Sarah Palmer foam build - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helica

Hey 405th!

I'm kinda nervous posting this here, because that means I'm putting myself out there in front of the firing squad. But I've come to know you as an amicable bunch, so I guess there is no more hiding! I'm currently working on a Sarah Palmer foam build.

Halo armor has always been one of those things I thought really creative people did and I never counted myself as one. But, after some deliberation I've decided that I should just go for it and do it. As a famous Jedi Master used to say: Do or do not, there is no try. So here I am! I've been lurking around this forum for a short time getting some great pointers on how to approach this build and I would like to thank you all for that. I will attempt to create a custom under suit later on, but my sewing skills are not the ones I'm worried about, so I'm saving that for last.

A little heads up: I'm fickle. That means that I might be working on half a shin piece and when the half is done, I go paint it to see what it looks like and after painting I might start working on the arm braces. I will try to finish the pieces one by one, but my brain cannot be stopped sometimes. Sorry if that makes it confusing.

Now, on with the build! Aside from online and in game reference material I will be using this little lady as my reference buddy:
51.jpg

Welcome out of the shadows, Costuming is an Art....that we all know from children...unless you a child who never visited a realm called day dream... anyhow i will be following your post as i'd love to see more

congrats i was one of the shadow dwellers for a long while till recently and have only gotten good and helpful comments since stepping forward. I cant wait to see Ms. Palmer since i see her as an intriguing new character in the universe.

This looks interesting, I can't wait to see how you go about getting all those details right with the paint.

Thanks for the love guys :D
I was kinda thinking about the paint. I'm using 2 and 5mm foam for the detailing, but the armor itself is really bland in color. Only two colors for the metal, the aluminum silver that covers most of the surface and the anthracite silver for some minor parts, and the logos/details in red. So I was thinking about adding dirt and battle damage to make it more interesting. That should do the trick. Progress update pictures will follow soon!

make it and make it now ^^ lol i cant wait to see pics i think palmer is one of the badest women ever definatly want to see how you do it.

Now if only bland in color meant easy to get the desired paint effects! Nice reference photo though, captures the various tones very well.

Have you been able to find all of the files necessary? Looking forward to progress pics!

There's probably a reason the new spartans' armor always looks clean. Since they're attached to Infinity, they're not out in the fight for weeks/months on end like Master Chief was. They have a chance to go out, complete a mission, then come back to Infinity, where their armor is taken off, repaired and cleaned for the next mission. While battle damage and grime add depth to any armor project, I'm not sure it's warranted here. But, it's your armor, and therefore, your choice.

Personally, I think the simple color scheme of Sarah's armor is appealing.

Now if only bland in color meant easy to get the desired paint effects! Nice reference photo though, captures the various tones very well.

Have you been able to find all of the files necessary? Looking forward to progress pics!

I haven't been able to find any (pep) files for Palmer, so I'm drawing it all by hand. Probably why it's taking me a tad bit long to make all the pieces fit lol. But! Tomorrow there will be a progress update, as my first shin piece is drying overnight right now.

I am really looking forward to seeing the armor. Did you by chance consider using the scout armor as a base and modifing it? Because her armor is a scout verient. Just wondering tho.

You know, I have considered that, but I couldn't find any pep files for the scout either. Apart from the helmet that is. Do you know where I can find them, that would make things a lot easier.

You know, I have considered that, but I couldn't find any pep files for the scout either. Apart from the helmet that is. Do you know where I can find them, that would make things a lot easier.

Not sure but will defenently help look. If anyone else knows please let us know was well.

Ok, update time as promised! Today I haven't been able to do as much as I would have liked due to the weather being a twat and all (read: melting me).
Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, I made them with my phone and the lighting is off. The one with the overview shows the right color of the paint job.

IMG_20130719_213741_zps9f72e3d8.jpg

I just noticed the weird pose Palmer is making in this picture, haha!

IMG_20130719_213819_zps9e24a700.jpg

This is the piece that goes inbetween the two shin pieces in the front of the leg.

IMG_20130719_213913_zps47377cb8.jpg

These are the hand pieces. I'm happy with the centre hand piece, but not too sure about the finger parts. I might change them to vinyl/faux leather in the end for movability.

IMG_20130719_213921_zps65570c97.jpg

And the side of the shin parts! The other part is currently still drying, I screwed up the paint job.
As you might be able to tell from the pictures, I'm going with at least a little dirt because I think it adds depth to the costume. I like to think my Palmer just came back from fighting through one of the Requiem deserts. ;)
Let me know what you think and whether there is anyway I can improve!

Welcome to the light, and welcome to the league of Scout Builders I have just started my helmet for my armor and I'm going to be making custom not exclusively all Scout Parts. Good Luck.

I look forward to watching your build. How long did it take you to get to this point?

It took me about a week. That includes drawing the pattern by hand, painting, procrastinating and suffering from the heat :p I think if I really focused on it, it would have taken me less time.

Welcome to the light, and welcome to the league of Scout Builders I have just started my helmet for my armor and I'm going to be making custom not exclusively all Scout Parts. Good Luck.

Thank you and good luck to you! What kind of helmet are you making? By which I mean: are you making a scout helmet or a different kind?

Short update: I started working on the arm pieces now that my shin/calf pieces are painted, but I ran out of 2 and 5mm foam. Updates might be a little slow until I have the time to shop for foam, but I will try to show pics for some of the unfinished pieces as well.

Palmer's armor looks cool. Functional not bulky. Great job on making the patterns by hand and painting. I personally like the color combination. The black undersuit breaks it up nicely. Watching for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back