RvB Church & Doc (Plus Others) for Megacon 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfing

A big hello to the wide world of the 405th and the internet!

We are a group of high school and college students hopefully who will put the whole RvB Blood Gulch (A la Halo 3) cast together for Megacon 2016 in Orlando, Florida. At minimum, we'll have Church, Doc, Caboose and Grif. If I can convince her, my sister will be Donut even though she only watched up to season 5. As we are a bunch of students, we're just planning to do helmets with matching colored clothes and weapons.

Since I'm the one with access to fiberglass and time, I'm going to make my helmet, sniper rifle, and the plasma pistol for Doc. Everyone else will be buying their helmets and repainting them, as well as making weapons or other props. Sorry for the potato quality, I'm not a photographer...I'm also under the deadline of I need to finish before I start college in the fall. Thankfully, it's Florida and hot hot hot.

Helmet
I choose the pepakura route since I have origami, cutting, and some pepakura experience, and my dad has fiberglass experience. The first helmet was sized to 7 inches...

tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo6_1280.jpg tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo4_1280.jpg

Laughably small and dubbed the Practice Helmet for our fiberglass trials, I restarted and resized it up to 10 inches. Thank god for Yrien over on the RPF, I switched to Mac since my last pepakura and this would have been impossible without her.

tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo4_1280.jpg tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo6_1280.jpg tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo8_1280.jpg
Fiberglass and rondo combo will start work shortly. I plan on doing the 2 layer visor as well. In game, Church is Cobalt. I've narrowed it down to Danube or Jacaranda for the choice. It doesn't sit quite right without the padding inside, and I'm wondering if a fan will be required.

Plasma Pistol
tumblr_nprjt0nRBp1r5y2ioo1_1280.jpg
I haven't found one on the forum yet. My plan is to fiberglass the outside and rondo the inside, which is why it's unfinished built. I have enough green furniture foam from a previous build to glue inside for support if that seems like a good idea. I'd like to have it be 'charged', ie run this between the tips and have it turn on for photos. I'm not sure how to finish the inside and still have access to the electronics? Or where to install a switch for it. We could cut a button into the handle that wouldn't be too noticeable.

Rifle
For the sniper rifle, Sithslayer78's build was exactly the kind of build I needed to fit to convention standards, light enough to carry for 3 days, and not require a wood master. I plan on using the same blue string lights for the scope for that extra pop, as well as make it possible to 'cock'. I saw somewhere of using an orange foam tip at the end of the barrel for convention rules and that's perfect. My friends wanted to see progress, so here's a tiny video for that purpose.

Couple questions to start off with.
  1. When making rondo, do you mix the two parts of both and then add them together? Everyone just says fiberglass and rondo but they are two part products? I know you only need one hardener, as per this forum.
  2. Which color?

Thanks guys, and keep on building!

tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo3_250.jpg

tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo6_250.jpg

tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnhyk7Zjzq1r5y2ioo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_nprjt0nRBp1r5y2ioo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nnvukuwJAQ1r5y2ioo6_1280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a very big undertaking, when is the con? Also, the mix ratio is 1:1 for Rondo. Mix the resin and Bondo together first, then add the hardener and mix again then pour. I'm also not sure what you meant when you asked color.

Sounds like you have a very big undertaking, when is the con? Also, the mix ratio is 1:1 for Rondo. Mix the resin and Bondo together first, then add the hardener and mix again then pour. I'm also not sure what you meant when you asked color.

The con is June 2016.

Ahh that makes sense.

I've got two shades listed and I'm having problems deciding between the two for Cobalt in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back