Respiratory protection and you

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBraus

Respirator safety

A handful of our members have been asking about proper respiratory protection when dealing with solvents, painting, particulates, and fiberglassing. Simple questions but they have bigger answers than you realize.

For simplicity sake, let's dive right in.

There is no one size fits all fix for respiratory protection. One cartridge does not protect you from everything. The same can be applied to gloves but that's an entirely different conversation. We need to take some time to look at what each of these filters do, their shelf life, and how to properly store the filters. Other things that may factor in could be a proper fit, and the cleanliness of your respirator.

Jeez, it sounds like I'm giving a safety briefing.

Let's start with the most important thing. Proper fitment of your respirator. In industry I have to do a pulmonary function test, and a respirator fit test yearly. The pulmonary function test makes sure it's safe for me to wear a respirator. The occupational health and safety guys need to know my lungs can handle the restrictions in airflow that occur when using respiratory protection. The fit test makes sure that it properly seals to my face. Braus has to shave for this part.

If you have a beard and are trying to wear a half faced respirator it is not going to be able to properly protect you!!!

Always clean your respirator after use!!! Also, in the age of covid, don't share respirators with other people. Mild detergent and water, with a quick rinse will clean all of the rubber and plastic bits. Don't mess with the filters, just remove them so they don't get wet. While cleaning your respirator go ahead and inspect it. Make sure plastic isn't cracked or the rubber rotted. Once dry, place in a large ziplock, or something similar. Filters can go into a separate bag.

Onto cartridges!!!

Gonna be sanding down some bondo? Use a P-100.

Gonna be painting? Use a vapor cartridge.

Fiberglass? Vapor cartridge.

Epoxy? Vapor cartridge!!!

Y'all see a pattern?

A P-100 is a particulate filter and it won't stop vapors from accosting your lungs.

Now, I mentioned shelf life earlier. For those of y'all that are unaware, vapor cartridges expire. Once opened they expire extremely quickly. That set of cartridges you have from two years ago is probably shot. Check the manufacturer supplied paperwork for how long those filters are good for.

But Braus, how can I tell if they are no longer good if they haven't expired yet?

If you can heavily smell what you're working on, be it epoxy, fiberglass, or paint, while wearing your respirator, then it isn't fitting correctly or the cartidges are saturated.

But Braus, cartridges are expensive!!!

And exactly how much money did you out into your cosplay? In my personal opinion, safety is a barrier to entry. Look at the halo universe. You think Kat enjoyed having a robotic arm? Safety first.

This is not an all inclusive training for respiratory protection, but there are some holes in PPE that need filled, and my work day is going really slow so I figured now would be a great time to talk about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back