Sealgair's road to Recon WIP *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealgair

Alright...i finally started building an armor myself. Thanks to everyone on this forum for giving so much info and inspiration.

I originally intended to build a MkVI armor but changed my mind about two days ago and postponed that project. I decided on building a Recon from Halo3 instead i think it is a mighty cool piece of armor :)

So, after pepping several different pieces i managed to scale the pieces right and printed as well as pepped the first few parts.

What i do have atm is both handplates, the right forearm and also the helmet.

Let me know what you guys think so far and thanks in advance for your comments! :)

Reconhelmet.jpg

The helmet. I find it pretty easy to pep. Might be one of the easier helmets around.

handplates.jpg

Yeah well, that's what i started off with, thought i would be better to do sth simple at the beginning ;)

forearmupright.jpg

The right forearm. This is an interesting piece actually, cause i can't fit my hand through the opening. The rest concerning length and volume is perfect. The idea is to do all the work up to the pre-bondo stage and then cut out a part that could be hinged.

Ah yeah. The first update already. I noticed the helmet being too small. I like a snug fit on helmets though, so i rescaled it. I finished printing it, almost done folding, so i might finish it tonight (CET ;))

Here's a list with the files i'm using:

Smoothened Recon Helmet Version 2 by Belakor, smoothening by Macattack
MkVI handplates by Robogenisis unfolded by Ral Partha
MkVI HD forearms by Nugget unfolding again by Ral Partha
MkVI HD chest by FlyingSquirrel
HD Recon Chest by L3X
MkVI HD codpiece by crackhead09
MkVI HD shoulders/bicep v.2 by Robogenisis unfolded by Ral Partha
Recon Shoulders by Belakor
MkVI modified shin by Nickt
MkVI HD thighs by crackhead09

Very cool files dudes, thank you! :)

Very neat and clean pep work. :p

Thank you very much! :)

I wasn't able to finish the rescaled helmet but here's a pic from yesterdays start-off.

helmetinprocess.jpg

As you can see, i start from the dome. I think it's way easier to do it that way and work down to the opening for the head.

I finished pepping the second and resized helmet. Unfortunately, i won't be able to make any progress until next weekend due to work.

ReconHelm.jpg

You can see a small part of the first helmet i pepped in the picture on the right. Sorry for the poor quality.

Hal(l)o!
Great start. Will you use the Mark VI handplates with your recon? The one I finished for my Mark VI looks similar refering to font sizing, so maybe they are a little too big, just like mine. :)

Anyways, if you're not going to use them on your armor, maybe you want to keep them for testing resining/fiberglassing and bondo on them, if you have no practice in these terms. Just like me.

However, wish you good luck on your build and fun during the process!

Tschüss, bis demnächst.

Thanks man. I actually intended to use the MkVi handplates on the recon as it is an Halo3 permutation. I got a reference pic showing those on a recon clad spartan, i guess its on the Multiplayer CD of the ODST game pack.

And yeah, they are big, but they are supposed to be that way, they are just 1 or 1,5 cm too long :) they look way bigger in the pic i know ;) I'm gonna see how they look on gloves, if they are still too big, i'm gonna go your way and use them for testing of resining/fibreglassing and all that ;)

That Is a very clean recon pep, I'm not sure if it's the file, or it is just a difficult pep, but most recons seem a bit warped, that looks dead on straight to me. had to stop by to return the favor of complimenting the build. haha

Pepping is really clean, you can see that if you take a look at the handplates! Keep up the good work!
Just a question, are you mixing Recon und Mk VI parts?
I don't know the Recon armor by hard ^^

Thanks man, i'll go on like that ;)

Dude you got me doubting my picture of the recon now :D

I consider the recon being a permutation of the halo 3 recon. That means some parts of the original MkVI are being altered right? So, i guess what i'm keeping from the original MkVI will be boots, shins, thighs, "diaper" i'm missing the english word right now :), forearms and handplates plus the chest piece. The recon chestpiece is to be mounted on top of the MkVI chest. The shoulder pieces base on the MkVi ones but the upper part is different and made up of the recon ones. Please correct me if i'm wrong! Maybe i got you wrong dude, but when you say mixing i assume i got some pieces wrong :) say it in german if we're missing each other on that one :D

Großes Werk!!!!!!! (I think that's right.....I really don't speak much German any more) LOL ;)
Looking real good so far with what you have.
Nice Clean pep work. Keep it up!!!
And I'd say if you want to use those hand plates, use them. You took the time to make them look gorgeous, so you might as well use them. I don't know anything about the games armor variants other than the pics I've seen and my son's toys, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end when you have your suit built. :cool

Großes Werk!!!!!!! (I think that's right.....I really don't speak much German any more) LOL ;)
Looking real good so far with what you have.
Nice Clean pep work. Keep it up!!!
And I'd say if you want to use those hand plates, use them. You took the time to make them look gorgeous, so you might as well use them. I don't know anything about the games armor variants other than the pics I've seen and my son's toys, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end when you have your suit built. :cool

Thanks man, comment is appreciated. Serious props for still having some german left after all that time! I guess i'll be using those handplates. Don't know how exactly they will turn out though. Next steps will be the shoulder parts.

gute Arbeit geleistet. es ist wirklich schön. i think thats right. not entirely sure. my gf is german so i pick up bits and pieces

Oh thanks very much my american friend! :)

An update will follow this weekend! Stay tuned guys.

nice :D

sehr gute arbeit und exaktes model. hatte auch schon mehrere versuche mich an recon ran zuwagen, aber leider ohne großen erfolg. habe nach langer suche eine sehr einfache pep-datei gefunden, die ich für meinen odst nehmen werde ;)

mach weiter so :)

Alright alright, it's been a while since i played Halo 3.
I wasn't sure what a recon is supposed to look. I looked it up now and everything's clear now.
At first i was thinking you were going make an ODST armor ^^
But as you said it's a permutation of the Mk VI armor.

Thanks for the comments guys, they are appreciated.

I'll provide you with an update on the shoulders as promised. I put together several files looking for the outcome. This won't be what i'll be wearing in the end. It is just a dummy i'm working on.
What i did was, i pepped the right rearbrace of the MkVI armor by Robogenisis plus i pepped the Recon shoulder by Belakor and simply glued them together to have an idea of how it could look like.
I had to take away the middle part that protects the side of your arm including deltoid muscles and replaced it with the one from the Recon shoulder file. You can hopefully see it in the pics.

I'm guessing this will take more time than expected, because the armor plate comes very bulky and in some places already starts bending inside. I might try to fill those with styrene or foam before i start glassing them.

I'm open for any suggestions, though i'll continue working on those because i'm far from being happy with them :) hints and tips are very much appreciated.

I reckon i'll be making the top piece a kind of flap and not attach it at all to the upper arm armor.

rightshoulderside.jpg

rightshoulderrear.jpg

rightshoulderfront.jpg

Update: I just crosschecked Halo 3 Forge and did some screenshots with the Recon Armor on (thanks for the gift Bungie) and noticed the shoulder piece being too big again. This really is a challenge to scale even when using the same scale factor as the helmet (which fits nicely).
So, i gonna redo those parts and see how its going together, gotta redo the right forearm too :) lots of work to be done. I'll keep you updated.

Alright guys and gals, i haven't been too productive over the last ten days (due to work) except for pepping my rescaled forearms and the handplates. You can see the right hand ones in the pics below. I'll be doing the shoulder parts next weekend hopefully. Very slow progress :(

PICT0265.jpg

PICT0264.jpg

Hi guys. It's been a while since my last post. So what i did in the meantime was completing the rescaled right and left shoulder as well as printing the cod piece. I made a pic of what i got so far. I furthermore applied some card board to strengthen the inner visor area of the helmet and therefore hope to evade warping in the glassing stage which follows from next week on.
Originally planning on making the chest piece next i discovered i was running out of decent paper and just having a few pages left, i decided on printing the cod piece instead. I also started peppping that but there is no real progress yet. I'm gonna get more paper next week and also any fibreglassing supplies so i might start the glassing phase mid-week i hope. Might be the weekend though :D

PICT0289.jpg

Alright, that's it for this week i'm afraid because i got pretty much work to do and i'm gonna go to a place called Hockenheim in Germany on early Thursday to attend the Formula 1 Grand Prix inlcuding practices. I'm really looking forward to that :)

Sup everyone? Time for an update. I finished pepping the codpiece.

codpiece.jpg

My resin, fiberglass and bondo supplies have arrived :D now i can start on getting serious on that armor folks. Hell yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back