Sanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk8er4life

Im am about to start my pep armor. But am wondering how much resin i should buy. I was planning on buying it in gallons. I am 5ft tall. I want a 2 layers on the out side and 1 on the inside. So how many should i purchase? Would that be strong enugh? I really dont want to spend to much money($150 bucks to spend) so is that enugh since i have every thing except resin?

2 cans of bondo brand fiberglass resin. Should cost 12-14 dollars per can.

2 sheets of 3 x 3 fiberglass, 6-7 dollars each.

You may want to test and see hardness for my 1st helm i used an entire can and almost 8' of fiberglass cloth to make it hard enough.
So experiment but i say 1 can of resin mabey an extra tube of hardener $2.00, 1 can of bondo$10.,and some spot filler about$5-$10.ea

Last edited by a moderator:
would 1gal of resin be enugh for 2 layers on every thing but the toso and 3 layers on that with a fribre glass cloth will hold up my sut well? And do i sand down the resin? I not bondoing im adding sharpie detail

Ok i will buy 1gal and buy more if needed. But now sanding. I read the tut but do i need to use bondo or can i use resin and sand down just the pointy edges?

iamyourcousin228 said:
Ok i will buy 1gal and buy more if needed. But now sanding. I read the tut but do i need to use bondo or can i use resin and sand down just the pointy edges?

You need to use Bondo for building up areas that are not smooth. You will probably need extra hadener for the resin and bondo

If I remember correctly, I was able to do mine with a quart of resin. That includes two coats on the outside, one on the inside along with a resined layer of fiberglass cloth.

At O'Reillys Auto Parts, I think I got a 3' x 3' package of fiberglass cloth, and I probably only used about a square foot to fiberglass the inside. I think it was...5 bucks for that.

If you do end up buying the gallon, you could buy a bit of bondo, and then do that mud technique that's gaining more popularity.

SpartanNoob said:
hey what are LAYERS? i didnt find this in the stickies and how many gallons sould i buy i mean theres so manny diffrent cans ..

Not to be rude or anything if you didnt find this you need to look alittle harder.

SpartanNoob said:
hey what are LAYERS? i didnt find this in the stickies and how many gallons sould i buy i mean theres so manny diffrent cans ..
Layers (or coats) of resin.

hope that helps :D

I would (and did) buy the resin in quarts. Resin only has a one year shelf life, so if you don't use it all, you wasted a lot more than if you waste a quart. Plus you can always buy more resin if you need it.

I bought a whole gallon for...$30 bucks I believe at AutoZone. I still have maybe 1/8 left over. I did 2 coats outside, 1 inside and am 5'6.

Hope that helps too.

As that is very true, i cant drive yet so more trips for my mom to do in a list of things.

dont want to make new thread but is super glue good to use to assemble?

ouch!!! it hurts to get on your hands! Is there another way besides super glue ad a hot glue gun? My mom wont let me use hot glue with out her and she wont want to always do it with me. I might just use a pair of garden gloves with super glue then switch to hot glue.

Vexona said:
I bought a whole gallon for...$30 bucks I believe at AutoZone. I still have maybe 1/8 left over. I did 2 coats outside, 1 inside and am 5'6.

Hope that helps too.

and it does! I will get to do 2 on out and some more on inside. wee!

ps sorry for the double post.

If you use 2 layers of resin outside, 1 layer inside, 1 layer of fiberglass inside, and resin over the glass inside, you will need 2 sheets of 33 to cover every piece inside, and 2 quarts of resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back