Scaling/pepakura Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwitchBoxx

I'm using ROBOGENISIS' pepakura files to build a Mark VI outfit. I did the left forearm piece but I came across an issue. The hole for the wrist was too small and I couldn't fit my hand through it. I cut the whole slightly bigger and got it on, but then the hole near my elbow looks massive. I don't know if it's suppose to look that weird (I don't think it is), I don't know if I did something wrong, or if I should just use somebody else's pep files. Suggestions?

Here's a few pictures to kind of show what I mean:

Hehe, well the wrist thing is right, that way you can scale your wrist size to it, so any wrist can fit. and it is supposed to be bigger but it looks like it may be too big,*goes and looks at poster* the point at the top of the forearm piece should end at your elbow, and it looks like yours extends a little farther. You may want to scale it a little smaller.

Jay123way said:
Hehe, well the wrist thing is right, that way you can scale your wrist size to it, so any wrist can fit. and it is supposed to be bigger but it looks like it may be too big,*goes and looks at poster* the point at the top of the forearm piece should end at your elbow, and it looks like yours extends a little farther. You may want to scale it a little smaller.

Kay cause I also did a chest piece that I couldn't fit my head or shoulders into. It's originally at 84 inches, so I put it to 64 (I'm 63, then an inch for room). It should fit around, but I can't just slide it on.

That left forearm piece I put to 66 inches. So I guess maybe 65 inches would be best?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im having issues with alot of Robo's peps too man so your not alone! I just had to keep trying and guessing and eventually am getting things right. I have not made the forearms yet or I would give you my measurements. *sad face*

Yeah. I wish there was a chart that would just put everything into order so you didn't have to guess.

I like the work, I just wish I knew what size to put it at. I guess I'll reprint it at 64 or 65 inches (instead of 66) and glue it together again.

It looks as if you have pretty slim arms too. I DO have a forearm file that was modeled for a more feminine build. Not sure if you would really want that, but I know I didn't like the big open space that was around my forearm either when I first built the model you currently have. There is a link in my sig to the thread I made. If you want, you can take a look at and just decide which route you wanna go. :)

HaloGoddess said:
It looks as if you have pretty slim arms too. I DO have a forearm file that was modeled for a more feminine build. Not sure if you would really want that, but I know I didn't like the big open space that was around my forearm either when I first built the model you currently have. There is a link in my sig to the thread I made. If you want, you can take a look at and just decide which route you wanna go. :)

I am a chick and I kind of have a guys body build, but I think the forearms you made might work better for me lol I have some pretty skinny arms. After looking at the pieces you have, I gotta say I like how they look :D I may have to try using them. Thank you!

Perhaps a motocross pressure suit will bulk up some of your arm so it wont be so roomy inside of the forearm. Thats what I plan on doing, if theres still open space after that I'll just pad up the inside till its snug.

You are experiencing what a lot of people have trouble with. Firstly, I would go buy a ruler or L-shaped ruler that has mm or cm on one side. I find that actually measuring my body and comparing that to the pep dimensions helps get the parts to fit better. For example, I have built the Right HD forearm 3 times before I started this method. Look at the dimensions in pep (bottom right corner) and find the longest point (this is for the forearm), it should be somewhere in the 330 mm range. Now measure your forearm from just past the wrist bone to the tip of your elbow. Change your scale in pep designer to match this new length and give that a shot. I personally have very long, slender forearms, so I could have used Halogoddess file, but instead I cut a slit on the inner (less detailed) part of the forearm, and cut out a chunk so that the elbow area fits more snug.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Just wanted to give a quick thanks to everybody. I haven't been on this site much but I've already noticed how helpful everybody is and after looking through the links and what McPrimus says I am going to measure my arm first and adjust the scale that way. Thank you!

I'm going to spend today to put a new one together and I'll be sure to put either today or tomorrow how it went with hopefully a much better result and pictures :D

With the pep frame only being made of cardstock, there is no reason you cannot just add additional strips of card to your build to adjust the size of the piece. Once the bondo covers the piece, you will never see that adjustment. It should make for a better custom fitting.

Okay so I made a new left forearm piece but it looks too short.

I then made my own adjustments to the first piece and I think that one looks a lot better overall.

This is the new one I made:

[attachment=16057:new_left_forearm.JPG]

And this is the old one with adjustments made:

[attachment=16058:adj_left_forearm.JPG]

The second does look better. Just a note, you might want to wear the forearm a little higher up, so that the wrist opening is actually on the elbow side of your wrist bone by about 1/2 an inch. this will give you a lot more wrist movement in costume and give you seperation from the handplates. Just my opinion, but they look great.

McPrimus said:
The second does look better. Just a note, you might want to wear the forearm a little higher up, so that the wrist opening is actually on the elbow side of your wrist bone by about 1/2 an inch. this will give you a lot more wrist movement in costume and give you seperation from the handplates. Just my opinion, but they look great.

Yeah, since I don't have any under armor to keep the armor in place it kind of slid down on me lol But I agree, with it up slightly higher there's more wrist movement. Thanks for the opinion. It really does help out a lot since I haven't done this before :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back