Red vs. Blue Felix build. LET THE FUN (and possibly pain) BEGIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixMercenary

So, before I can begin to cut the parts out, I need to know one thing, and maybe several other things.

Okay, I need to know if anyone able and willing to assist me in my construction lives nearby. If you live in the State College or Altoona area, let me know. I will definitely need help with all the steps as this is my first suit.

Now the fun begins! (Not really)

What I'm planning to do is the full-on Felix cosplay, armor and all, but with my own personal flare.
What I mean by "Personal Flare" is things that I believe would be a nice mix with Felix's personality and my sense of style and sense for aesthetics.

Therefore, I plan to add a cloak to Felix's apparel. For those of you not in the know, a cloak is not just a hood and cape, it is any kind of fabric that is bound to a person via their neck and/ or shoulders. What I plan to do is have a cloak with a design I will create for Felix, unless he decides to make one that is canon.

Here's the priority list. With one (1) being an immediate need.

1. [*=center]Scaling the Pepakura files to my body dimensions
    [*=center]Materials (Specific thickness of EVA foam)
    [*=center]Under suit (Where to buy and how much)
    [*=center]Paint (What brands)
    [*=center]Materials, that are con-friendly, for building weapons

Now the deadline I have in mind is by May of 2016, in time for Sci Fi Valley Con so I can chill with some of my 405th buddies.

Below is a table consisting of what I need built and have done.
DoneNot Done
Helmet
Torso
Biceps/Shoulders
Forearms
Hands
Groin
Calves
Shin Area
Feet
Yeah, I have this much to do. I do believe that the torso is what is going to take the longest, after scaling of course.
I would like to keep a full range of movement. As in, jumping, sprinting, sitting, etc. etc.

This thread will be open to updates and image adding as we progress in the steps​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Felix.
While I can't help you with the live nearby portion, it's kinda a 4 hour drive =/ I can help with some of the questions.
1. HaloGoddess has created the ultimate all you'll ever need to know tutorial on scaling: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627&highlight=halogoddess
2. Most everyone uses the EVA foam you can buy at Harbor Freight or Home Depot, with the latter being more expensive. It is 1/2" foam mats that come in a 4 pack of 24" square tiles. Then there is the 2mm craft foam you can buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby that is used for detailing work.
3. There are different varieties of undersuits, most common being some form of Under Armour brand. I personally use a standard black Under Armour shirt with a armored motorcycle jacket on top of that for the upper half, and a pair of slack black pants or more Under Armour for the lower half. This one is going to be all on your own personal preference, so try shopping around online for the best look.
4. I myself am still learning what paints to use and what not to use, so I'm going to have to let someone else answer on that one. Though I do recommend some acrylic paint for detailing and weathering.
5. As long as it's not a sharp piece of wood or steel blade, usually any other material is accepted at cons. You got to see my energy sword, and all that was was plexiglass without a sharp edge. This question really depends on the con rules too, as many will differ. Example: My NERF SAW replica was allowed at PAX with the clip out, but was not allowed at Ohayocon even without the clip.

If you have anymore question just ask away =)

For paints I use Krylon spray paints, but you'll want to plasti dip the foam first I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
As for weapons it all depends on the con, at NYCC you technically can't have anything that shoots so Nerf isn't allowed, but plenty of people bring it anyways and get in fine. You can try using insulation foam or something similar to create a lightweight and con friendly weapon.

If you want, I fully completed my Felix build a while ago - have a read of my build log, you might find some resources you need!

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=44428&p=727973#post727973

If you need some idea of how a Felix build looks in real life, my latest photo shoot with the full suit is here: http://imgur.com/gallery/aG3nv

Give me a shout if you've got any questions on the build or how to complete parts of yours, I know this variant and model inside and out by now! Good Luck!

As of today, I set my deadline for mid-October. In order to make this deadline, I have decided to go an alternate path. I will assemble the cardstock parts and then fiberglass the pieces. Afterwards, I'll place the foam on the inside as cushioning.

Here's the shin so far. I'm filled with joy right now as it seems possible to be done by my Mid-October deadline.
filename_by_theshadowsderp-d93ws9v.jpg

**UPDATE INBOUND**

Well, I've found out that if I want this suit done by my deadline, and I want to be able to wear it, I need to do it in foam. I'm slightly irritated because this was my initial plan, and I let various people convince me out of it. So I'm going back to foam.

Luckily, the shiznite88 has provided me with some foam files. I've hit a MASSIVE road block. My laptop, that I've been using for all my suit building needs, has died. And I am nowhere near being able to afford another.

Howver, there is a silver lining to this grey supercell of death looming over my build. Both the Colonial Regiment forum admins are local and they have agreed to assist me in my build. Albeit, the whole build is up in the air right now unless I can find a usable laptop with pep designer.

***UPDATE INBOUND***

So, today is the 4th of October and the deadline is 16 days away. I'm making progress. I'm currently posting pictures of the build and these updates from my iPad so it might get a bit jankey. I've cut out the pepakura pieces for the boots, so that's one thing done. Tomorrow I plan to do the shoulders. I'm starting with the smaller, easier to redo pieces while I'm still getting into the routine and learning what to do and what not to do. When Thursday rolls around, I'll get Ashurra to help me out with the actual foam cutting out.

Im getting nervous. I'm having doubts. But when I do, I just remember that I've got this great community backing me. You guys are my motivation and I won't let you down. I'll do my best and keep you posted along the way. I've come too far, talked too much, and made too many plans to quit or fail now. I will get this done by the 20th. That is a fact.

***UPDATE INBOUND***

The deadline is closing in. I'd like to be able to say progress is coming well, but it's not. Due to school and technical troubles I only have the feet done. I need someone who can convert regular files into foam friendly files. From the way it looks, I may have to extend the deadline to the day before Halo 5s launch. The ultimate goal is to wear it to the midnight release. The 20th was a deadline to give me a weeks cushion room in case something came up.

If you can convert files to foam, please email me at ethanthezombieslayer@yahoo.com. From there I can give you a list of what needs converted. As previously stated, I am working out of my iPad so I cannot download .pdo files even if it is just for storage.

Things are looking bleak, but I haven't given up hope. Felix, out.

***UPDATE INBOUND***

The deadline is closing in. I'd like to be able to say progress is coming well, but it's not. Due to school and technical troubles I only have the feet done. I need someone who can convert regular files into foam friendly files. From the way it looks, I may have to extend the deadline to the day before Halo 5s launch. The ultimate goal is to wear it to the midnight release. The 20th was a deadline to give me a weeks cushion room in case something came up.

If you can convert files to foam, please email me at ethanthezombieslayer@yahoo.com. From there I can give you a list of what needs converted. As previously stated, I am working out of my iPad so I cannot download .pdo files even if it is just for storage.

Things are looking bleak, but I haven't given up hope. Felix, out.

You got this dude

Hey Felix Mercenary I Understand, And i think this thread is cool (GOOD LUKK) But i think your signature is a little innapropriate.!! Could you maybe change it up! Thanks

Better?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Felix Mercenary I Understand, And i think this thread is cool (GOOD LUKK) But i think your signature is a little innapropriate.!! Could you maybe change it up! Thanks

Better?

As the sun sets on October 20th a new dawn rises. The dawn of a blood moon. This freshly birthed moon signals an era. From today on I will do nothing but eat sleep and work on this suit. I've got the gauntlets under way, next will be the thighs. After that, the torso. Those are my minimum requirements for Halo 5s launch

***UPDATE INBOUND***

20151024_205906000_iOS.jpg
20151024_214729406_iOS.jpg

Thanks to Ashuraa, the Colonial Regiment Admin, the torso of the build is coming along nicely. We've gotten the main chest plate done. Next is the shoulder sockets.
The thrusters, under-side straps, and the main back plate is what we have planned for tomorrow. Should we finish, the painting is up to me. I plan to have the painting done by my father whilst I am at school. By the time that I am out of school, the paint should be done.

From there I will be at the Halo 5 midnight launch.

Felix, out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back