Sergeant Johnson build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, BlackPlague here. Gonna be attempting to build the Halo 2 anniversary version of Sargeant Johnson's armor. Now I'm not too familiar with how to access files, so, I've just been using graph paper, a ruler, the accuracy (hopefully it's as good as I think it might be), and foam. I have worked with foam in the past, but after my encounter with it, I never looked towards that war again. Any help if possible with be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Supplies:
Foam (floor matts from lowes)
Xacto Knife
Hot glue
Graph paper
Card stock (traces better on the foam)
Foamies
Plastic Dip
Elmers Glue
Adhesive
A few types of paint.

Armor:
Neck Seal
Chest
-Accessories
~utility pockets
Elbow pads
Forearms
Hand Plates
Utility Belt
-Accessories
~Uitility pocket
Thighs
Shins
Boots

IMG_0283.JPG

I was able to get a few more reference photos to help with the chest armor.
It took about 1 1/2 days to complete the base look of it. I'll upload photos of the Chest and the neck part tomorrow, due to me being super tired and it's 3:39 a.m.

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.PNG

IMG_0290.PNG

IMG_0291.PNG

Welcome to the 405th.
Out of curiosity, what were your issues with foam in the past?
As for armour, try looking in the Armoury and see if you can find Foam templates for the Marine.

Reactions: Kat
As for armour, try looking in the Armoury and see if you can find Foam templates for the Marine.

Unfortunately at this time The Armory's files for the Halo 2 Anniversary Marines are all reference OBJs and DDS files, as no one has done a proper unfold of them yet.

However, these can probably be of good use to you, BlackPlague711 in your attempt to scratch build it.
Halo 2 Anniversary - UNSC Marine

Welcome to the 405th.
Out of curiosity, what were your issues with foam in the past?

Most of my issues revolve around gluing the pieces together without having a blob mess of hot glue on the edges. Also getting paint form properly on the foam. I think the foamies will cover up quite abbot of it, luckily. I've also fixed a few other problems I've had in the past.

Ok so this is my chest piece. It's a little banged up with some rough edges. On top of that I'm no photographer.

The chest piece is held together by it four joints. Each joint is already attached to eight straps; four shoulder and four waist. I'm using a thin bar (plastic sticks of cu-tips) to join the puzzle like pieces together. The chest is very snug on me which I find the best fit. A previous design on one side of the waist straps, which was in the middle, required me to bend my arm in a akward position to unattach the Velcro holding them. I modified it to be in the front and hold the strap with clips. Now I need to clean up the build with some foamies.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

Most of my issues revolve around gluing the pieces together without having a blob mess of hot glue on the edges. Also getting paint form properly on the foam. I think the foamies will cover up quite abbot of it, luckily. I've also fixed a few other problems I've had in the past.
I personally was never a fan of hot glue. I would ALWAYS have issues with it cooling down too fast or it just wouldn't hold.
As for paint, do you seal the foam with anything? Since the foam is very porous (did I spell that right?) it soaks up a lot of paint. Plus paint doesn't stick very well to the foam. So putting a layer of PVA glue, modpodge or if you have the funds Plastidip would seal the foam and give the paint something to adhere to.
Your chest armour is looking sweet. Really like your use of buckles.

I just checked prices....I think I'll stick w/ the 9.99 4 pack from Harbor Freight......much cheaper than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back