Shin Sizing Question - Not A Scaling Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubonic Plague

Hi All,

First, I want to thank all of the folks who have contributed the awesome pep files for the Mark VI Armour! I am new to the 405th and to pepakura. I am a new dad and I have a pretty intense job. So progress will be slow. My goal is to build a Mark VI suit along with the MC and CQB helmets by Halloween 2010. I will also build the sniper rifle and the rocket launcher. I will do my best to post pictures for critique/progress throughout the next year.

I have a question about the size and fit of my armour pices, rather than the scaling. I have what I think is a pretty good understanding of how to properly scale my armor. So here's what I am trying to figure out:

I made an HD shin piece as my first piece and I tried it on last night to check my scaling. I am unsure as to whether or not I sized it correctly. Is there a reference point that I can use to see if it is the right size? For instance, should the top of the front of the shin piece be aligned with the top part of my knee (if I palpate the top of my knee cap?) Also, how high above my ankle should the base of the shin piece be?

Does anyone have a suggestion? My next thought is to build the boot this week and to see where the base of the shin lies relative to the top of the boot...any suggestions? Also, should there be empty space between my actual calf muscle and the calf contour on the pep file? I will try to take a picture or two of what I have and post it. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks to all,

Kubonic

P.S. I accidentally posted this on the scaling thread, so I realized I should have put it here...Sorry to the mods.

First welcome to the 405th and thanks for phrasing your question in such a clear and concise way. Most people get on here and post help topics about simple things that can be found by a cursory glance at the stickies and its an eyesore to everyone because they rarely use even close to correct grammar or spelling.

In answer to your question, i believe the piece should extend from about an inch above your shoe and should go higher than the knee. I actually believe that your knee should fit inside the piece. This might be wrong though so i hope someone else posts to confirm or deny it.

Again, welcome to the forums and i hope this helps with your dilemma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back