resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

billydakid

Jr Member
ok i just resined my helmet a few mintues ago (with a papper filter resperator, safety goggles, and glove ) now my face is starting to pull a few muscels

i hope i didnt get toxicated

is it ok to leave the helmet outside overnight to let it harden ?( how long should i wait before i bring it inside?) its not going to rain so i dont need to worry about that

bloodxbrothers said:
ok i just resined my helmet a few mintues ago (with a papper filter resperator, safety goggles, and glove ) now my face is starting to pull a few muscels
is it ok to leave the helmet outside overnight to let it harden ?( how long should i wait before i bring it inside?) its not going to rain so i dont need to worry about that

There's your problem. You should use a NIOSH approved respirator when you deal with these chemicals, not a paper filter mask. If your face is starting to pull a few muscles, I'd advise seeing a doctor. How long have you been resining it for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go outside and breathe some fresh air for about 15-20 minutes, then see a physician just to be safe. If you start having trouble breathing, it's definately time to go to the hospital.

Not a problem, just wanna make sure none of the members get hurt doing what we all enjoy best.

Just remember to wear a respirator next time and you'll be A-OK.

thanks, i could have waited till tommorow to go buy one

but my dad gave me the paper filter one ( he was given them at work given during the antrax threat )

i could smell the fumes so i held my breathe most of the time and walked away to take a breathe

Id say you're facial muscles spasms are more likely to be being caused by fatigue, its quite common. Exposing yourself to resin fumes for 15 mins is not likely to have caused you any neural problems.

bloodxbrothers said:
thanks, i could have waited till tommorow to go buy one
but my dad gave me the paper filter one ( he was given them at work given during the antrax threat )
i could smell the fumes so i held my breathe most of the time and walked away to take a breathe

Paper masks are good only against particulates not vapors. Here's all you need for vapor protection http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100076338

bloodxbrothers said:
These are useless against resin fumes, which you have already found. Get a respirator with organic solvent cartridges.

i ran across those earlier but i didnt think id need them,

thanks for the advise, now i can relax. ill go get them tommorow so i can continue my work

if the muscles in your face spasm is proably because of the combination of your mask sitting there and you holding your breath. it has fatiged your muscles.

How many times must we say this.

Cheap face mask's and such will not protect you from FUMES, they protect from dust.

the respirator jarhead showed,

the label said " do not use for -formaldehyde, acid gases, abestos and lead particulates or fumes, isocynate materials"

does resin contain any of this?

Against resins you need a mask with activated carbon filter. Like this.
It costs only 6 bux.
MSK2003_big.jpg

bloodxbrothers said:

HOW STUPID ARE YOU?! I made a topic just about the dangers of fiberglassing!
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...ty+instructions
Never kill yourself again!

AND BEVBOR THAT IS NOT ENOUGH!!! YOU NEED A NIOSH APPROVED RESPIRATOR OR A GAS MASK! That will only protect from particles!

-Finnish

Finnish_Spartan said:
AND BEVBOR THAT IS NOT ENOUGH!!! YOU NEED A NIOSH APPROVED RESPIRATOR OR A GAS MASK! That will only protect from particles!

-Finnish

Maybe I am wrong... But on webpage of this thing there are written that it is against resins...
Bdw I did my first piece resining without any mask, just on open air, on the roof of building where I work :). Just considering wind direction. I didn't feel vapors at all. :)
But it is not advice to others. It was even stupid, but just worked for me.
Preserve yourself anyway.

stop yelling at te noobs for not being saftey concious. if there too stupid to read the lable on a can of resin then mabey they shouldnt be around anyway.

Finnish_Spartan said:
HOW STUPID ARE YOU?! I made a topic just about the dangers of fiberglassing!
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...ty+instructions
Never kill yourself again!
You are WAY out of line in having that tone in your post. Have you forgotten what you did earlier?

Finnish_Spartan said:
Maybe you should take your own post to heart:

<blockquote>
This mask meets or exceeds the NIOSH N95 standard recommended by both the CDC and WHO for healthcare workers treating SARS.

Carbon is great for odor and organic vapor filtration. This nuisance level carbon mask is perfect for use when painting, woodworking, or working with household cleaning solvents. This mask carries the NIOSH R95* rating and is designed to help provide reliable protection against certain oil and non-oil based particles including those present with nuisance levels of organic vapors such as solvents, degreasers, and resins. Those sensitive to newspaper print or magazine ink will finally enjoy relief. 1 latex-free mask per package.

*NIOSH's R95 rating encompasses the N95 rating and the R signifies that is oil resistant, providing additional protection againt oil-based aerosol particles.
</blockquote>
You should have read the accompanying information about the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back