Rebuilding an old suit to be better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
As the title suggests, I will be rebuilding my old suit to be better than it was before. Looking to add more detail, a better undersuit, and if possible more maneuverability. I'm looking for some help in figuring out a few things though. The main thing being the visor. Last time I made the helmet pepped, but this time I'm going to make it from foam since that's my new preferred method. Problem is the Security Helmet has a really oddly shaped visor and I'm unsure how to make it without having creases in the tint film or without a good solid buck to make a vacuum form visor. Another thing I'm looking for advice on is good leg under armor. The top half is a motorcycle riding jacket and works great, but my lower half has always been just a pair of black slacks. Anyone got any good suggestions on a lower undersuit? As time goes I'll add pics as the build goes, but for now here's what the old one looked like:
13403367_10208113137240874_7806240021423240695_o.jpg
13443102_10208113130200698_183646928166586884_o.jpg

19511262_1848903775123444_8969085074931923660_n.jpg

Slacks are going to be loose and bunchy. I would recommend pants that are tighter and can stretch.

I myself am seeking a better undersuit, and my conclusion is to make it myself. McCalls has a pattern (#7340) that shows promise. FANGS has said moleskin spandex for a fabric, so (when I get better employment nailed down) I intend to make an under suit that will include details and POCKETS!!!!! to finish my suit. I have a build thread for it, but at the pace my life is going you'll probably finish yours first.

But if not you're welcome to copy mine if you want.

Agreed with Sean Anwalt that for the best look and comfort, go with a custom body suit. I've done one for my Reach armour and am about to start a Halo 3 styled body suit using this method.

Patterns are great but a lot of the cosplay and costume commercial patterns are a "one size fits most" type deal and they don't have all the details that a SPARTAN would have on their suit. Drawing panels and vents on your body to get them accurately placed and aligned in the planning stage is invaluable for the finished product being a proper tight fit without having to go back and make adjustments and alterations to the base pattern.

Agreed with Sean Anwalt that for the best look and comfort, go with a custom body suit. I've done one for my Reach armour and am about to start a Halo 3 styled body suit using this method.

Patterns are great but a lot of the cosplay and costume commercial patterns are a "one size fits most" type deal and they don't have all the details that a SPARTAN would have on their suit. Drawing panels and vents on your body to get them accurately placed and aligned in the planning stage is invaluable for the finished product being a proper tight fit without having to go back and make adjustments and alterations to the base pattern.
That's a good idea. I'm not the best at sewing, though I do have a few friends that are. Maybe I can work a deal with them. Is there a certain fabric that you personally like to use for the patterns?

That's a good idea. I'm not the best at sewing, though I do have a few friends that are. Maybe I can work a deal with them. Is there a certain fabric that you personally like to use for the patterns?
I do the duct tape mummy method and then transfer to butcher paper or brown paper drop sheets for painting. It's super cheap and fairly rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back