Renting a 3d scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on how large of an object you're planning on scanning you might be able to get away with it yourself using a camera, tripod, lazy susan and a trial or student license of Autodesk ReCap. ReMake used to be their solution for stitching images together into a 3D model but that was pretty much discontinued in December but had features folded into ReCap.

The trick to it is having a neutral background (a white bed sheet) and decent lighting on the object (lamps pointed at the object and overhead light fixtures). If you have the object on a platform that can rotate and you take a picture every 10° to 15° and plug them in you'll have a pretty faithful recreation that uses free-ish software and equipment that everyone has kicking around anyway.

Apparently it also works with a GoPro and other video cameras as well since Autodesk appears to be trying to get into the 3D scan via aerial drone market but I've never tried that and can't vouch for how it works, I've only ever fiddled around in ReMake.

The way TurboCharizard recommended is actually the easiest and fastest way to get make a 3d scan. It is called photogrammetry.
It works good if geometry is not really complex (no holes and same stuff).

Could you explain what exactly you want to scan (size, shape, other details like fur).
And where exactly in Estonia you locate or were you are ready to come?
I'm asking because I will be in Tallinn for a weak or two. Exact dates is not agreed yet.
I will carry Artec Spider 3d scanner with me. It doesn't work good for all types of geometry. If you need to scan something with a complex geometry and don't care about good textures I maybe can help you. For a reasonable price of cause. I can't lend you a scanner, one need some skills to use it, but I can scan for you. You can read about the scanner yourself, I left the link. It's for you to understand, do you REALLY need a 3d scanner, or photogrammetry is enough and you don't need to bother other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back