Rex 084's MK VI MC Suit WIP (with LOTS of pics) :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything is looking great there Rex! I learned the hard way to never cut out all the pieces, one of my dogs went in my room while I was in the kitchen getting water and decided that a few pieces would be a good snack... Of course, I didn't notice until after I spent an hour or so looking for said pieces. Keep it up! Your build is looking great! I need to get back on the ball and working on mine.

Yup, that happened to that particular HD helmet actually. My youngest cat, Zoe, has a paper fetish. She chews the it up like crazy. She won't touch my finished peps, but she steals the parts as i cut them out. I have to really keep an eye out for her when I'm working on this stuff, lol. I'll post a pic of her later. She's much too adorable for her own good. Kinda makes me really angry that I can't stay mad at her for very long when she successfully destroys a piece of my pep work.

Hey all. Been FAR too long since I've done anything worth talking about. I'll recap the past year for you all. ;-)

So to start, a few of the pieces I had completed were scaled completely wrong, including the helmet, the chest, the cod, and one of the shins. Basically everything I had built except the shoulder/bicep bits. After all that, well, life got in the way. My gf left me and I was kinda down and out for a while. In July, I met a wonderful young lady and we hit it off really well. Been dating ever since and she's one of the most wonderful people I've ever met.

Forward to the present. Have been lurking on the forum again for the past few weeks. The new gf (Amanda) has seen me looking and dreaming and finally told me to get off my keister and just do it. I love that girl. ;-) So here I am, back in action looking forward to showing you all my progress.

I started to rebuild the helmet first, I figured I'll just jump right in to the deep end. I picked the flyingsquirl HD MK VI. I've always personally thought it was the best looking (though the new H4 set up is mouth wateringly sweet). Just started it tonight, so no progress pics up yet.

However, I did pick up a knew x-acto knife. I've tried some other methods of cutting while building the other pieces (regular scissors, tiny scissors [that actually worked quite well but cramped my hand to much] box cutter, etc.) and happen to like the straight x-acto the best.

Now, my favorite quote is one from the signature of one of our members. "Wow, my hand really hurts. - Every one who has ever done pepakura" That being said, I have found something quite interesting.
2013-01-25_19-16-41_729.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-01-25_19-12-34_622.jpg

So far so good. It's much more comfortable and because it's set as it is, it seems to be very accurate with no slippage whatsoever. plus the angle is perfect so I don't break off the tip of the blade, which with a regular x-acto I was prone to do. Cost about $10 at Michael's. Totally worth the money.

Anyway guys, thanks for all you inspirational builds. They really helped me get back the drive and motivation to get this thing done. Hopefully I can impress you guys with something awesome. :)

Thanks for looking!

Rex out.

Way to stick with it man. I also know what it is like to pour absurd amount of time in this project only to find out that your sizing's off.

Keep that woman. Keep her close. I love the little finger thingy you have there. Also your cat cherio looks like my cat that tramples my pep-work. I'm loving the build keep it up.

Lol, thanks, Cayoke. She's awesome. I'll see if she'll let me post a pic of her later.

That little finger thing is made by Fiskars. Takes a regular x-acto #11 blade (standard size x-acto blade) and I'll tell ya, 6 hours straight and this thing is awesome. No cramping, no sore fingers, and no slipping or irregular lines. I throw out my official (though modest) recommendation the check it out and pick one up, if you pep using an x-acto knife.

Hopefully I'll have pics of the finished helmet later this weekend. Questions, comments, and criticisms welcome and requested. Have fun guys, thanks for looking!

Rex out.

Hey all. Been a bit busy lately. I've got the new helmet about a quarter done. Looks a bit small, but I've got a small head (I wear an extra small motorcycle helmet), so it'll probably be alright. :p
2013-01-25_23-09-03_723.jpg

HD Mk VI by Flyingsquirl all printed
2013-01-25_23-08-18_446.jpg

So far so good.
2013-01-26_18-55-30_976.jpg

2013-01-26_21-27-39_447.jpg

2013-01-28_21-46-18_420.jpg

What I've got done so far. This HD model is ridiculous. lots of parts and very detailed. I only hope my scaling is ok.

On a random note, I work in a motorcycle shop, and ride as often as possible. Lately I've been thinking it might be awesome for a Spartan II to show up to the Halo 5 release riding a motorcycle. As we make only costume helmets and I appreciate having a fully intact head (not to mention VA does have a helmet law, so any helmet I wear must be DOT approved, which a costume helmet won't be), I went in search of something I could use while wearing the armor while still being legal and safe for my head. What I found was the Icon Variant Battlescar in Cover Green.
2012-12-19_15-59-14_930.jpg

I bought it and put a gold faceshield on it. For something that wasn't designed to look like something out of the Mjolnir Armor line, this thing does a good job of it. I'll upload a pic of it with the gold faceshield on it later. I thought I had a pic, but I don't and I want to get one of i in the daylight.

Anyway, as always, questions, comments, and criticisms welcome. I'd love to hear what you all think! Thanks for looking!

Rex out.

It's coming along nicely, and the pep is really clean. Anyway, Sounds like the motorcycle thing could be awesome to watch (if you ever do, see if you can get somebody to film it :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back