Rubberized Rocker Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

Member DIN
S416
Does anyone have experience with this product? It is on sale at Canadian Tire right now and I am wondering if it might work as an alternative to Plasti Dip?

657f616346b2228d2b060dec946ad9f9.jpg

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" -Suzie

Attachments

• 657f616346b2228d2b060dec946ad9f9.jpg
    657f616346b2228d2b060dec946ad9f9.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 222
Plasta dip is the same as the following items:

Flex Seal
Blue Magic 950
Krylon Black Rubber Coating
Rusto-Oleum rubber undercoat
Nu-Calgon rubber spray from Grainger
3M Rubber Spray
OER K89570 Rubber Spray

All work the same......The difference is Plasta Dip comes in colors. The rest come only in black or white.......I could be wrong but I've only seen them in black or white. So I am going to assume that you have the Canadian version of one of these.......

Thanks! A quick search and I see Rust-Oleum rubber undercoat for $8.97 at Home Depot. And I only care about black.

I have been wondering about Envirotex (after reading Carpathia's thread on it) but can't figure out how much you need. That stuff could get expensive quick.

Also looking at Evakura's polyurethane method.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

I was mentored by Evakura and I can tell you from personal experience that his polyurethane method works. I used it for my suit and over a year later there is very minimal cracking in the paint, even in high friction areas.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see a test study with this stuff from Canadian tire though! Too bad I don't have time to hop the border and grab some to check it out.

Reactions: Jme
I was mentored by Evakura and I can tell you from personal experience that his polyurethane method works. I used it for my suit and over a year later there is very minimal cracking in the paint, even in high friction areas.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see a test study with this stuff from Canadian tire though! Too bad I don't have time to hop the border and grab some to check it out.

Is this method on the forums? I'm inclined to research it myself. Being a general cosplayer with a number of armour-based costumes planned for the future... this could prove useful.

- - - Updated - - -

I may just have to pick some up to test.

Asked my dad about the stuff earlier and turns out it's an oil-based tar spray or something like that? Not sure how that would affect foam or if it would change anything.

There are a ton more out there.......each should work just as well as any other......

Just to add onto this in relation to the title, rocker guard will not give the same results as plasti dip, though it could be used for some applications of costume making. It goes on quite thick and rubbery, and is very textured as well. I quite regularly use it on my vehicles for high-wear areas(inside fenders, along rocker panels, etc), and it is quite strong stuff. The texture is similar to bed liner on a truck, though generally not quite as aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back