Rhinoc might have to say goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobbatron

Well my friends, I have fought long and hard. But my time may come to an end someday! Reach was released, so I did what most people expect, play it like a fat kid eats donuts. This is making my dad think that it is taking over my life and I am treading on thin ice, appearently he heard one of the marines in campaign yell the f word and that pissed him off, did I mention it didn't happen! So I have to play with it on mute and then I stay up until 10:02 and my dad yells at me that I need to be in bed by 10:00 and, again, says it is taking over my life! He has threatened to take away all things halo related and throw 'em out including my xbox and all my armor. He will then ban me from the 405th until I am out of the house. We are losing a lot of members these days... I don't want to be one of them. I will keep this thread updated if need be

I swear I am starting to hate my old man, he takes everything away I am GTFO.

Hope I will be able to stay,
Ben

my xbox recently RRoDed and it has actually been a bit relaxing i used to play halo 3 10 hours a day and then i found this site after the xbox died. so yeah just take a break. :D

Trust me, take a week off, make sure that you're only on Reach during the Early afternoon, and not on long.

And I'm not saying that you should hide Halo from your parents, I say that you should show them(Respectfully of course.) that Halo is not taking over your life.

i know exactly how you feel, i used to have the same problem but with D2 back in the day. i solved it by making a compromise - i can play these days, for so many hours/min or whatever. maybe your dad will be more cooperative if you guys meet on middle ground. good luck :)

It's all about moderation, you know. I've been here a long time and I've felt over-saturated that I had to take some time off several times. In fact, I'm in one right now and instead of doing Halo, I'm immersing myself in WH40K lore and pep.

You really have no choice but follow your dad. If you can show him that you have the self-discipline to let go of Halo as you are told, there's a good chance that he'll give you some slack. As a parent, he just doesn't want you to become too obsessed with it. He has seen more than enough in his lifetime to know that such behavior will not lead to anything good.

Hi Ben,

As others have said above me, it's all about moderation.

I don't know if this will help or not, but my oldest son is 16. There have been times when I have had to say the exactly same thing to him that your dad said to you. What is the cause or motivation behind it you may ask?? Well I don't know if this applies in your situation, but what had led me to say it to say this to my son is some of the following. When my son is on his computer is his dedicated 100% to what he is doing on it, so much in fact that he neglects doing his chores, when his sister (or anyone else) asks him something he snaps a response back. He hurries through his homework to get to his computer....pretty much everything else is simply an annoyance to him other then playing his computer. When it is time for bed I don't want to tell him anymore it is time for bed, I have told him for 16 years, he can tell time as well as I can.

Basically what I think your dad is looking for is for you to handle playing this game with responsibility. I believe he might be feeling that while you are living at home there are other things you are responsible for. Weather it is true or not, he may have the impression that playing the game has taken top priority and with that all other things will be neglected. Thus his response is to remove the thing that is (in his mind) causing you to loose focus on other things in life.

If I can make a suggestion? While taking a break a never a bad thing, I would suggest just being open with him. When your going to play...let him know that everything else you need to do is already done (he might check to make sure it is :) ) or if it is not tell him when you are going to do it (then do it as you said you would). Tell him that while your playing that if he needs anything just let you know. If your bed time is 10pm, at 9:58 make sure he knows you are off the game and going to bed.

I hope this makes sense...I am trying to help you understand where I think your dad is coming from, the same stance I have to take at times with my son. Believe it or not, I actually hate having to take this approach with my son. But at times I feel a drastic action is the only thing that will resolve the overall problem. I am sure your dad takes no pleasure in having to do the same. The easier you make it on him...the easier it will be on you :)

So if I understand this right because the f word is in a game, and because you were on it just a couple minutes past your bedtime your dad throws a fit about both problems threatening to throw away your stuff, well just like the other people said take a break for a little while from the games or try to get to bed earlier than normal. Could just be that your dad was in a bad mood that day, never know, but like everyone has suggested, take a little break.

Hey Rhinoc, your 3D work is great.

I suggest perhaps taking a little break and working on assets for a 3D modeling demo reel, if that's what you want to do that is :)

It will definitely be a good idea, especially if you plan on going to college for this sort of thing.

So if I understand this right because the f word is in a game, and because you were on it just a couple minutes past your bedtime your dad throws a fit about both problems threatening to throw away your stuff, well just like the other people said take a break for a little while from the games or try to get to bed earlier than normal. Could just be that your dad was in a bad mood that day, never know, but like everyone has suggested, take a little break.
He was pretty moody that day...

@Hugh Holder- Thanks man, that means a LOT coming from you! What college would you suggest for 3d modeling, I seriously have fallen in love with it almost as much as I love... well... I cant tell you guys (its a secret!)

I guess I will take a little gaming break... I need it.

@Sabre- The apprentice has become the mentor. lol

I mean it isnt my top priority to play games, I only play 1-2 hours a day except for weekends. I always do my homework as best as possible, finish all my chores, ya know?

I talked to my dad a little and I should be OK! I'm staying guys!

wh- wha- what? ;.;
but who's gonna yell @ me when i post a new thread that someone already posted?!?
Oh wait ur staying? YAYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! My dad and family in general hate me and yell at me about everything from costuming, video games, conventions, just to existing...so I know how you feel. Glad things turned out ok!!

And keep up the excellent modeling, mate.^_~

wh- wha- what? ;.;
but who's gonna yell @ me when i post a new thread that someone already posted?!?
Oh wait ur staying? YAYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mendez... If I were to leave, honestly many noobs would be screwed! There arent as many people who are nice about it anymore, nowadays people just get bashed!

Looks like you'd have to yell at yourself!

Glad your staying and got it figured out.

Me mentor??? naw...just an old man that talks to much :)

Now Master Modeler...your padawan will go back to his corner

What college would you suggest for 3d modeling

Well, first off if you don't have a good chunk of change for college then save your money and just look at community colleges/smaller schools. A lot of kids fall into the trap of signing up for 'for profit' universities without any kind of money and end up with way too much debt.

The good news about the 3d industry is it is all about the work you do, not the school you graduated from. At least that's the way it has been for me. The bad news is you have a lot of competition, and you'll have to constantly be honing your skills. Start off small, save money, and get really good. Shoot for at least attaining a Bachelors, almost all jobs that I've interviewed for require it.

Hope you will be fine in a week or so!:) Your models have inspierd me! Thanks;)

Im also planing too go to a college for game developing or 3d modeling. My cousin is at that school right now:p Im kinda jelousXD

Either take a break or play a little less. I cannot play on weekdays except Fridays and weekends. Except Sunday I play less. If you stay up to ten PM that is an issue man. Play a little less and go out with friends or work out.

Either take a break or play a little less. I cannot play on weekdays except Fridays and weekends. Except Sunday I play less. If you stay up to ten PM that is an issue man. Play a little less and go out with friends or work out.
Again, I dont start at 6 AM and play till 10 PM! Last night I started to play at 9 PM so honestly I only played an hour! And I DO play with friends I DO get out of the house and I DO work out! I am not one of those people that sits around their house ALL frickin day doing nothing but browsing the web, playing video games, and watching the TV! The way you put it seems a little rude!

@Jico- Thanks man! Always good to know I have inspired people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back