Resin not drying completely- What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tcgore678

So I poured a bowl full of resin for my helmets. It's an average sized food bowl, and I put about 4 drops of resin in it. Then I coated my helmets, and it just wouldn't dry up at all. I left the liquid resin with the 4 drops in it still in the bowl. Well my dad put 11 MORE drops in it. More than what should be enough. But it's not drying, and it's been on there since about last Sunday. What can I do to speed up the drying process?

What your going to have to do is make another batch of resin with a higher amount of resin in it and re-brush the entire peace. Because the first stuff is still wet it will mix with the new stuff and harden. i use the top from the bondo resin can and put about 10 drops in that so if you bowl holds more that that you might not be using enough hardener. Also to speed up the process try using a hair dryer to heat it up and activate the hardener.

So I poured a bowl full of resin for my helmets. It's an average sized food bowl, and I put about 4 drops of resin in it. Then I coated my helmets, and it just wouldn't dry up at all. I left the liquid resin with the 4 drops in it still in the bowl. Well my dad put 11 MORE drops in it. More than what should be enough. But it's not drying, and it's been on there since about last Sunday. What can I do to speed up the drying process?

When you say 4 drops are you talking hardner? You need about 12 drops of hardner per ounce of polyester resin. An average size bowl would be roughly 10 to 12 ounces. SO you would need approx 120 to 148 drops of hardner for this. The hardner should make up 2 to 2,1/2% of total volume .

Hey I was going to open a new thread but this one is kinda close to my problem I guess. I just started aqua resining my armor and its dryed rather chalky-ish. Is aqua resin supposed to be that way? I mixed the powder and the liquid and it painted on fine, but turned to chalkyness soon after.

Anyone with aqua resining knowledge have an tips for me?

I'd suggest opening your own thread, and not jacking someone elses without even posting a response to their thread. So yeah. And 120-140? No. That's way too much. A small bowl. Like food bowl. Not cake mix bowls or anything like that. 120 drops will harden it in less than an hour.

I'd suggest opening your own thread, and not jacking someone elses without even posting a response to their thread. So yeah. And 120-140? No. That's way too much. A small bowl. Like food bowl. Not cake mix bowls or anything like that. 120 drops will harden it in less than an hour.

Well, you obviously know what you're doing. Good luck!. Try being a little less abrasive, you will find that people respect you more for it.

And 120-140? No. That's way too much. A small bowl. Like food bowl. Not cake mix bowls or anything like that. 120 drops will harden it in less than an hour.
BLACKULA727 is pretty much on the spot with his numbers. With the amount of resin you used, it would have required that many drops of hardener according to the mixing instructions, which you obviously didn't read (4 drops in a bowl?!). When properly mixed, resin hardens in 20 minutes.

Well, you obviously know what you're doing. Good luck!. Try being a little less abrasive, you will find that people respect you more for it.
We all know that you know your stuff. If only others are more gracious when they receive an advice from knowledgeable folks. :(

Follow instructions. Plus you don't want to use more than 4 oz. at a time. Don't "puddle" the resin also 'cause this thing gets hot when it's drying, and that will also cause your stuff to warp and brittle.

Yeah, when you say "Drops of Resin" its a little confusing. 4 drops of resin wouldnt even cover the visor.
Whenever i worked with Resin, i used 1-3 ml or Catalyst to every 100ml (depending on wheather and working time).
Its always worked well enough.

You definitely have a catalyst deficiency. The instructions on the can work great seeing as this is most likely your first time. Next time I suggest using something that you can actually measure volume with when you pour your resin so you can calculate the correct amount of hardener (catalyst).

Use UV light

Resin can be cured in more than one way:

Time - resin will harden in ~5-6 mths on its own
Heat - 2-4 weeks at 90 to 100 degrees
UV light - depending on intensity, you can flash-cure resin with uv light

As for you, without a high-intensity burst uv device, or having to wait a long time, leave your helmet in the sun.

PS - theres also a trick with cyanide fumes but that stuff is nasty, so I'm not even going to explain how to do this :)

Resin can be cured in more than one way:

Time - resin will harden in ~5-6 mths on its own
Heat - 2-4 weeks at 90 to 100 degrees
UV light - depending on intensity, you can flash-cure resin with uv light

As for you, without a high-intensity burst uv device, or having to wait a long time, leave your helmet in the sun.

PS - theres also a trick with cyanide fumes but that stuff is nasty, so I'm not even going to explain how to do this :)

5-6 MONTHS? Wow. That's a very long time. People on here finish the resin on their helmets in days.

5-6 MONTHS? Wow. That's a very long time. People on here finish the resin on their helmets in days.

Because they've used the correct ratio of hardener to resin. As has been mentioned, resin will dry in 15-20 minutes if mixed correctly. Notice he said "on its own", meaning even without hardener.

Because they've used the correct ratio of hardener to resin. As has been mentioned, resin will dry in 15-20 minutes if mixed correctly. Notice he said "on its own", meaning even without hardener.

Ahh. My bad, didn't notice that part. And my apologies for my rudeness to the others who replied. I've tried Blackula's method, and it's currently drying in my garage right now. Hopefully this turns out well. And I used a dowel rod to prevent warping.

It takes a big man to apologize. I just want you to know that I'm happy you did that and I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to see what you do!

It takes a big man to apologize. I just want you to know that I'm happy you did that and I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to see what you do!

I have a w.i.p topic if you want to check my progress so far. And thanks! :D I'll be following your work too. it's fantastic so far.

As for on its own, thats a problem if you take a short hiatus. I let about 300 ml of resin Accidentally cure at the bottom of a bucket... Theres no way that was coming back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back