Sealing and Paints

Marcus

How much better is plasti-dip vs using wood glue or elmer glue to seal the foam?

and what paint should I use? Spray paint? Any Brand, or is there only one brand that behaves with the sealant?

Primer or no primer, and do I need a special one?
Thanks

I used plastidip and kwik seal on this, then used Tamiya rattle cans straight on that. Haven't had any issues, save for friction rubbing off some from wear

Attachments

• befunky_2023-8-6_15-13-35.jpg
    befunky_2023-8-6_15-13-35.jpg
    713.9 KB · Views: 58
How much better is plasti-dip vs using wood glue or elmer glue to seal the foam?

and what paint should I use? Spray paint? Any Brand, or is there only one brand that behaves with the sealant?

Primer or no primer, and do I need a special one?
Thanks
I would say Plastidip is substantially better than wood glue. Wood glue would tend to crack under the paint when the foam flexed. Plastidip on the other hand would at worst wrinkle a little bit.

If you have a tight budget wood glue works fine, but Plastidip will give you a much better result.

Plasti dip has never given me trouble. For the $10-20 a can, it’s definitely worth spending a little extra on Plasti dip to save yourself the trouble of using glue, even on a tight budget. 3 cans of the stuff is enough to cover an entire suit, so it Plasti-dipping a whole suit shouldn’t cost that much anyways

Edit: also, see this post on my build thread for some anecdotes about what paint I use
N8TEBB's Mk 7 Build!!!!!

Last edited:
If you want an alternative to plastic dip, consider Flexbond. It's a brush on product similar in look and consistency to Modpodge. I like to thin it down for a smoother application.
My choice of paint for my last two projects was believe or not, Vallejo model paints through an airbrush.

If you want an alternative to plastic dip, consider Flexbond. It's a brush on product similar in look and consistency to Modpodge. I like to thin it down for a smoother application.
My choice of paint for my last two projects was believe or not, Vallejo model paints through an airbrush.
+1 for Flexbond, I've used it on foam, rubber and even 3D-printed TPU. Seems to be pretty tough.

Don't forget to seal the foam first with a hot-air gun though.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back