Returning Noob: Insurrectionist

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyfist

Jr Member
Howdy all!

I joined the 405th quite a long time ago. I was younger, and more naive then (and I admit, I'm still young and Naive now). I tried out Armor making, and it wasn't really for me. I made a Halo 2 Marine helmet, which turned out looking like a green-ish blob of Rondo the size of a watermelon...Ahh the memories... I was reminded of armor making by a comic book store event by my Dad's office. I saw a bunch of Stormtrooper dudes and thought, "hey I wanted to do that". I've fiddled with the idea of starting something simple to put my toes back into the water. Anywho, I've decided to give armor making another whirl, hopefully to rekindle my fascination and make some cool stuff.

Due to multiple fiddlings in my head, I've decided to do something very easy, flexible to look almost any way, and something somewhat original: the infamous Innie!

Those of you familiar with the Halo books, and little annoyances from Halo Wars, you'll remember the Innsurectionists were the Al-Queda of the UNSC. In Halo Wars, they were designed to be a separate faction entirely, but were turned into a default "neutral" unit when production was imminent. Some pretty cool concept art stemmed from the idea of them. I've thought up a loadout that would match their role, and their style pretty well.

*enter imagination mode due to lack of pictures at the moment*

I've been in the hobby of airsoft for a few years now, and I have a MOLLE vest at my disposal. I see a bunch of Reach concept art with Troopers wearing bandoleers and mag pouches around themselves. I thought hey, if they can do it, Innies can strip similar gear from intergalactic black markets, or better yet, from the dead bodies of fallen UNSC people. I'm going to use the bottom half of a MOLLE chest rig to hold Magazines and a few small ditty pouches. on the upper part of this carrier, I'm going to place a medium sized chest plate with the Innie Fist seal. The Chest piece should look kind of like the chest piece worn by NMPD in H3ODST. Connected to that, I'll put on thigh plates, pretty much identical to Reach trooper plates, along with shoulder plates of the same origin. I'm not sure what to do with the back, but I'll think of something. Under the setup, I'll either wear my digi-woodland camo, or some ripped jeans and a hoody to make me more like a ticked off outer colony civie.

*exit imagination mode*

That's pretty much my idea. I'm planning on buying a roll of matting foam to shape the plates out of. Last time I tried out Pep files, my printer growled at me, my hands hurt afterwards, and my helmet looked less than up to par.

I'm still not sure how this will play out entirely. Any comments, suggestions or encouragement would be extremely appreciated. Thanks guys.

EDIT:
Here's a picture of the shape of chest plate I have templated out:
94348577-Full.jpg

Here's an old photo of what my chest rig used to look like:
image2.jpg

I'm going to try to put the chest piece where the admin pouch and other things are on the rig.

Alrighty, so I've done a wee bit of fiddling around with the armor. I was surprised how easy it was to use the foam compared to Pepakura. Here's some pics of the armor I did:
image-1.jpg
[/IMG]
image_1.jpg

image_6.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

I originally had a different Idea of what My chest piece would look like, but I misjudged my size, amount of foam I had, and a lot of other things, so I actually wound up changing my ideas on the patterns of the plates quite a bit. Either way, I'm pleased with my piddly work. I'm going to get some plasti-dip soon and paint these when I get the chance. Has anyone put fiberglass resin/rondo on this foam matting stuff? I'm not sure if it would be the best idea, but the thought did cross my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back