recon (reach) helm

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulture pilot

i updated here cuz i didnt want to put pics in the back of the thread so now i can put them all in the front

Good evening (my time) ladies and gentlemen; most likely gentlemen, well i am making a halo reach recon helm for comic con this year for 2011. I am a complete noob to ever attempting this and new to this site. i was inspired by spase products halo 3 recon helm and wanted to make the reach one since i havent seen one yet :]

My progress:

Picture0122.jpg

using pepurika ( prob spelled wrong), and i used super glue and lots of tape and cut lots of paper

Picture0123.jpg

so on and so on until its all done. then i fiber glassed it which i pretty much did outside and inside to give it structure and used a little bit of bondo tho i didnt think it was necessary.

next using plasteline clay (green) and halo reach using the theatere mode as a reference i sculpted the recon helm as best as possible!

1308012873halfhelpless_0606111620.jpg

after that i wanted to make a mold: NOT A NECESSARY PROCESS!!!!!! but if u want to make more than one, then it is :]

using silicone rubber from the smooth on company i brushed on a thick coat of rubber to make a shell mold off the clay mold or the mother mold in this case.

1307733684halfhelpless_0610111133.jpg

now we have the rubber and now it needs support because when you take it off it will be all flimsy and warp if i try to put plastic in it. so now we set up to add a plastic shell as support.

1.jpg

i apologize for it being side ways but whats going on is the plastic shell needs to be separated in the end so im putting a clay and foil barrier to prevent the shell from being one wole piece :$ now to lay on the plastic

2.jpg

do the same for the other side and make sure to use the extra foil to prevent the other side from sticking to the other side because u want the plastic to encase the entire helmet. this stuff is called plasti paste. also made from smooth on

3.jpg

in the end u ll has a shell and the rubber mold and can remove both and put the together again to make a plastic one! just buy pour in plastic :]

4.jpg

this is what i got out of the mold, a little rough but thing sandpaper and elbow grease can fix. now remove the lens area to install a lens.

5.jpg

awesome! now we have a lens but it didnt set right so theres a gap between the helm and lens :/ but dont fret we can fix!

6.jpg

be what i did. i took a lens and cut it to make it fit and screwed it in. still gotta fix the gap

7.jpg

i used some repair putty and sanded it down to make it flush :] looking a lot cleaner now.

alright not to paint!

8.jpg

this is primer. got a lot of work to do but this is where i am at now. if anyone knows how to install motor cycle helmet padding please let me know :] im still a noob but i m happy with the results thus far. there are things that need to be fixed but its fixable.

update:

=.= some ppl no believe this is mine cuz i didnt go through the peparika process much, because i didnt take a lot of pics. i can destroy the clay model to show all of you if it will get me banned if i dont >.>

all right today i got to put on the metallic coat after the primer :] im aiming to sand it down to make it look worn after the colored coats are put on.

0703111423.jpg

sadly i put on the next coat too soon cuz of my noobieness and the dark grey coat cracked on me in a lot of areas and i got so mad that i almost destroyed the helm but i didnt. i ll upload the next pic after i clean that off and get it right. :'[

1-1.jpg

these were the cracks i didnt like so i wanted to fix it

reserved for more pics

2-1.jpg

i took primer to the helm trying to remove the cracks

3-1.jpg

:/ i couldnt get all of it removed but ima leave as is. not to to bad but i just realized the helm sits a lil high. oh well =.=

4-1.jpg

i put the lens in, still not too bad

whats going on here is like i said, helms riding a lil high, and how i noticed is cuz my chin sticks out a lil. so to fix it im adding appoxy so it ll be flush with my chin and i dont look like a derp.

1-2.jpg

all right for those that didnt believe i used pep well here ya go

2-2.jpg

i uses a lil bondo to round it out a lil and used A LOT of clay (plasteline kinds) its oil based so it never drys out. see i can even stick my finger in it after months of sitting there.

3-2.jpg

ooooo see all that tape and fiber glass resin. looks ghetto XD

due to low funding (yes i got motor cycle helm padding) and time i found an alternate to protect my head from the harsh plastic on my skull.

4-2.jpg

yes it works, its comfy, and will make ppl laugh wen i take the helm off so they can see XD

mmmmmhmmm that be me

260574_237610922934041_100000554061202_877713_6247107_n.jpg

ok so u saw the black coat, well if were making a proper reach recon helmet there is more to it.

1-3.jpg

This is a green coat for the primary parts of the helmet. I FREAKING HATE THIS COLOR!!!!! but we ll make it work. it wasnt the same as the lid so i blame the paint. There is massive amount of tape to remove and i ll show you what that looks like.

s.jpg

tada! ok still hating that green and it needs to look way cooler than that if i am going to wear it. so lets go back and adjust that awful green and pitch black color with some damage shall we.

y.jpg

now thats what im talking about!!!!!!!! damage is good and that awful green is adjusted. just needs the white stripes and we are done ladies and gents.

reserved if needed

d.jpg

it be done ladies and gents :] decal and all done. i can figure out lining later. a beanie works fine for now. first project ever! and not too bad i have to say.

so this is probably why i havent heard much of you latley. nice job so far. another thing, ive gained a real interest in the recon helmet ever since i saw your first post. been downloading a few recon helmets but not one of them look as nice as yours. could you send me the file you used please!

so this is probably why i havent heard much of you latley. nice job so far. another thing, ive gained a real interest in the recon helmet ever since i saw your first post. been downloading a few recon helmets but not one of them look as nice as yours. could you send me the file you used please!

actually if you found a recon helm thats all corners and not smooth, thats the one i used, i ll attempt to look it up i should have the file somewhere i think. but thats what the lil bondo was for and lots of clay. i ll destroy the clay odel to show you all its pep and it actually has corners and stuff with fiber glass resin :]

no no no no!dont bust anything. i already believe you! but i cant find any reach recon helms. just crappy halo 3 ones that are all corners pretty much.

Zwave, At the risk of being a little rude, you really need to start reading the stickies across the forum. All the pepakura files you've been requesting (across several threads) are most likely found in the sticky thread "All-in-One-Pepakura-File-Pack" started by Heavygunner. Do a quick search and you won't need to keep asking everyone for files and you won't draw unwanted frustration from forum members.

got that thing ages ago. it too is a h3 not reach. reach helms are much better in my oppinion. ive hadbthe all in one for about a month now. what type of clay are you using?

got that thing ages ago. it too is a h3 not reach. reach helms are much better in my oppinion. ive hadbthe all in one for about a month now.
Zwave, the helmet file that the OP used WAS a H3 model (belakor's smooth unfold) that he modified to be the reach version. Also it IS in the All in One pack StarvinArtist mentioned.

To OP: Helmet looks fantastic, I eagerly await updates.

i know that it is in the all in one but i thought that was a reach! nobody told me that was a h3 mod recon. well i feel stupid now. who cares. is there even a reach recon helmet file?

i know that it is in the all in one but i thought that was a reach! nobody told me that was a h3 mod recon. well i feel stupid now. who cares. is there even a reach recon helmet file?

>.> yeah its a h3 mod. like i keep saying, lots of clay ..... lots of clay lol

looks better than when you started. and i agree that is a terrible shade of green. looks sorta like slime. and dont mind me with a recon helm. doing a test build for jico of his air assualt. easily the best aiir assault ive seen evers. keep up the work. and hell if you dont like that colour ill buy it off you and you use your mold and start back there. only a suggestion.

=.= what does it take?

What does it take to get feed back? im not looking for compliments, more on critiques. is my helm that bland? is the paint decent? what would you have done different? is the helmet acceptable?

ok.
1 if you still can take of that terrible green paint. i meant what isaid
2 i honestly would have put in more battle damage
3 adding leds would make it look pretty cool
4 if you keep that admitadley crappy green add some other things on to it like a decal or something, coz thats what im gonna do when i finnish my first helm, give it a realnice decal of dragon
5 your helmet is acceptable
6 i want that friggin helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back