Remembrance Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethanxx

As remembrance Day is coming up on the 11th of November I thought it was due respect to have a thread dedicated to those brave men and women that gave their lives in 1914-1918, 1939-1945, and of course in the many wars after. Most of us will be wearing poppies soon as a small sign of respect, and some of us will be observing 2 minutes of silence to remember the tragedies. We also hear Last Post blaring out from the bugles and trumpets.

In the First World War alone, 20 million men were killed and another 40 million were badly wounded. In the Second World War, over 70 million soldiers and civilians were killed, making it the deadliest conflict in history. And of course, people are still dying today because of war and the effects it has on ordinary people.

If any of you have been watching the X Factor recently, you will have seen the contestants singing a very special song for those men and women serving in the Army, many of whom will never walk or see home ever again. It was a very touching song, you can watch it below:

I thought it would be nice for everyone to be able to post their thanks, or maybe share what they plan to do to on Remembrance Day, or maybe even share with us a personal story related to the day or the wars. I'll start!

This is my Great-Great Grandad serving in the First World War. He's the second one in from the left, on the bottom row; the man lying down. We think this photo was from around 1914, but we can't tell exactly what date it was taken because there was no date written on it. I'm very proud of him, because he managed to survive and came back home to his wife and daughter, who is now my Great Grandma.

img004.jpg

I've also got to play the Last Post this year (I'm really no good at it to be honest!) with two other trumpeters. Andrew will read this and laugh because he knows I'm dreading it. Still, I'm honored to have been chosen to do it and if it means people will stop and think for a moment, then I'll be pleased.

And of course, we should all give our thanks to those men and women still fighting as we speak, because some have them have already made a bigger sacrifice than most of us will ever dream of.

Write away, guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
As remembrance Day is coming up on the 11th of November I thought it was due respect to have a thread dedicated to those brave men and women that gave their lives in 1914-1918, 1939-1945, and of course in the many wars after. Most of us will be wearing poppies soon as a small sign of respect, and some of us will be observing 2 minutes of silence to remember the tragedies. We also hear Last Post blaring out from the bugles and trumpets.

In the First World War alone, 20 million men were killed and another 40 million were badly wounded. In the Second World War, over 70 million soldiers and civilians were killed, making it the deadliest conflict in history. And of course, people are still dying today because of war and the effects it has on ordinary people.

If any of you have been watching the X Factor recently, you will have seen the contestants singing a very special song for those men and women serving in the Army, many of whom will never walk or see home ever again. It was a very touching song, you can watch it below:

I thought it would be nice for everyone to be able to post their thanks, or maybe share what they plan to do to on Remembrance Day, or maybe even share with us a personal story related to the day or the wars. I'll start!

This is my Great-Great Grandad serving in the First World War. He's the second one in from the left, on the bottom row; the man lying down. We think this photo was from around 1914, but we can't tell exactly what date it was taken because there was no date written on it. I'm very proud of him, because he managed to survive and came back home to his wife and daughter, who is now my Great Grandma.

img004.jpg

I've also got to play the Last Post this year (I'm really no good at it to be honest!) with two other trumpeters. Andrew will read this and laugh because he knows I'm dreading it. Still, I'm honored to have been chosen to do it and if it means people will stop and think for a moment, then I'll be pleased.

And of course, we should all give our thanks to those men and women still fighting as we speak, because some have them have already made a bigger sacrifice than most of us will ever dream of.

Write away, guys!

both of my grandfathers were fighting in Vietnam, both were in the marine core, one of them died of a heart attack a few years ago. Right now 2 of my uncles are fighting for our freedom.

AI Blue Fox said:
both of my grandfathers were fighting in Vietnam, both were in the marine core, one of them died of a heart attack a few years ago. Right now 2 of my uncles are fighting for our freedom.

Ohh I'm sorry about your grandfather, the Vietnam war was just awful. Your Uncles are very brave, I hope they'll be safe and that they'll come home safely.

My father served in WW2 and Korea. My brother spent 12 years in the USAF, I spent 10 years in the US Army, and my son is currently in the US Army Reserve. I've spent time with troops from around the world (Canada, Britain, Australia, Holland, and Germany). I have the utmost respect for any man or woman who is willing to defend their freedom (and the freedom of others). My hat is off to all those who are currently serving on active duty or in any reserve capacity. I know what it takes and what is asked of you. Unfortunately, I work for a company that doesn't see Veteran's Day (or Remembrance Day) as a holiday. I don't agree with this but let's just say, the USA did their first field test of atomic bombs on their soil. Stand proud all you veterans. You did your part and I proudly salute each and everyone of you! Keep your head down, stay alert, and shoot to kill.

Edit: If I can find some pics of my father, I'll add them here.

lol my other grandfather LOVES taking photos now, my 2 uncles came back for now, they are down in NC at their camp.Oh almost forgot, my birthday is right after veterans day LOL.

Good luck to both of them Blue. Tell em to watch their six on their next deployment. Here's hoping they come home safe from it.

tlither said:
My father served in WW2 and Korea. My brother spent 12 years in the USAF, I spent 10 years in the US Army, and my son is currently in the US Army Reserve. I've spent time with troops from around the world (Canada, Britain, Australia, Holland, and Germany). I have the utmost respect for any man or woman who is willing to defend their freedom (and the freedom of others). My hat is off to all those who are currently serving on active duty or in any reserve capacity. I know what it takes and what is asked of you. Unfortunately, I work for a company that doesn't see Veteran's Day (or Remembrance Day) as a holiday. I don't agree with this but let's just say, the USA did their first field test of atomic bombs on their soil. Stand proud all you veterans. You did your part and I proudly salute each and everyone of you! Keep your head down, stay alert, and shoot to kill.
Edit: If I can find some pics of my father, I'll add them here.

Well said tlither, I had no idea you were in the army. My thoughts go out to your son too, I hope he'll be safe. Was your father anywhere near Japan in WW2? My other Great Grandad was a prisoner of war in Japan, he had some amazing stories to tell, but mostly he didn't like to talk about it. He had nightmares for the rest of his life, and my Grandma said that he used to shout out the names of his company/batallion in his sleep, as they were all killed. It was very sad.

Would like to see some pics though, that would be interesting :]

My father served in the European Theater. Fought his way across France and into Germany. He never really talked about WW2 or Korea. I remember him having nightmares when I was a kid (and that was 20 years after 1945). I'll find some pics and put them up here. I saw more than I wanted to in my 10 years. Mainly the desert. Currently my son is safe in his home and attending college. He is of course, subject to be activated at any time. Thanks for your thoughts.

tlither said:
My father served in the European Theater. Fought his way across France and into Germany. He never really talked about WW2 or Korea. I remember him having nightmares when I was a kid (and that was 20 years after 1945). I'll find some pics and put them up here. I saw more than I wanted to in my 10 years. Mainly the desert. Currently my son is safe in his home and attending college. He is of course, subject to be activated at any time. Thanks for your thoughts.

That sounds like my Great Grandad, its so sad what war does to you. He saw his best friend being murdered in front of him, and obviously that scarred him for life. Of course I've never experienced that firsthand, but I can just imagine what it must have been like. Must've been truly horrific.

Here is one pic of my father. Taken late 1945 after WW2. He is circled in black. I look a lot like him and unfortunately got his skinny genes!

dad.jpg

I'll try to get pics of dad in uniform and me as well. Have to visit mom to do that I'm sure! Of course she'll be glad to see me.

I hade 2 great uncles who faught with the RAF in england. The both made it, but one of them had there plain shot down, but he made it out of it without a scratch. Just a little wet, thats all.

My 20 year old uncle is in JTF2 right now as a scout sniper. He isn't over in Afganistan right now, but hes going for his 2'nd tour soon.

Anyhow, thanks to the brave men and women who faught the great Nazi terony, we have the fredom we have today.

tlither said:
Here is one pic of my father. Taken late 1945 after WW2. He is circled in black. I look a lot like him and unfortunately got his skinny genes!

dad.jpg

I'll try to get pics of dad in uniform and me as well. Have to visit mom to do that I'm sure! Of course she'll be glad to see me.

Oh wow that looks amazing! Their uniforms are so smart! :3 I love old photographs, each one has a story to tell... I gotta show my Dad this if that's ok with you, I think he'll be amazed! Its so clear too, my one's all fuzzy! :]

My Grandpa fought in World War 2 and my Dad would have went to 'Nam, but he turned 18 a few months after the war ended.
1918CampDodgeIowaStatueOfLiberty-a.jpg

Well, I don't know anyone in this, but it was taken at Camp Dodge in Des Moines, Iowa in 1918 and was made of 18,000 men.

I'll try to find my Grandpa's Navy I.D. and Dog Tags.

Widman2013 said:
My Grandpa fought in World War 2 and my Dad would have went to 'Nam, but he turned 18 a few months after the war ended.
1918CampDodgeIowaStatueOfLiberty-a.jpg

Well, I don't know anyone in this, but it was taken at Camp Dodge in Des Moines, Iowa in 1918 and was made of 18,000 men.

I'll try to find my Grandpa's Navy I.D. and Dog Tags.

That is one awesome pic!

Its like Art Attack where the guy makes a massive pic outta stuff, what a legend!

My Uncle has Dog Tags, he never wears 'em though. I got some fake ones for my birthday once, I have no idea where they are now lol :lol:

My grandad got half his face blown of in korea. It urks me to think that we couldn't win becuase we fought within boundaries, no going into china when thats where the enemy goes. My history teacher tore a piece off the berlin wall. They remember those times pretty well, but my grandad doesn't ever mention it, and he won't eat rice.

I've had several relatives involved in the armed forces in one way or the other, and most of them have seen war. My younger brother just left last week to start his basic training for the Guards.

Hats off to all of our brave soldiers.

My great-grandad on my mums side served in the trenches with the hampshire regiment during ww1. He was caught in a shell/mustard gas attack which left a load of shrapnel in the back of his head. He survived but it took about 6 years before he could walk and talk properly. Coincidentaly my great-uncle on my dads side served in the army air corps at the same time.
My dads dad served in cyprus and i have 2 friends curently active. 1 goes to iraq in may and the other took a bullet through the leg in helmand with the royal marines. Remeberance day is pretty important considering the huge sacrifice made, and that is still being made by the armed services to keep us safe. I go into the army next year and i hope i can live up to what my family did in ww1 and my mates are doing now.

I said I'd post pics. Here are three generations of my family that have served or are serving.

My dad - about 1943.

Dad1.jpg

Me - basic training graduation (1985)

Me1.jpg

My son - basic training (2006)

Josh1.jpg

toddler911 said:
My grandad got half his face blown of in korea. It urks me to think that we couldn't win becuase we fought within boundaries, no going into china when thats where the enemy goes. My history teacher tore a piece off the berlin wall. They remember those times pretty well, but my grandad doesn't ever mention it, and he won't eat rice.

Yeah that sounds familiar. My Great Grandad had a huge scar all the way up his leg, because he got bayonetted at a Japanese prisoner of war camp, just for asking for a drink of water. He never really spoke of it until the day he died.

Mythstryke said:
I've had several relatives involved in the armed forces in one way or the other, and most of them have seen war. My younger brother just left last week to start his basic training for the Guards.

Hats off to all of our brave soldiers.

Oh I'd hate it if my little brother ever had to do anything like that, I'd be worried sick! I hope everything goes alright ;]

tlither said:
I said I'd post pics. Here are three generations of my family that have served or are serving.

My dad - about 1943.

Dad1.jpg

Me - basic training graduation (1985)

Me1.jpg

My son - basic training (2006)

Josh1.jpg

Sorry for double post guys, my last post and tlithers post were posted at the same time and I cant add another quote to an edit (at least i dont think)

They are incredible pictures, your son really looks like you. You all look really smart, too! And the one of your father is ultra clear, its amazing. You are all so brave and you have me and my family's utmost respect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back