Resin and Fiberglass bending or shaping? Heat gun option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preskewl

Well I just completed a weekend of resin and fiberglassing my pep armor.. There was no way to keep some of the pieces from warping or bending... Can I use a heat gun, Heat the pieces up and slowly bend them into shape?

resin doesn't heat like you are talking about doing, you will only cause stress cracks if you try to bend it and you are more likely to damage something than fix it that way....

One way would be to use a dremel to cut a groove into the back of the piece, through the fiberglass, very careful not to go through to the out side, this will give it a place to bend and not crack, bend it and use something to hold it in place (tape?) while you apply a fiber glass patch the spot you grooved...

Thanks spase.. I guess I will be doing some cutting then, and I thought I was done with the fiberglass portion.. :lol:

I just gotta say, be very very careful when bending any piece that has resin or fiber glass on it allready.... resin cracks pretty easily...

Another option would be to cut the piece and then put it back together with a patch of fiberglass...

don't be surprised however if something does crack...

If it cracks... the cracks should be ground down a bit along the crack and resin/fiberglass laid into the grove....

Good Luck...

Yeah, i found that out the hardway.. I actually was trying to see if I can bend some of the pieces (thigh piece) and it cracked.. I'll take your suggestion and grind it down and redo those parts.. Oh well, more fun with resin.. I still have to use body filler so I'm at the early stages.. Thanks again for your help!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back