Savvytanks Odst

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavvyTank

Now that classes are over for the semester i can do more with my armor.

im trying to make not 1 but 2 sets of ODST. one for me and one for a friend. he is a wood worker so hes making the wepons and im doing the armor. we are doing a combanation of the Weta and Bungie concept art. so some i am going to have to make from scratch. im not looking forward to it but it should be fun.

this is the first helm iv got about 1/2 an inch of resen and glass on some parts. im making it this tough so that way i know that it will stand up to the abous that we will end up puting on it.

[attachment=9573:l_8dcdd8...220a8dd9.jpg]

[attachment=9576:m_69136c...1f49dbf4.jpg]

[attachment=9575:m_cbb52a...3b779812.jpg]

[attachment=9574:m_4a094a...3b015561.jpg]

[attachment=9577:m_2a71cb...70be6eb7.jpg]

[attachment=9578:m_492777...8f99205a.jpg]

[attachment=9579:m_f49beb...1f9cb68b.jpg]

[attachment=9580:m_66032b...953faf8e.jpg]

[attachment=9581:m_ce5c37...adf6b643.jpg]

box o crayons said:
its looking good and are you going to make two helmets with resin and bondo or mold that one

Im going to make the both out of resen and fiberglass. sofar im not useing bondo cus its softer than the resen. i know this will take some time to do but it should be cheeper than casting one and making them that way. luckaly me and my friend are the same size so i dont have the wory about making 2 diferent sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea you should use bondo though its really strong as long as it has a good sturdy base backing it up thats the only thing it will take on the propertys of the resin almost trust me those helmets can take hell

it seems my camera takes to large of pics to put more than 4 up at a time. so ill have to do some rearranging and compressing to pet the next batch up.

some ODST pics just came out from bungie so im going to see if i can make any easy changes to the armor to make it look more like the game. from what i can see the only thing that i might want to change is adding a maglight to the helm of my friends and a entente to mine, i dont know yet ill have to talk to him and see if he wants a mod or not. also might try to make the shoulders i think they look cool.

im looking into the visor and was wondering if i could use plexy glass for vacuum molding. anuther option is casting them but the only stuff that looks like it would work for it in town is 22$ a can and its not that big of a can. might get 3 cast out of it. with casting it tho i might be able to add a die for the coloring, but i have no experience making a mold.

i got the second helm almost peped and got 3 good gantlets peped both backs cut but not glued one sholder but i think im going to remake it because it warped when i resened it (was trying to see if i could save time... cant) so ill need to make some more.

the BRs are comeing along nicely. got part of them cut out and my friend is working on them. i tryed to see if i could make large casts out of resen on the BRs to see if it would work for the visors and it failed. turns out resen shrinks when it curs so i have a bow in the shape of half a BR. but it dose work on small things, so im useing for filler on the helms. i also found a beral for a sniper and have started working on it. i got the basic shape cut out and im handing it over to my wood woking friend to do some work on.

got to looking at some consepet art of halo wars for a reference for a hip holster for a pistol. if i do make it it will be out of black leather, but this is low on the list of things to get done, especially since the game is coming out a month sooner than we thought, so we have practically lost a month.

im going to be gone for a couple of days and might not get to work on anything till tuesday. when i do i will hopefully get the first helm done since i have about 85% of the sculpting done.

this weekend turndout to not be a total lose. i got the chest/back put together and have started to resen it along with a gantlet. got a hip plate almost done. and i found a baseball helm that i think i can use the padding for the inside of my helmet for about 18$.

iv been asking around about plastics for the visor and have gotten nothing so i think i might have to order some. some one did say that they thought that plexiglass might work and that i should try heating it up to 200F and slowly try hotter to see if it can work (if anyone can tell me i can vacuum mold plexiglass i will love you). found some padding for the body armor at a hobby shop.

oh ya i found nightshads sholders and im going to use his plans. i think that they look more like what im going for with my suit.

ill get some pics up tomarrow of the chest after i glass it.

started glassing some stuff and played around with some bondo.

got it resened and will be glassing right after its dry

[attachment=9759:back.jpg]

bondoed this ball to make a plasma nade. doing this made me use some on my helm to get the last parts done. i think i was useing the bondo wrong the first time i used it and thats why it came out bad.

[attachment=9760:plasma_nade.jpg]

you can see how little bondo im useing to get it smooth on top. the resen shows through in some plases.

[attachment=9761:some_fin...moothing.jpg]

these are what i was going to use a ammo for my trebuchet. i was going to fil them with lead to make them heavy so they would go farther. because a football filed just isint far enough. but now im going to turn some into plasma nades.

[attachment=9762:more_nades.jpg]

Shaymin Sky said:
GOOD idea to use tennis balls as plasma grenades. Definitely alot easier than pepping.

the only thing is that they crack easily as i found out when one fell off the table. so i think that i might see about molding some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great! I do some finish work after I resin and fiberglass and I can see how you can get away without bondo.

dint realize how much i had put into the first helm till i peped the second.

100_1939.jpg

100_1940.jpg

heres my sniper that im working on. the long shot scope looks like a good size to work with so im just going to mod it to look more "Halo"

100_1916.jpg

im going to carv out the detail

100_1918.jpg

Yeah! You managed to get pictures up. Knew you could do it.
Helmet is looking really nice and I can't wait to see how the sniper turns out. I want to make one myself eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back