Reuseable Mother Molds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yodajammies

So I'm sitting here, eating my morning oatmeal, thinking about this bag of shapelock I just got in the mail. I thought to myself, you know, this would make a fantastic mother mold material and when you're done with the mold (eh), just melt it down and use it for something else.

This material really is something else. It has TONS of prop building applications.

www.shapelock.com

That looks interesting. I just ordered the sample also. I'll have to play with it. Might come in handy for a couple of projects. Nice find! Thanks!

By mother mold you mean the mold you use on the inside of the hard outer shell, not the actual hard outer shell... The mold you pour the plastics into right?

MisterChief said:
By mother mold you mean the mold you use on the inside of the hard outer shell, not the actual hard outer shell... The mold you pour the plastics into right?

No, the mother mold is the hard outer shell that holds the soft rubber mold in shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem I would forsee is that mothermolds typically get alot of resin on them.. so theres a good chance that you'd have to thoroughly clean it before reuse.

Why would you ever want to scrap your mother mold though? After doing so the expensive rubber mold you made would be useless!

Still, it doesn't hurt to have some materials that can be reused.. Polyester resin is getting expensive.. I paid $35 for a gallon recently.

Well sure, you wouldn't want to destroy a perfectly good mother mold.

I was just considering uses as far as scrap molding goes.

That and this makes a fairly nice casting material when doing small parts with low details.

Even as a molding material, this stuff rocks. Doesn't pick up a huge amount of detail, but for quick turn around projects or "throw away" steps, its worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back