar to the earliest stage of RoboGadget (You know, the Inspector Gadget movie?)... a robotic torso-thingy.

GMer56 said:
I've heard of "cold plasma", also known as a plasma window if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately those things are about an inch in diameter.

I think I've also seen that guy with the exo suit you are talking about, this guy?

That suit isn't powered. :(

If I had the money though, I'd do something like this:

2986616240_a8a211d482.jpg

I've also heard of a genrator, looks like so:

Generator-1.jpg

The metals are different types (I.E. copper and Iron). One is heated, and one isn't, (they are thermally insulated from each other except for a small piece) The difference in temperature causes a slight potential difference between the two. Put a couple of thousand of these together and voila! This is relatively simple, so it can get very small.

I thank you all for the compliments. My goal is to get something similar to the earliest stage of RoboGadget (You know, the Inspector Gadget movie?)... a robotic torso-thingy.

Cool! I've been looking into something similar a good site to look into is http://arduino.cc it is an open source micro controller, cheap and using potentiometers would give more control, am planning on trying something myself when I finish my current project

As far as it goes, powered exoskeletal armor is totally possible, and even plausible for military use. The main issue, here, is power supply, but even then, there are prototype batteries capable of sustaining the suit for several hours. Eventually, we'll have micro fusion-packs, though. :lol

The only other real problem with it is that there is a lot of code involved in keeping them running, plus they have no hands. Though, the latter issue is more easily solved with newer, more precise motion technologies.

Good to see, though, that a simple fan of a game thought of a workable method by which to do this.

Have you thought of running smaller equipment through the arm, to the point it's wearable and has the same joint flexion as your arm, so you can use it as a true set of powered armor? Then, with the same switch setup, you could just lift your arm and it would follow until your arm stopped depressing the switch. Apply to all joints, and you've got, basically, what the US Army is testing currently.

SchizophrenicMC said:
Have you thought of running smaller equipment through the arm, to the point it's wearable and has the same joint flexion as your arm, so you can use it as a true set of powered armor? Then, with the same switch setup, you could just lift your arm and it would follow until your arm stopped depressing the switch. Apply to all joints, and you've got, basically, what the US Army is testing currently.

You described phase 2 (phase 3 hase pressure sensors, phase four is an entire torso). I just need to get a more powerful motor so it will augment my strength instead of being a hinderance.

GMer56 said:
You described phase 2 (phase 3 hase pressure sensors, phase four is an entire torso). I just need to get a more powerful motor so it will augment my strength instead of being a hinderance.

Rock on. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back