ringworld, inspiration for halo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacbury

i just saw the cover of this book called 'ring world' and thought "hey that looks like halo!"
when i searched for it on wikipedia i found out it is like halo! but it was made more than 30 years earlier
both are set in the future, both are about a massive ring, both are set in space, both are about people exploring the ring...
Ringworld(1stEd).jpg

coincidence? you decide... here a link to the wiki link

pacbury said:
i just saw the cover of this book called 'ring world' and thought "hey that looks like halo!"
when i searched for it on wikipedia i found out it is like halo! but it was made more than 30 years earlier
both are set in the future, both are about a massive ring, both are set in space, both are about people exploring the ring...
Ringworld(1stEd).jpg

coincidence? you decide... here a link to the wiki link
cool, looks like something Scientologist dude Ron L. Hubbard would have written.

Quick! Someone read it and find out Bungie's secrets!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ring type colonies have been a concept for space colonization for a long time now.

A ring type design is meant to spin in place therefore creating gravity on the inside edge of the ring. The size of the ring and how fast it spins determines the level of gravity. This is simple Physics otherwise known as centrifugal force.

The fictional world of Halo is based on some very recognizable science fiction franchises. Have a another look at Aliens or Starship Troopers and you'll see some very undeniable similarities.

pelican_dropship_front.JPG

The Halo Pelican Dropship

aliens-dropship.jpe

The Aliens Dropship

569773675_4a9f6d30a0.jpg

The Bungie guys were all fans of these films and books, and Halo is their homage to some of their favorite science fiction.

Heres some other science fiction that uses similar vehicles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropship_%28science_fiction%29

Actually the Elephant was inspired by this:

sandcrawler.jpg

Star Wars Sandcrawler

600px-Elephant_1up.jpg

Halo 3 Elephant

Bungies said that many times in the podcasts, dunno if it was ever stated more officially than that.

In just about every single game, book, movie, or art piece nowadays, the artist(s) has/have been inspired by some previous work from earlier years. Even more well-known art pieces had to have came from somewhere. The fact is that very few things in life came simply from nothing.

Bungie rips off everyone for ideas. LOL. Like it was said earlier, Aliens was a huge inspiration for Halo. Look at the scene where you first meet the flood in Halo CE and tell me you didn't feel like it was from Aliens.

Hell they even rip off themselves, look at Marathon

Actually anybody who knows the company well enough knows that they're mostly fans that made it to that career, they're always honoring their inspirations with references to stuff like this. They're not ripping off anybody, they're just referencing the stuff that inspires them.

Sean Bradley said:
Actually anybody who knows the company well enough knows that they're mostly fans that made it to that career, they're always honoring their inspirations with references to stuff like this. They're not ripping off anybody, they're just referencing the stuff that inspires them.
well at least the warthog was original oh, and the hornet cause there awesome

spartan 26 said:
thats off of one of those old alien movies, but why isn't on avp

Because AVP is a terrible attempt at bringing back two great movie franchises.

All main characters have the IQ of 12 and the concept of the xenomorph being an intelligent, patient creature is thrown out the door because stupid directors don't know the definition of the word "cannon".

Those old alien movies happen to be the only thing that keep the series from collapsing.

I just hope Halo doesn't have the same fate.

Idiots who have no idea what the're doing may be climbing into our cockpit. We can't let that happen.

xalener said:
Because AVP is a terrible attempt at bringing back two great movie franchises.

All main characters have the IQ of 12 and the concept of the xenomorph being an intelligent, patient creature is thrown out the door because stupid directors don't know the definition of the word "cannon".

Those old alien movies happen to be the only thing that keep the series from collapsing.

I just hope Halo doesn't have the same fate.

Idiots who have no idea what the're doing may be climbing into our cockpit. We can't let that happen.
i have to agree. i saw both in theaters :oops: and wasted good money for such terrible attempts of bringing the 'new' generation into the Alien and Predator craze

Yeah, lets hope whoever ends up making Halo will make it closely to the games and books and etc., not trying to bring in 'a new audience' and change it. (cough.....Speed Racer......cough) :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back