Reusing cured silicon and plastic. Whats the final verdict?

alix965

I would like to know what the experts think. I have a bunch of waste molds that I'm considering using for a final cast. In addition I have some less than perfect test pulls that are just sitting there, mocking me, just daring me to get my money's worth out of them.

So if I shred the rubber and grind/grate the plastic, do you guys think it a viable option as filler for a new mold/cast?

Thanks

Hickeydog

I'm no caster, but I think that will work. I remember seeing Throsolli doing something similar to that in his epic MK6 build.

alix965

I'm no caster, but I think that will work. I remember seeing Throsolli doing something similar to that in his epic MK6 build.
I tried searching the words reusing and material and old molds and casts in the creation and general duicsussion forums but I never thought of looking in the elite section. imma go there right now.
Thanks for putting me on the path friend.

Brandon McClain

You can use it as filler, for things like keys and what not, but I am wary about reusing it in a glove mold. Some will. If you do, use it on later layers. Make sure you cut it into smaller pieces. You can also use an adhesion promoter like sil-poxy which will help.

alix965

You can use it as filler, for things like keys and what not, but I am wary about reusing it in a glove mold. Some will. If you do, use it on later layers. Make sure you cut it into smaller pieces. You can also use an adhesion promoter like sil-poxy which will help.
Thanks Brandon! That sounds exactly like what I was planning. I was thinking a detail layer with the new stuff and then pouring in the new/old mix to fill out the rest of the mold box. I'm assuming the Sil-poxy is a smooth-on product? It sounds like something they would sell. Also do you think that the urethane could be used the same way? I know they sell almond shell shavings or something that would act as a filler. I can't see why cured plastic couldn't as well.

Loess

Thanks Brandon! That sounds exactly like what I was planning. I was thinking a detail layer with the new stuff and then pouring in the new/old mix to fill out the rest of the mold box. I'm assuming the Sil-poxy is a smooth-on product? It sounds like something they would sell. Also do you think that the urethane could be used the same way? I know they sell almond shell shavings or something that would act as a filler. I can't see why cured plastic couldn't as well.
The urethane could probably be ground up and used for thickening new casting resin, to make a knock-off kind of plasti-paste for mothermolds. You'd need to grind it fairly fine, or use something like cabosil to make the resin thick and sticky, and add the coarse-ground urethane for bulk.