Recon Helmet: First Actual Pepakura (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadier

The first time I tried to do Pepakura I got antsy and ended up only completing half of the gluing process. I ended up gluing the big parts to foam and ended up with this:

IMG_0022_zps210f0c8c.jpg

So now I'm actually taking on a real Pepakura project: the Recon helmet.

So after a long night of cutting out pieces, followed by another long night of folding, I spent last night gluing the whole thing together.

I've got this. It'll be well into next week before I get to do more work on it and seal it up nice.

IMG_0021_zps96af6244.jpg

upload them to photobucket or similar and then use the direct img url and paste that into the add image function of this forum. Dont worry, I had to same issue when I started aha

After a lot of research I've decided to try the hot glue method, which involves melting down hot glue and essentially painting the inside with the glue.

So today in preparation for the hot glue I used some Mod Podge to coat all the exterior and interior seems. After it dried I put 2 whole coats on the outside and then the one coat on the inside.

The overall quality of the build has hardened up.

d2bb55baac30969026ace1587115ee73.jpg

Quick question - why is the chin a separate piece? Build looks great! Haven't seen the hot glue method actually used before, this'll be interesting!

I am adding a hinge to the chin portion so that it can be easily taken on and off. There's a good chance I won't be the wearer of this helmet, so it allows for bigger heads than mine to get in there.

I am adding a hinge to the chin portion so that it can be easily taken on and off. There's a good chance I won't be the wearer of this helmet, so it allows for bigger heads than mine to get in there.

I see. I'll be using a similar idea on my Iron Man helmet, because I'll be casting it, and it'll need to fit on other people's heads as well. Way to be resourceful man!

Alright, so first attempt at hot glue was a failure.

25f4a006678ff6a4212e46258b185d7b.jpg

I put 5 hi-temp sticks into a disposable pie crust pan and put in the oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. It melted down, I took it out and started painting it in. The first brush looked great, then in the 10 seconds it took to get to the second brush stroke the glue had hardened too far and started getting wiry.

902d22fdc0bcffe38c8a085b27a52b5f.jpg

Attempt 2 went better.

8a250afff4b4d28dec9f32da67f0c2b8.jpg

The right side looks ugly, from where I painted it before. The left side was done with just the hot glue gun and a lot of patience.

However, the weight of the chin piece alone is quite heavy. So we'll see how the helmet fairs afterward.

So I've been hot glueing the crap out of the inside of the helmet, my wrist hurts from pulling the trigger of the hot glue gun. Here's what I've got so far.

00e4be53220c6f7406f4cf99dcc52057.jpg

I ended up having to reattach the chin. The Mod Podge tightened up the helmet and when I went to attach it with the hinge, the pieces didn't fit together.

I guess I'll have to figure out how to make it easier to get on and off.

2298686bc4453edf41da865624bbb653.jpg

Nice build and that hot glue trick is pretty cool. how sturdy did it make the helmet? and do you then put fiberglass or anything in there with it?

The problem with what you're doing with the chin is that without the pieces being hardened while kept in place, they'll be a different shape. What I'm doing for my helmet is resining the whole thing with the pieces all together and then taking the pieces apart once it's all hardened. That way, the pieces will have the right shape when fitting them together.

Hope this helps!

I've used Mod Podge before but it was more for an illustration not something like this. How did it work out? I live in an apartment where certain techniques prohibit me from doing it hence why I'm building my suit out of foam. If Mod Podge is a viable method to hardening the helmet then that may be something I may consider for my helmet.

Nice build and that hot glue trick is pretty cool. how sturdy did it make the helmet? and do you then put fiberglass or anything in there with it?

Let's just say that I accidentally dropped the helmet off the counter onto a tile floor and it didn't even dent. There were some noticeable stress marks near the back. But it's pretty durable. I live in an apartment and can't really fiberglass or resin, but I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

The problem with what you're doing with the chin is that without the pieces being hardened while kept in place, they'll be a different shape. What I'm doing for my helmet is resining the whole thing with the pieces all together and then taking the pieces apart once it's all hardened. That way, the pieces will have the right shape when fitting them together.

You are correct. I noticed this as soon as I went to attach the chin. More on this below...

I've used Mod Podge before but it was more for an illustration not something like this. How did it work out? I live in an apartment where certain techniques prohibit me from doing it hence why I'm building my suit out of foam. If Mod Podge is a viable method to hardening the helmet then that may be something I may consider for my helmet.

At this point I've put a total of 4 layers of Mod Podge on the outside and one layer on the inside. Then I did a single layer of hot glue on the inside. Then did another hot glue layer in the dome.

So....

Once I got all the parts glued and what not I realized that the chin wouldn't fit. I felt dumb for not realizing it sooner.

I got frustrated with the helmet and reattached the chin with some extra card stock. After all the glue and Mod Podge dried the helmet shrank a size. I tried to put it on and ended up with this:

e46ff7301087d32f88704b5345c72e2f.jpg

So I've decided to finish it by Plastidipping, painting, and then weathering it. Then I'm going to give it to my brother since it won't fit anyone else I know.

And then I guess I'll be starting over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back