Repost: Helmet help

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is me in the helmet. I really need some suggestions about the top part of it because it looks horrible in my opinion.

IMG000099.jpg

IMG000100.jpg

IMG000101.jpg

IMG000099.jpg

IMG000100.jpg

IMG000101.jpg

I'm using a blend between some lighter metal and heavier gauge sheet, but I don't have the exacts. Seriously though any suggestions on what I should do as far as making it better/cooler. I'm open to any opinions. I forgot to mention that this is my first armor build and I was going to use fiberglass clothe with the resin (if I use the resin).

I still don't believe that you would benefit from adding it. The helmet isn't going to be bulletproof or anything like that either way and steel is rather strong as it is. Steel is also a very elastic and will bend rather than break. The reinforced plastic you get when glassing the helmet, on the other hand, is very brittle and will break easily. This may lead to problems, should the helmet really end up taking any blows.
By the way, regarding safety: There's a metal edge pointing right at your nose. If someone punched you in the face, I bet that would lead to some serious injury. Maybe you should bend that away a little, it's going to be covered by the visor anyways.

This is me in the helmet. I really need some suggestions about the top part of it because it looks horrible in my opinion.

Three spots that caught my eye were the top back, which looks a little edgy on the side view, and the sides themselves, which are completely flat, and the missing brim. I don't know how you would remodel that with metal, though. For larger scale modifications, maybe you can reshape the metal, smaller details might be easier to sculpt onto the metal with some other material. That might be where your beloved resin could come in, in the form of body filler ;-)

I think you are really confused. Fiberglass and resin are only used on paper/ cardboard armor. Adding it to metal is not going not going to do anything but add weight and alot off unnecessary time spent.

Ventrue is correct. Adding a brim will make it look a little better. Something is up with the side too, they are just too flat needs a little something. I would have to say nay about the single spike. Thats just going to look weird sitting on top with nothing else around it. The Hyabusa covers the whole top the goes over the edge on the top, more like a head dress. Maybe im just picturing it wrong. a sketch would be helpful in expressing your point.

Is there room inthat for some padding?

If you get hit wearing it without padding, the full force of the blow will transmit from weapon to helmet to head.

Warning ; If a blow is heavy enough to bend/buckle the helmet, your head will be in there, trapped and squashed.

Cool idea for a metal helmet but maybe more a display peice?

Warning ; If a blow is heavy enough to bend/buckle the helmet, your head will be in there, trapped and squashed.

Only if there is a fixed object behind the helmet. If there isn't one, his whole head will move and the dent in the helmet will be the least of his problems.

Only if there is a fixed object behind the helmet. If there isn't one, his whole head will move and the dent in the helmet will be the least of his problems.

Define fixed object. What if I put the the brim on and made a more rounded piece go from the front of the brim to the back o the hemet. Then I could round the side up more. Wow this helmet is going to be so heavy.

I think ventrue was talking about if you took a blow to the head hard enough to dent the metal, then getting your head stuck would be the least of your problems...

but yeah, seriously.... I would not rely on this to protect you from head injury, metal though it may be.

Define fixed object. What if I put the the brim on and made a more rounded piece go from the front of the brim to the back o the hemet. Then I could round the side up more. Wow this helmet is going to be so heavy.

A fixed object in this case would be anything stable enough to resist the blow without moving. Like a wall.
You can try this with an empty beverage can: If you put it on the ground and push it, it will move away without any dents. If you put it in front of a wall, it won't move, but you can easily damage it.

Bottom line is, your helmet won't protect you from anything really harmful.

might help us all if you can create a concept drawing so we can see where you're going with the helmet. yes it's hard to go from a 2d drawing to a 3d helmet but it does put some things in perspective if you do it.

I suck at drawing, so I'll be more descriptive. I am going to take make the visor and then run a more rounded piece from the tip of the visor to the back of the helmet. It'll be kinda like the MJOLNIR mark VI helmet.

Today I finished putting on the visor I must say its starting to look pretty sweet. Its really front heavy so I'm going to add a piece to the back to even it out.

Here the pics of the helmet are. The visor isn't complete yet but it looks a hell of a lot better than it did. I also made the top more rounded.

IMG000104.jpg

IMG000102.jpg

IMG000103.jpg

IMG000104.jpg

IMG000102.jpg

IMG000103.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back