Repost: Helmet help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude12656

I Couldn't get the pics to post right last time so I reposted. I am designing/building my own helmet and I need some input. Thanks for any.
IMG000098.jpg

IMG000097.jpg

IMG000096.jpg

IMG000098.jpg

IMG000097.jpg

IMG000096.jpg

You should have just updated your other thread instead of creating another one with the same content. It clutters the forum.

Anyway, from the looks of your helmet, it appears to be a bit smallish, especially in the 2nd pic. Well, we'll see after you have put most of it together.

I wanted to add some more to the underframe before I resined it and didn't know what to add to it. It does weigh alot, but I don't care. Actually it's pretty big. It measures at around 12 inches for length and 7 inches wide. Yea I just need help making it cool. Post some pics of something that I could add to if anyone wants.

i agree the reson for the resin and fiberglass is to add strength to your build. since yours is metal thatd be kind of pointless

just make sure all your welds are good and strong and you should be fine. i would also complete the whole thing before you work on making it stronger how much more you planning to do to the helm?

also sometimes really strong= really heavy

Resin is stronger and I kinda wanted it to be really strong

Resin is not stronger than steel my friend. Steel makes resin, bondo, and rondo look like paper. It would be pointless to add any of that to metal. The only thing that will get rid of those welds is a grinder and some elbow grease. You could cover them up in bondo, but it would only add to weight because you would have to use so much of it. In the world of metal working, a ginder is your best friend. If you want to shape it, I recommend using a cutting torch to heat it up, and a ball ping hammer to slowly shape it. (think old school blacksmithing) You definitely want to make sure that you debur and round off all the edges so you don't get a nasty cut. I think that a full metal helmet is awesome, and I think it is awesome that you are attempting one. Good luck with it. I can't wait to see more. :)

In the spirit of not being an A-whole in the forums. I'll just say it looks like a good effert but next time you try this. I would suggest making a paper model and when the size is right. Re-print (with the tabs off) so that you have your templates.

The plan was to make my own helmet and make a full ODST armor. I want to pretty much make my helmet look cool, and I don't care how much it will weigh. I was also thinking of making a single spike running from the front to a little past the back, kinda like the hayabusa. Thanks for the constructive critisism, but I'm attempting this one by going off of what I think looks cool, but durable. The reason for the resin is I want this thing to be strong enough to take a sufficent blow to the head.

The reason for the resin is I want this thing to be strong enough to take a sufficent blow to the head.
Are you planning on using this for SCA fighting or something? Something to keep in mind is that a stout blow to a solid piece of resin will cause the resin to shatter. I routinely knock the build-up off of my dowels this way with a hatchet once it starts to turn into a mace.

Resin is stronger and I kinda wanted it to be really strong

Dude, it's just like a car body if it's metal. Take a grinding wheel and make the welds smooth the sand it or media blast, use some body filler in some spots then sand it all the paint.... I just dint see resin working

Doesn't body filler shrink and get crusty over time. What do think of that haybusa spike idea.

Not really, no.
Polyester resins tend to shrink a little, but it's not that bad usually, especially not when you're using reinforcement and/or filling materials (which are what body filler mainly consists of). And if there is any shrinkage, it's going to happen before the resin reaches it's final strength.

Dude, I applaud you on going for the metal.
I must agree with the others in saying that adding resin wont do you any good with regards to adding strength.
What gauge metal are you using by chance?

Deputy Dog's suggestion of building a paper model first is a good one. that way, not only are you able to size the pieces more easily before hand, but the individual pep sections should be able to be used as templates for cutting your metal.
But yeah, based on what others have been saying, your best bet may be to grind down the welds and go from there.

[SAFETY]
If you're planning on using this to take hits, make sure you have some serious padding on the inside. Even with a properly built helmet (motorcycle, football, combat) it is still possible to receive head and brain trauma from a blow.
[/SAFETY]

As for the hyabusa spike, I'm having a hard time picturing it (mostly because my brain is a bit mushy right now ;) ) but if that's something you think may be cool, i'd say go for it.
Keep up the good work and as someone who also looks to build a metal ODST set, I look forward to updates!

I'm using a blend between some lighter metal and heavier gauge sheet, but I don't have the exacts. Seriously though any suggestions on what I should do as far as making it better/cooler. I'm open to any opinions. I forgot to mention that this is my first armor build and I was going to use fiberglass clothe with the resin (if I use the resin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back