Selling Your Armor?

Can I Sell My Armor?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first thread. So I've been needing money for a camcorder, and I was thinking of selling armor that I can make. I know everyone else has done it, but is it legal? Do I have to mod it? If so, in what way? Etc...

Thanks in advance, Alienated Phreak:D

Hello, this is my first thread. So I've been needing money for a camcorder, and I was thinking of selling armor that I can make. I know everyone else has done it, but is it legal? Do I have to mod it? If so, in what way? Etc...

If you can't afford a camcorder, you certainly can't afford to buy materials to make armour.

And no, not everybody else does it.

And yes, it's most likely illegal to make a profit from it, but you'd have to talk to a lawyer about that.

We're not here to make armor to sell. You'll get the hammer for that. We're here to create armor for ourselves and grow as a community.

What "everyone else" does is 'sell' their armor if it's something you've made before and just need to get rid of or extra parts to trade to friends (which is what the classfieds section is for). If you look at the classifieds sections the purpose is to sell to other people in the community for their own suits and the costs are to cover labor, materials, etc, not for a profit.

Producing them specifically sale is different from what is allowed here. Plus, as Venture mentioned, making armour that is good quality is very expensive and if you start selling to just anyone I'd bet good money that you'll lose out financially once a recaster snaps it up anyways.

speaking of the classified section, thats not open to newer members right?
once i've reached a post limit, you "rank up" and can access it, right?

from a legal standpoint of selling and making armor, it's technically illegal to produce items based around an IP without express permission from the IP holders (micro$oft)
but alot of people run by the don't ask don't tell thing rule, it provides you with NO legal protection whatsoever, and it's similar to an ostrich sticking its head in the sand, but its how people get by.

if your planning on making the armor just to sell, then i think this may be the wrong community for you, people here are passionate about halo and the universe, and alot of the armor people make here is very high quality,
in order to sell that that kind of clientèle, you would need to produce some very good items, most of which, someone here who is passionate about the source material, may have already made.
in otherwords, if your here for the community and enjoy halo, that's better than just coming here to make a buck, with no creative passion to build something accurate, rather than something that 'makes money'

Correct, the classifieds section is only available to people who have been around and posted for a bit.

Regarding legality of actually making suits, I'm sure it falls under the similar rules regarding fan art, which is summarized in this nice little wikipedia excerpt:

The legal status of fan made art in America may be tricky due to the vagaries of the United States Copyright Act. Generally, the right to reproduce and display pieces of artwork is controlled by the original author or artist under 17 U.S.C. § 106. However, fan art using settings and characters from a previously created work could be considered a derivative work, which would place control of the copyright with the owner of that original work. Display and distribution of fan art that would be considered a derivative work would be unlawful.

However, American copyright law allows for the production, display and distribution of derivative works if they fall under a fair use exemption, 17 U.S.C. § 107. A court would look at all relevant facts and circumstances to determine whether a particular use qualifies as fair use; a multi-pronged rubric for this decision involves evaluating the amount and substantiality of the original appropriated, the transformative nature of the derivative work, whether the derivative work was done for educational or noncommercial use, and the economic effect that the derivative work imposes on the copyright holder's ability to make and exploit her own derivative works. None of these factors is alone dispositive.

The general rule of thumb is that as long as we're focused on teaching people to create props and presenting the Halo franchise in a positive light, then Microsoft doesn't mind us and in fact they've been rather supportive of us as a whole. We're free publicity for them, just like the 501st is for Lucasfilms. So remember to behave yourselves and keep in mind we're an armor making community, not an armor selling one, and we should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back