Resin still sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the less is more is great for people who could fiberglass on the inside. With my project I must do a lot of shaping to get it look right and perfect since fiberglassing on the outside has left me with major imperfections.
Edit to add:
Thats what electric sanders are for right! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what electric sanders are for right! ;)

Wrong. If you're slapping enough bondo on that you need to use a mouse sander to remove it, you're doing it very, very wrong.

Bondo is meant for detailing work and smoothing a piece over. It's not meant to be layered up like icing sugar and then blasted off afterwards - it's wasteful, your detail will suffer, and it defeats the entire purpose of using it in the first place. Carving your detail out like you're hammering away at a block of marble won't yield you the results you want.

Wrong. If you're slapping enough bondo on that you need to use a mouse sander to remove it, you're doing it very, very wrong.

Bondo is meant for detailing work and smoothing a piece over. It's not meant to be layered up like icing sugar and then blasted off afterwards - it's wasteful, your detail will suffer, and it defeats the entire purpose of using it in the first place. Carving your detail out like you're hammering away at a block of marble won't yield you the results you want.

I meant more like a dremel. But go check out my build, there are tons of pictures. I'm having to add layers to just fix the imperfections I made. Its cool. I totally understand what you are saying. We will see how mine turns out. But I know I had to add chunks of bondo in a few places to even it out.
Mine is the dot helmet build

I meant more like a dremel. But go check out my build, there are tons of pictures. I'm having to add layers to just fix the imperfections I made. Its cool. I totally understand what you are saying. We will see how mine turns out. But I know I had to add chunks of bondo in a few places to even it out.
Mine is the dot helmet build

I've seen your build. And, I mean no offence, but you're not going to achieve the detail you need without building up massive layers of the stuff, which - again - sort of defeats the purpose of bondo in the first place. I'm not sure you're even going to be able to build the back of your helmet enough to look authentic with bondo alone.

I've seen your build. And, I mean no offence, but you're not going to achieve the detail you need without building up massive layers of the stuff, which - again - sort of defeats the purpose of bondo in the first place. I'm not sure you're even going to be able to build the back of your helmet enough to look authentic with bondo alone.

None taken, this is my first true build and I'm learning as I go. I also take into mind what y'all say, even though it doesn't seem like it. I built the whole back with pep and fiberglass, that part i do not need a lot of bondo. It is mostly the top part that I need it to fill in the gap from the side of the visor to the center vented part. I'm going for an 7-8 out of 10 on this build. It was quite hard fiberglassing the outside. If you've kept up, I even added great stuff filler in the places under the paper. Come on over to my build log. You'll laugh and shake your head.

I fully agree with everyone here who has posted regarding the resin. And with me being a beginner, I learned something new. Thanks.

I did that, aye :\

Can you send a couple links to your builds. Not for me to criticize but to look at.

Also I cannot find the full hybusa download. The file no longer exists. Thanks buddy.

Just send me good vibes on my project and I promise what I start my regular build, not a moto helmet, I will abid by what you are saying a lot more. You'll see. Y'all have helped me out tons, you just don't know it. I wouldn't have anything without this site.

Can you send a couple links to your builds. Not for me to criticize but to look at.

I don't have any current armour builds - I wish I did, but my work is all mothballed due to my imminent migration to the United States. I realise that it's probably a little rich for me to give you advice without having an active build myself, but I've honestly spent years, and hundreds of dollars, on learning the techniques you're currently working at. I've also seen enough tutorials around to recognise that you're making the same mistakes early on that I did when I started, and I want to save you the wallet-ache now rather than later on when your budget is starting to suffer.

If you're still interested, I may be working on an old Warrior helmet I've had sitting around for a year or so now, to use up some of my spare resources before the winter months kick in - when I've begun I'll be sure to let you know and keep you informed of progress, and you're welcome to heckle the merry hell out of me :p

Also I cannot find the full hybusa download. The file no longer exists. Thanks buddy.

Halo 3 Hayabusa? You can find most of the currently-available files HERE in our Archive. If you need anything else, do give me a call and I'll see what I can do.

Just send me good vibes on my project and I promise what I start my regular build, not a moto helmet, I will abid by what you are saying a lot more. You'll see. Y'all have helped me out tons, you just don't know it. I wouldn't have anything without this site.

I'll try, but honestly... my critique will be the same either way. I don't mean to be rude, or put down your work - I recognise that this is a first attempt, and you're doing fine, but this isn't what I'd call an ideal first build for a beginner.

Out of interest, Chernobyl, what build would you suggest a beginner start with? Purely out of curiosity.

Something smaller, to be honest. Something that's easier to practise with, work on - something that doesn't cost an awful lot of time to construct, doesn't cost a lot of resources to practise with. Something simple, with a non-complex shape. Something reasonably flat, but with some curves and angles to practise working with filler along edges.

A basic Mk VI/Scout/EOD/CQB shoulderplate from Halo 3 might be good practise pieces. Failing that, perhaps a much simpler helmet, like Halo 3's Recon or CQB helmet. Once you have the raw, basic techniques down and are confident in your ability, you can move on to more complex pieces that require more work to complete.

Again, I've learned all of this at my own detriment in the past. I look back now at the amount of money I spent, the amount of time I wasted, and think 'good grief, I wish I'd have known back then what I know now'. Call it growing up.

I don't have any current armour builds - I wish I did, but my work is all mothballed due to my imminent migration to the United States. I realise that it's probably a little rich for me to give you advice without having an active build myself, but I've honestly spent years, and hundreds of dollars, on learning the techniques you're currently working at. I've also seen enough tutorials around to recognise that you're making the same mistakes early on that I did when I started, and I want to save you the wallet-ache now rather than later on when your budget is starting to suffer.

If you're still interested, I may be working on an old Warrior helmet I've had sitting around for a year or so now, to use up some of my spare resources before the winter months kick in - when I've begun I'll be sure to let you know and keep you informed of progress, and you're welcome to heckle the merry hell out of me :p

Buddy, I don't feel you are heckeling me at all. Lol. I was in the army. I was told that I was a ****bag that couldn't do anything right for 3 years. I like a little banter.
About your other builds, it wasn't to criticize at all. I just wanted to see what you've built. I looked through your previous started threads and couldn't find any. I just wanted to put a name to a piece of work.
You don't have to be on the defense. Tell me my work is ****ty. I'm cool with that lol. Maybe I will do better. I agree this isnt a noob type project but it's something that I've wanted for a long time, I know you understand. My sons helmet is next(just a regular pep helmet). Then I will alternate building him armor and me armor.
I hope the move to the US goes good. Where are you moving to?
I'll have to check my files again but it's either the helmet or the shoulders link is missing for the busa I believe. I'll have to check later when I'm by my computer.
Do you use bondo brand resin or the 2 part epoxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back