resin help

ojrtega

Member
well i resined my feet today and well it turned out sorta weird although it hasnt dried yet it made my head hurt and i made my hands hurt i got fiber glass on it any info on what it could do to ur hands???

also will it warp???

and is it weird for it for the fiber glass to make ur pieces of armor brown???
 
If you didn't use a respirator it did damage to your lungs and maybe damage to your brain. Your skin is obviously irritated by it. Please read directions next time and yes it may make it look brown. It will warp it you did it wrong which is if you put I all at once.
 

ojrtega

Member
........... i guess ima go check on my feet cause i put it on all at once i just didnt put it on the inside and on the bottom to support it and i did use one of those painters masks and i used gloves also but it still happened.........

but painters mask did help alot so should i check on my feet????
 
ojrtega said:
........... i guess ima go check on my feet cause i put it on all at once i just didnt put it on the inside and on the bottom to support it and i did use one of those painters masks and i used gloves also but it still happened.........

but painters mask did help alot so should i check on my feet????
Are you sure you used the right respirator? Cause you need a specific filter for this stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the first time I glassed my first helmet. It was a total mess, but after you just kinda get the hang of it and work more neatly. I dont know how you got it all over you but just a painters mask does not help. You need a respirator. Dont worry so much you didnt do permanent brain damage but just sleep on it and you will get better. Also please correct your grammar, its really annoying to have to decipher all that. Unless English is your second language, then I understand.
 

ojrtega

Member
SPARTAN405 said:
I remember the first time I glassed my first helmet. It was a total mess, but after you just kinda get the hang of it and work more neatly. I dont know how you got it all over you but just a painters mask does not help. You need a respirator. Dont worry so much you didnt do permanent brain damage but just sleep on it and you will get better. Also please correct your grammar, its really annoying to have to decipher all that. Unless English is your second language, then I understand.
english is my second language so sorry my first language is spanish anyways ummmm where can i get a respirator or should i use like 5 painters masks?? because i have a lot and that should filter a lot of those toxins but i guess it would be hard to breath like that.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cys920622

Member
use ACETONE to remove the resin from your skin.
but it's probably already made its way into your bloodstream, so lets hope youdidn't get too much on yourself
acetone is basically nail polish remover. you can probably get it at walmart.

USE A RESPIRATOR

you can seriously screw up your future if you continue like this.

take our advice.
 

ojrtega

Member
gotcha i have nail polish remover and its not in my blood stream yet i guess so ill use it now and ill get that respirator mask tomorrow.
 

crackhead09

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
well im poor and i havent used a respirator but i didnt spend a day fiberglassing and i was out on my non enclosed back porch and i feel fine

but safety is definetly first
 
You are fine for now but in 20-30 years when you develop a lung tumor the size of an apple then you wont be too fine. Trust me, the fumes from resin, or any chemicals of that matter will cause cancer. Wear a respirator. You buy cheap...You buy twice.
 

Sikarian

Jr Member
Please, please, please, please, please. At the VERY LEAST use a respirator/goggles when you start sanding. The fumes of resin? eh, it's bad but short lived if you don't breathe it all the time. But DO NOT get the dust from sanding fiberglass/resin in your lungs/eyes. That will seriously be the end of good times.

You ever see those people who fiberglass and sand boats? They wear masks for a reason. The particles from sanding are much much worse than from just glooping on the resin. They are so fine. I got plenty of shards along my arms which, while not too dangerous, hurts like a bitch for a while until they come out. I also got a tiny fragment of hardened fiberglass in my eye. Hell for a few hours until I got it out and put my goggles on.

This stuff is serious, no joking matter. If you can't afford one, save up and buy one. Ask your parents, seriously get SOMETHING on your face.
 
Sikarian said:
Please, please, please, please, please. At the VERY LEAST use a respirator/goggles when you start sanding. The fumes of resin? eh, it's bad but short lived if you don't breathe it all the time. But DO NOT get the dust from sanding fiberglass/resin in your lungs/eyes. That will seriously be the end of good times.

You ever see those people who fiberglass and sand boats? They wear masks for a reason. The particles from sanding are much much worse than from just glooping on the resin. They are so fine. I got plenty of shards along my arms which, while not too dangerous, hurts like a bitch for a while until they come out. I also got a tiny fragment of hardened fiberglass in my eye. Hell for a few hours until I got it out and put my goggles on.

This stuff is serious, no joking matter. If you can't afford one, save up and buy one. Ask your parents, seriously get SOMETHING on your face.
Ouch dude. Anyway ya you need a respirator. You may think it is fine if your out in the open, but it will harm you nonetheless unless you have a respirator. And when sanding ya: goggles, respirator, long sleeves, gloves, pants and you should be fine.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

wombat6926

New Member
SH_Jack said:
Hey guys, I have a bunch of half-face respirators rated N95; is this fine for working with resin?

Hey Everyone ! You need a resperator with and "ORGANIC SOLVENT" Cartrige RATED "OV". This is the ONLY type that will filter out the fumes.

An N95 is only good for filtering out dust. It is fine form sanding but NOT for resining.

The Resperator should cost about $20-30 and the cartrige will cost another $10-$15 and last a few weeks.

Hope this helps.

Wombat.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

SH Jack

Jr Member
Thanks, MrTiKi and Wombat! Next time I think "Gee, I'm sure glad I don't have lung cancer," I'll think of you guys. :D
 

CrAzY CH13F

Member
i've just skim read this thread and all i an say is if i want to go to Uni, i will wear a respirator and gloves because esin sounds pretty dangerous thanks for the advice guys or girls if there are any who posted here =]
 

ojrtega

Member
well i got a respirator now its my dads construction respirator it filters out just about everything i cant smell anything besides pure air haha try killing me now fiberglass fumes
 
Top