Recon Pep Helm Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey 405th

I have decided to start a recon pep helmet and have a craft knife, craft board and the printed pep-but no hot glue gun! I could not get one yesterday so im going out today to get on! I need some advice now, Thanks!- :D

i strongly recommend you dont use hot glue on your first pep project( hotglue is not your friend to say the least). use elmers glue or "tacky glue" if you can find it.

also as for a first project i recommend you start small ( i started with AO2 masks and frag grenades) just to learn the ropes of peping so to speak. If you haven't already read the stickies, read them. they will help you alot

-Dusty

so true! , but also wouldn't recommend super glue because you either glue yourself together or you glue yourself to your project , trust me been there done that , hot glue guns are pretty handy though especially for quick make frames out of paddle pop sticks but be careful as you can and most likely will burn yourself

just like dusty said start small , i started off doing a hd mk6 and it was a nightmare! , small,simple and low poly is a great start

and on another note , read the stickies there a new persons best friend , hell even i go back through them from time to time , it always helps

good luck and cant wait to see more progress

Hey, a fellow recon artist. Get it?

Anyway, i use hot glue, it works the best for me.

but i dont recommend for a first project.

i used for my first progress, but i already have experience using hot glue.

dont want to see people glued to helmets on this thread. :)

hope to see pictures.

Dusty said:
i strongly recommend you dont use hot glue on your first pep project, hotglue is not your friend to say the least use elmers glue or "tacky glue" if you can find it.

also as for a first project i recommend you start small ( i started with AO2 masks and frag grenades) just to learn the ropes of peping so to speak. If you haven't already read the stickies, read them. they will help you alot

-Dusty

Hey Dusty,

By elmers glue or "tacky glue" I believe what you are talking about is PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate)-that's what we call it over the pond here in the UK.

Note-It is tacky but it gets everywhere and too little doesn't work and a bit too much and It slips like hell!

GiR3892-I have used super-glue before for warhammer and I have stuck my fingertips together, trust me!

A_Guardian-hey hey, yep we are both recon artists

General note_do you think I should use hot glue but with rubber gloves or something so I don't end up with a helmet stuck to me! :lol

If not, what shall I use?

~Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
gloves might work, but youd have to worry about melting them.

mist people get burned by the tip, not the glue.

so if you can find a hot glue gun with an insulated tip, that might be your best bet.

Hey guys

Would this work?-[media]http://www.staples.co.uk/office-supplies/glue-and-sticky-tape/glue-guns/hot-melt-glue-gun-2-sticks[/media]

Thx

Hot glue can be terrible, cause you only get 1 shot. I found a 3-pack of elmer's "craft Bond" for a buck, at where else? the dollar store. Sets up faster, and stronger. Tacky is still the best for me though. I use hot glue for strengthening fragile bonds.

I use elmer's glue then for the place where elmer's glue is very hard to use, I borrow my cousin's hot glue.(I live with my cousin)

as long as u are willing to experiment, a bit of wasted time and paper (oh and cash) - it shouldnt really matter what you start off with. Its all abt trial and error and experience.

I personally like hot glue - been using it ever since I 1st started. But I scratch build other stuff as well - so love having a hto glue gun about.

the link you had to the loctite glue gun at staples is fine

any glue gun with an insultaed tip (which a lot fo the hoby ones are - ie theres some rubber covering over the hot metal tip end) should go. I think I bought a generic brand one from staples for abt £6. PLaces like hobby craft or a local hobby store should stock em.

make sure you got the right sized ones - I picked the hobby size ie 7mm diameter glue sticks. There are DIY sized ones at 11mm and 20mm at places like B&Q.

I also bought moer glue sticks off the internet. For some reason - cant find a cheap place to get em. I did High Rez MC helm with abt 4 7mm sticks.

good luck

I'd go with Elmer's glue, the nice thing is it bonds in 5 seconds or less and, if you get it on your hands it rubs right off. Note: Tacky glue does not, (for me anyhow). Also make sure to grab a good x-acto knife for scoring/cutting. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. ;)

I find hot glue a bit unwieldy for pepping, so I use loclite precision super glue. It stays together incredibly well, and is not messy at all. It's cheap too, and simple to use!

Before you consider my suggestions, keep in mind that pain is a low priority for me in my projects; I don't mind getting acid/glue/whatever burns, I don't mind getting scuffed or grazed a bit. I don't tolerate cuts or intakes of gas fumes however. Durability is generally a high priority for me. I like my adhesives to be waterproof at least. Also, speed is a plus. I tend to want to be efficient with time as well as with materials.

I've had fairly good experience with hot glue. It's easy to apply, it dries fairly fast, is waterproof, and is fairly durable. Apart from the stringing hot glue usually does when you pull the nozzle of the gun away, it treats you well. Also, expect to be burned alot. You will need to press tabs that are still wet with molten glue. Glue one tab at a time, no matter how easy gluing two tabs at once might look.

That's my advice. Hope you find an adhesive that works for you :)

Update:

I worked from about 5:00pm to 9:00pm on and off on this and still needs allot of work. But sorry It says that I have used 2.85mb of my 4.88mb allowance for pics and I don't know why. :(

Any comments would be great.

P.S. I used a Clarke high temp hot glue gun with an insulated tip from Machine Mart for this.

Hey guys

sorry I have been feeling TERRIBLE lately and have made no progress in almost 2 weeks! OMG I FEEL ILL!!!

I have finished the top part but its not very good and im gonna take a break and make a nice simple SMG.

Oops i may have forgotten to scale my helmet-(CONTENT DELETED)

and still it says no more pics-I NEED THE HELP OF A MODERATOR PLZ!!!!

Updates soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back