Selecting a 3D printer with good print quality for halo armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RUST

Hello beautiful people of the 405th! It’s been a while, and I hope you all have been having an incredible Holiday season and New Years. I’ve been super interested in getting into 3D printing as of late, and would really like to invest in a good 3D printer that could help me with future armor and props from Halo 3, ODST, Reach etc. I’ve seen good things about Prusa I3 Mk3S (really good quality, but smaller print capacity) and the Creality CR-10s (affordable with bigger print capacity but much lower resolution) but am really unsure what to go with :/. What do you guys recommend? I am super new to 3D printing, but am a quick learner and don’t mind more of a challenge If the end results will look better on my armor. Thanks a bunch!

I use a CR-10S5 which has half a cubic meter of printing space. The CR-10 is a good option for beginner printers like me because after setting it up, it's pretty easy to use and maintain. The quality of the prints are really good too, as long as it is regularly maintained. I didn't maintain my printer and half my armor isn't as clean as I would like it. High quality prints are beneficial, but the armor is going to get slathered in bondo, paint, and protective enamel too if you wanna go the extra mile. With that in mind, CR-10's and Enders are the way to go if you want to print armor. If you decide to get a CR-10, the CR-10S5 is between $700-$1000 (I got mine on sale). The standard CR-10 is like $350, but has a 300mm printing bed. It's nice having all the armor come out as one print, but sometimes, size doesn't matter if it means saving $300-400.

I use a CR-10S5 which has half a cubic meter of printing space. The CR-10 is a good option for beginner printers like me because after setting it up, it's pretty easy to use and maintain. The quality of the prints are really good too, as long as it is regularly maintained. I didn't maintain my printer and half my armor isn't as clean as I would like it. High quality prints are beneficial, but the armor is going to get slathered in bondo, paint, and protective enamel too if you wanna go the extra mile. With that in mind, CR-10's and Enders are the way to go if you want to print armor. If you decide to get a CR-10, the CR-10S5 is between $700-$1000 (I got mine on sale). The standard CR-10 is like $350, but has a 300mm printing bed. It's nice having all the armor come out as one print, but sometimes, size doesn't matter if it means saving $300-400.
Thank you a bunch for your awesome reply! I’ve heard good things about the CR-10s, and am very much thinking about buying one of the 10S5s. Just wanted to make sure there weren’t any better options out there for armor or weapon printing. I don’t mind investing more into it as long as it’s worth the extra cash haha. I also plan on trying to print weapons and such for friends at some point as well.

If you want to print weapons an S5 might be the way to go. The guns from Halo, especially the Covenant weapons, super chunky and have a lot of length as well, so an S5 would decrease the individual pieces you need to print. You should also look into tree branch supports. Those will save you a lot of time and money.

Rust! Good to see you posting again my friend! Hey I think a CR-10 is a good choice I currently run a Artillery Sidewinder X1 and it is already set up for direct drive. But Legacy made several good points and really my only advice is price and bed size then go from there.

If you want to print weapons an S5 might be the way to go. The guns from Halo, especially the Covenant weapons, super chunky and have a lot of length as well, so an S5 would decrease the individual pieces you need to print. You should also look into tree branch supports. Those will save you a lot of time and money.
Yeah, if that’s the case I think the case, I think an S5 would be a solid option so I don’t have to print out as many individual pieces for a cleaner build. Hmm, I’ve never heard of a tree branch support. Where would I be able to find some? Thank you again, you’ve been super informative :)

Last edited:
Rust! Good to see you posting again my friend! Hey I think a CR-10 is a good choice I currently run a Artillery Sidewinder X1 and it is already set up for direct drive. But Legacy made several good points and really my only advice is price and bed size then go from there.
Yooo, I really appreciate it Harri :), hope you’ve been well! Its been WAY too long since I’ve talked to my 405th buds. I’m definitely considering the CR-10S5, as I’ve heard really good things from the community (Legacy included), but am unsure about how the print bed is. It sounds like it’s pretty spacious, and has the capability to print some bigger weapons/armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back