Remembrance Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, don't worry you played the last post fine last year, and you always have everyones support.
Seriously, nobody finds it funny if you make a mistake, we all feel really horrid for having to listern to you when you clearly don't want to play :(
I'm afraid I have no old pics, and I don't know if my grandparents fought or ought so ya know :(

All these little storys everyone has are so cool though :D

Vision

Well, my uncle just called from Ottawa, and I told him about this thread and he said the following.

"It doesn't take much to get into the military. It doesn't take much to fight for your country. But it takes a hell of alot of bravery to talk about the things you've seen, done, and experianced over there. Alwayse remember, it takes one hell of a brave SOB to fight for freedom."

Thats what my uncle said, and he's in the single most respected branch of the military in Canada. JTF2.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
Well, my uncle just called from Ottawa, and I told him about this thread and he said the following.

"It doesn't take much to get into the military. It doesn't take much to fight for your country. But it takes a hell of alot of bravery to talk about the things you've seen, done, and experianced over there. Alwayse remember, it takes one hell of a brave SOB to fight for freedom."

Thats what my uncle said, and he's in the single most respected branch of the military in Canada. JTF2.

So true, and I feel honored that you told him about this thread :3

All of my relatives that have been in the forces have never liked talking about what they've seen, most had nightmares many years after the war ended.

You should be very proud of your Uncle, he is very brave. :]

Last edited by a moderator:
I do feel proud of my uncle, and im going to follow in his footsteps. I hope he makes it back from his 2'nd tour of Afganistan. No doubt heel make it again. Hes shown me pictures of what its like over there, and told me stories. Its interesting to hear, and I enjoy listening.

Vision said:
Aww, don't worry you played the last post fine last year, and you always have everyones support.
Seriously, nobody finds it funny if you make a mistake, we all feel really horrid for having to listern to you when you clearly don't want to play :(
I'm afraid I have no old pics, and I don't know if my grandparents fought or ought so ya know :(

All these little storys everyone has are so cool though :D

Vision

Ah thanks Andrew, but YOU KNOW I played awful! I want to go ill this year, but then I'd feel bad lol

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
I do feel proud of my uncle, and im going to follow in his footsteps. I hope he makes it back from his 2'nd tour of Afganistan. No doubt heel make it again. Hes shown me pictures of what its like over there, and told me stories. Its interesting to hear, and I enjoy listening.

Cool, I hope he gets back safe too :]

Come on guys! Don't let this thread die! Its not even Veterans day yet. Show some appreciation for our soldiers! :p

Yep! This is a bump. As a very proud veteran, I don't want this to die just yet. It doesn't matter where you live. If you have any freedoms at all, thank a veteran. We are the ones who have made your freedoms possible. Some of us served our country and came home safe. Others gave their lives or came home disabled to a certain degree. Post your stories from your dad, uncle, aunt, cousin, whomever!

I have four grandfathers- each one served in some capacity. Three served in Korea, one Navy, one Army, one Air Force. The fourth was in the Army, and died in Vietnam, though he's still listed as MIA. My step father served for more than twenty years in the US Army Reserve. My older brother just got called back to active duty in the Marine Corps for a tour in Afghanistan, and my sister's boyfriend just graduated basic as a Navy Corpsman. All these people are my heroes, and I greatly respect anyone who chooses to wear the uniform and serve in America's hours of need. Soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coast guard, thank you.

I have the upmost respect for anyone who has served ,or is serving, in any capacity. Thousands upon thousands have died and been injured in various conflicts over the years to preserve our freedoms and they deserve to be rememberd. My mate was told his unit are definatly going back to afganistan making it his second tour.

I served four years in the Air Force just before Gulf-I.

My Dad was in WW-II as a radio operator on a B-24 bomber over Europe. He was shot down on his 20th mission. Got captured and spent 13 months as POW. He spent the last four months on the death march through Poland and Germany. He will talk about his experiences some, but is very humble.

dad.jpg

rickgyver said:
I served four years in the Air Force just before Gulf-I.

My Dad was in WW-II as a radio operator on a B-24 bomber over Europe. He was shot down on his 20th mission. Got captured and spent 13 months as POW. He spent the last four months on the death march through Poland and Germany. He will talk about his experiences some, but is very humble.

dad.jpg

Now thats one heck of a story. And he survived all of that? Thats what bravery is all about. You're dad is one of the few men and women I would look up to seeing as they would easialy be classified as hero's.

I myself when im 16 and going to join the Canadian Forces reserves. Ive allready talked with some people about this, and my parents said its ok. Im truely looking forward to basic training and the works.

Mabey I'll see one of you on the battle field one day, but before that, lets just hope that world piece comes before that.

My father (Territorial Army) and brother (Royal Engineer's) are both member's of the british army. Im incredibly proud of both of them. My dad has fought in Iraq and is going to Afghanistan somtime soon. And my brother may be going to Afghanistan too. I would post picture's.. But not only would that be illeagle it would also be stupid, it's very easy for people to track them and get info about them. Seem's stupid I know but stuff like that happen's. I used to attend the Cadet's but it all broke apart from lack of staff ect.. Iv'e marched on armesis parade on rememberance day. It's an extrodinary feeling. I have utmost respect for all the solider's who have gave their live's for our country.

tlither said:
Yep! This is a bump. As a very proud veteran, I don't want this to die just yet. It doesn't matter where you live. If you have any freedoms at all, thank a veteran. We are the ones who have made your freedoms possible. Some of us served our country and came home safe. Others gave their lives or came home disabled to a certain degree. Post your stories from your dad, uncle, aunt, cousin, whomever!

Thanks for bringing it back tlither! I thought it was a gonner.
Absolutely true aswell - everyone should be thanking a Veteran this weekend.

smilie120 said:
My father (Territorial Army) and brother (Royal Engineer's) are both member's of the british army. Im incredibly proud of both of them. My dad has fought in Iraq and is going to Afghanistan somtime soon. And my brother may be going to Afghanistan too. I would post picture's.. But not only would that be illeagle it would also be stupid, it's very easy for people to track them and get info about them. Seem's stupid I know but stuff like that happen's. I used to attend the Cadet's but it all broke apart from lack of staff ect.. Iv'e marched on armesis parade on rememberance day. It's an extrodinary feeling. I have utmost respect for all the solider's who have gave their live's for our country.

The Territorial Army! I wanted to be in that once, then I changed my mind...I haz my heart set on either the RAF or the Royal Marines.
I have the utmost respect for anyone out there in the East right now, it was on the news yesterday that another soldier was killed saving the lives of his comrades.
And as for the Parade - I bet it was very moving. I gotta play the Last Post in front of 1,500 kids on Tuesday on my own in complete silence - it's scary, but last year I got upset after I'd played it, thinking of stuff...its really makes you think about things!

Also, a quick link to some Rememberance Day happenings - the Queen getting involved.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Remembran...200811215147728

My step dad's father was in WWII. I actually interviewed him earlier today for a report. Here is a practice run!

He lives in England and joined the Royal Navy in 1943. he volunteered in 1942 but was too young. They accepted him in 1943, and he volunteered because all men had to join, but if you volunteered, you got to pick what branch of the services you got, and he wanted the Royal Navy. He started out as an engine stoker, but was moved to landing duty. He was actually on landing duty during June 6, 1944, better known as D-day. After all that, he was put on a corvette, which is a ship that protects convoys. He was stationed on the Corvette, Widgeon, which was a 600 ton ship, so very small compared to most. He actually had a funny story from there, it was a London barge that was fitted with a couple guns to make it a corvette. Once, they tried to attack an enemy sub underneath them and dropped some charges, but they damaged their own ship more than anything else! Something I noticed was hard for him to say was that of the 32 in his class from Naval school, 7 of them died. He said that they try to forget the bad things and remember the happy times of coming into the ports and having a round of pints. After his corvette duty, he was stationed on an Aircraft carrier, Triumph. He was de-mobbed in 1946, a few months after the war had ended. After he returned home, he got into the building trade. Then, he went into the fire brigade, which are basically the firefighters for England, which he did for his career. He would not advise young people to join the services, since war is just such a terrible thing, terrifying at times.

Oh and his name is George William Appleby Crawford. Bill Crawford for short

****Also, if anybody has any info on the corvette Widgeon (possibly Wigeon) or the aircraft carrier Triumph, any info would be greatly appreciated, since I cannot find much on the internets.

And as for the Parade - I bet it was very moving. I gotta play the Last Post in front of 1,500 kids on Tuesday on my own in complete silence - it's scary, but last year I got upset after I'd played it, thinking of stuff...its really makes you think about things!

You'll be fine bethan, and if not, just listen to some Bob Marley before you go to school... I suggest three little birds :p

ERADICATORofDTH said:
My step dad's father was in WWII. I actually interviewed him earlier today for a report. Here is a practice run!

He lives in England and joined the Royal Navy in 1943. he volunteered in 1942 but was too young. They accepted him in 1943, and he volunteered because all men had to join, but if you volunteered, you got to pick what branch of the services you got, and he wanted the Royal Navy. He started out as an engine stoker, but was moved to landing duty. He was actually on landing duty during June 6, 1944, better known as D-day. After all that, he was put on a corvette, which is a ship that protects convoys. He was stationed on the Corvette, Widgeon, which was a 600 ton ship, so very small compared to most. He actually had a funny story from there, it was a London barge that was fitted with a couple guns to make it a corvette. Once, they tried to attack an enemy sub underneath them and dropped some charges, but they damaged their own ship more than anything else! Something I noticed was hard for him to say was that of the 32 in his class from Naval school, 7 of them died. He said that they try to forget the bad things and remember the happy times of coming into the ports and having a round of pints. After his corvette duty, he was stationed on an Aircraft carrier, Triumph. He was de-mobbed in 1946, a few months after the war had ended. After he returned home, he got into the building trade. Then, he went into the fire brigade, which are basically the firefighters for England, which he did for his career. He would not advise young people to join the services, since war is just such a terrible thing, terrifying at times.

Oh and his name is George William Appleby Crawford. Bill Crawford for short
****Also, if anybody has any info on the corvette Widgeon (possibly Wigeon) or the aircraft carrier Triumph, any info would be greatly appreciated, since I cannot find much on the internets.

Wow thats an incredible story! To have landed on Omaha Beach on D-day is pretty impressive..I bet it was terrifying for him. Ive seen documentries about it...but obviously that doesn't tell the whole story! And being on an aircraft carrier..thats incredible too. Where abouts was it stationed? Amazing story Eradicator!

Matthijs said:
This is me in 1945 I just ended the war here... on my own:
masterchief.jpg

Matthijs

Well well well! You did well good sir, I salute your green Spartan self! :lol:

xxFemaleSpartanxx, I do not know exactly where it was stationed, but I do know that Triumph, the aircraft carrier, was the first one to go to Leningrad, Russia, or something like that. I believe that he spent most of his time around England and France, but I didn't get specifics.

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Well well well! You did well good sir, I salute your green Spartan self! :lol:
Yeah, well it was pretty annoying sometimes... They kept calling me Pretty Officer Spartan 117..... The Halo Story is actually based on me, even though I didn't give Bungie permission to. But I like Halo... Nothing to complain about right?:lol:

Matthijs

Matthijs said:
Yeah, well it was pretty annoying sometimes... They kept calling me Pretty Officer Spartan 117..... The Halo Story is actually based on me, even though I didn't give Bungie permission to. But I like Halo... Nothing to complain about right?:lol:

Matthijs

Ah, im sure you'd make a b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l girl, Chief. Maybe it's because you're so badass that they based a game on you?! I wouldn't complain...I just feel sorry for Arby, the ugly mutt :lol:

ERADICATORofDTH said:
xxFemaleSpartanxx, I do not know exactly where it was stationed, but I do know that Triumph, the aircraft carrier, was the first one to go to Leningrad, Russia, or something like that. I believe that he spent most of his time around England and France, but I didn't get specifics.

Ack! Sorry for double post again, my bad :[

Ah right! I have this stupid idea that all aircraft carriers were based in the pacific, near to Japan and Guadal Canal. But I suppose there mustve been a fair number of ships floatong around the English channel and around France too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back