Props RoxyRoo's Guns and Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxyRoo

Kinda strange to see the site looking so... green. >.>

Now that I've completed my armor and took a short break from costuming, I'm moving on to building weapons and props for my spartan. The start to this build is... small. I'm not even sure if this method will work out for me. I'm following DaFrontlineTrooper's magnum tutorial on youtube, which you can watch here:

DOW insulation styrofoam is really cheap. You can buy a huge hunk of 2x8 for around 10 bucks at Lowe's. I've worked with it before for art projects back in college, but never for my own personal projects. I think I'm off to a fairly good start though. Updates will continue all weekend.

NOTE: The magnum I'm building is just the trial run. What i really want to build is a shotgun or a DMR. Maybe both. I thought I would start small and easy just to get the hang of carving.

Picture time
Photoon2012-07-06at17373.jpg

Photoon2012-07-06at1737.jpg

Size to my hand:
Photoon2012-07-06at1740.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OwO I like this method.

It's only been a few hours and I'm totally digging the carved foam method. Look how far I've taken this thing! and it's only been one day. Crazy!

Photoon2012-07-06at21382.jpg

looking great are you planning to coat it with anything or keep it strictly foam and paint over..???

Yey Roxy's back building! I thought it might be a weapon for the suit. Looking good so far sweetie. Can't wait for more.

Keep up the awesome work,
Tom.

^w^ Yes I am! And oohhoo look. I haz a video. This is from Phoenix Comicon 2012. Me and CrymsonValkyrie (Cortana) were just messing around with forced perspective. I was going to make this all cool with special effects and such, but when I tried to I realized the video was shot in too low of a resolution. Sooo.. yeah.

And.. is it just me, or does my helmet look really big in this video?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see it on my iPad, embedded vids don't show on them and going up to the desktop in my office could wake the little one :(

Edit: I found it. To honour it I will have to do a vid of me messing around in my suit for you, hammer in hand ofc :)

And.. is it just me, or does my helmet look really big in this video?

Spartans in the games have
1. heroic proportions - they heads are relatively smaller compared to their total height than that of a normal human
2. cheated helmets - they wouldn't be able to wear them, even with the proportionally smaller heads

So it may look big compared to the game characters, but don't worry about it!

That was a cool video :)

Pistol looks good btw, keep it up.
I have seen the same tut from dafrontlinetrooper as well. Seems really easy to do.

The pistol has all the detailing now. It's sanded the best it can be. I need to prep it for painting now.

**NOTE: The gun looks a lot nicer than it really is. Those tiny edges are rough. I can't get it smooth enough for my own liking, but whatever. It's my first gun. It's okay for it to be rough. I may remake this later.

Photoon2012-07-13at17202.jpg

Photoon2012-07-13at17203.jpg

Photoon2012-07-13at17204.jpg

Okay... I'm really glad i started with just a pistol because I certainly learned a lot. To say it straight, the pistol got ruined. T.T

The pistol was OKAY. It was my first one ever and my first time carving insulation foam with exacto blades. When attempting the paint job, I stupidly ignored DaFrontlineTrooper's advice of using acrylic paint. Reason being, spray paint eats foam. But I knew this, so I decided to plasti-dip the foam first, which worked okay. I think some of the smooth texture I had gotten while sanding was lost. Also, it was probably a waste of plasti-dip. I should have used acrylic gell. I have a lot of it and would have sealed it better. >.>;; I spray painted a steel color on but it was an old can... that's what i get for not testing it first. I'm not going to bother finishing the paint job. This one is already unsalvageable.

Ok, so here's my first try, crappy pistol.

2012-07-14161351.jpg

2012-07-14161408.jpg

Here's my biggest mistake: I tried using paint thinner to get the spray paint off. I've used this before on my armor and it worked fine, but paint thinner is NOT a good a idea for insulation foam. It eats it. Alive. O_O

2012-07-14161420.jpg

I WILL REMAKE THIS. Cuz practice makes better. :D

^^

Sooooo... I'm making a knife attachment now. This is my knife so far. I'm making it out of matte board and paperclay. I wish I could make it stiff with resin, but I don't have any. XD I might have to remake this knife too, but I'm in a rush. I'm going into the desert today to do a photoshoot of sorts. :D

Photoon2012-07-15at2359.jpg

Photoon2012-07-15at23592.jpg

2012-07-15100343.jpg

I thought I commented on this but apparently not! The foam pistol looks awesome! Is there some way to put a coating or hardener on it? I feel like I'd end up destroying it. Looks great though and I'm sure you can fix it!

Dang those props look really good the magnum was beautiful... but other than looking a little fuzzy it actualy looked really good and so does the knife. Keep it up

Great carving skills Roxy. Now if you can just get it to seal better so you can sand it and smooth it out more. Nice work on the knife too. Glad to see you back at it.:D

See what had happened is, the covenant switched out your thinner with a weapon eating liquid and that's what happened to your gun... lol
Its alright about the pistol, still looks great, now u know for future projects :)
Knife lookin good too

haha! Stupid Covenant. I should have known..

More updates. I "finished" the knife attachment. What I mean by finished, I mean that it's photo worthy. It needs resin or something to make it sturdy. Right now it's reaaaallly flimsy. >.> It's good for pictures and not much else.

Photoon2012-07-16at1747-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back