Sacrificing accuracy for recognizablity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I don't completely understand what you mean here. You meant to write here just to share your thoughts, to recommend or suggest something or asking for opinions?

I don't really see a point in enlarging ODST shoulder pauldons. ODST aren't Spartans, they are just normal people, their body armor is *not* MJOLNIR armor that Spartans wear.

As for Spartan armor ODST-themed, for lack of better word - GEN2 has two (or 3 if you count Nightfall as ODST-ish) - ODST from Halo 4 and HELLJUMPER from Halo 5. They are similar to ODST, especially the ODST from Halo 4 - which is very similar, however there are differences as it's MJOLNIR... while HELLJUMPER is true next-gen Spartan armor based on ODST.

Sorry if it came off that way. I like to think of it as being similar to they way that the armour is depicted in comics and animated media. Oftern the most recogniseable parts of the armour are emphasised in order to clearly tie the depiction to a specific armour set. Also i started this thread mostly to see if other people had done anything similar. And please excuse my use of the word spartan i probably should have used the word soldier. (Ill edit the thread description). Also i just wanted to point out that while having super accurate armour is cool some times a little embelishment can make you appear even more bad ass. I am also currently helping a mate with his build but he is alot leaner than i am and we were throwing ideas around as to how to make his armour sit better on him. Also i had to enlarge my shoulder puldrons from there original stencil just becaurse they weren't big enough for me. Im 6 foot tall and i weigh 94kgs (mostly muscle) but im a soldier in the australian army and i would by no means expect some one else to put there body what i put mine through. So i was in essance trying to get a few of the more experience builders to chip in and share some thoughts so that people just starting out have a few things to consider when they start out

Comics and animated media in Halo are like... the most inaccurate things... In comics armor looked very often disfigured and disproportionate. Same with the Legends. Sometimes it was really painful to look at, imo.
Well, all I can say is that if Halo was done by Japaneese peeps you'd surely have had it looking way different - huge pauldrons, etc.
I personally didn't see anyone building a suit like that - Halo suits are more practical. You don't want a huge World of Warcraft-like shoulder pauldrons, they are totally unpractical. ODST armor is actually practical and it was designed so that we - audience should buy it.

It doesn't matter how tall you are and your body type. You make armor to fit you. FANGS wrote it great in the "Deployment" thread - you make the armor fit you, that people buy it that it's armor you wear and not that someone borrowed you. Fit. Fit. Fit. If you have more muscle, like you did, you have to enlarge it. You make the armor fit you.
It's easier with slimmer people - you can either cut the piece to fit or you can fill it. If you want to portray a very lean and no-muscle rookie, you can, if you want however a more hardened ODST that gained muscle through training - you can do it even with a very lean body. You just add mass - foam, other materials and it'll give the appearance a person wants. ODST are wearing full body suit and armor - they aren't naked so you can make a lot.
If someone has more mass - they also make the armor fit them. If it means to enlarge some parts, they do it. People do wonders.

Make the armor fit you, that's the most important thing.

Even people at 501st or ones who want to join them and buy the Anovos Stromtrooper kits - they have a lot to do to make these kits fit their body perfectly and their bodies vary a lot, yet the Stormtrooper armor is pretty generic - no oversize parts, etc.

...unless you are aiming for the oversized comic/anime thing, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Marawuff is correct. Fit is the most important part of any build. My suggestion for anyone who is smaller and needs to bulk out a little, build some foam in to an undersuit instead of just padding the armor. This keeps the armor from looking padded and you get a much more snug and comfortable fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marawuff is correct. Fit is the most important part of any build. My suggestion for anyone who is smaller and needs to bulk out a little, build some foam in to an undersuit instead of just padding the armor. This keeps the armor from looking padded and you get a much more snug and comfortable fit.

Yeah.
Some motorcycle padding looks cool and I've seen many people use it.
Gabe from Lost Viking Props is lately building his own Mark V and also making an undersuit for it - the undersuit does make him A LOT bulkier, so something similar could be good.

1916071_10207622149364487_7903696207366880658_n.jpg

Here is the link - https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?...29658084.2105448.1013709602&type=3&permPage=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back