Should I start over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiel terall

Jr Member
Hey everyone, I put a layer of "mud" on my helmet and now it wont harden. Its been a week, and it still is tacky and can come off. My question is, should I just scrap it and start over? It has a few messed up parts, and the fibre glassing wasn't the greatest, but I have put in alot of time and energy into this helm. Any ways, what do you guys think?

bloodxbrothers said:
i sure hope it doesnt happen to me
i think you can resin over it

But what about when I start to sand? Wouldnt that just remove the resin and Id be left with this>? I think I might just go with a smooth version. saves time and bondo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ti-el_Terall said:
Hey everyone, I put a layer of "mud" on my helmet and now it wont harden. Its been a week, and it still is tacky and can come off. My question is, should I just scrap it and start over? It has a few messed up parts, and the fibre glassing wasn't the greatest, but I have put in alot of time and energy into this helm. Any ways, what do you guys think?

Hmm, I've never used the mix before. It sounds like it would be nice to try and salvage your helmet though. Would a putty knife work to try and separate the mud from the helm (just like scraping it off a bit at a time)? I'm not sure how thoroughly it bonded, but that's the only thing I could imagine off hand.

From what it sounds like, I think sanding would get...hm...smeary and gob up the paper instantly if it's still wet/tacky.

I hope it cleans up somehow. If it doesn't I'm sure you'll have a lot of good experience to make a new helm.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ill just leave it, start a new one, and if it eventually does harden, then I can work on it and ill have a spare :p

I ran into a similar problem. I was mixing bondo and it seemed that no matter how little I mixed, I was only able to use about half of it. So I decided to mix just a little and add only a little hardener. Mistake. Never cured. So I just sanded what could sand off and picked off the rest. Technically, I think if you were to add some hardener, it would cure, but that may be tougher to do than just scraping off the stuff and starting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back