Should this pep be printed? (or Should I clean the mesh even further?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeandrew

Hi, guys! I'm new to this forum, so I’d like to introduce myself.
My name’s Leandro, I’m 21yo and I live in Brazil.
I ended up here about a few months ago, while searching references for iron man suit (that I was modeling back then). That was the first time I heard of Pepakura. After reading a lot about it, both here and on the rpf, I finally decided to register and try making my own model.
So here's the thing: I modeled an iron man helmet, with as few polygons as I could. However, when I open it on pepakura designer and unfold it, I get a quite confusing result.
It's quite different from the unfolds I see when downloading other pep files...

I just wanted the opinion of you guys to see if it’s worth printing or if I should simplify the mesh a little more. As suggested on the thread: "3D Modeling For Pepakura (Basic 3D Knowledge Aquired)" I'm using a 150 degrees threshold and join adjascent edges of 0.5mm.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

pepforum.jpg
[/IMG]

the thing with most of the files are they are hand unfolded not just pressing the unfold button. you need to break it down into easier peices by just practicing with it. also make sure you scale it i dont know how tall you are but for a helmet i think the base scale is around 300mm tall, there are a couple of threads that can help with scaling and also unfolding the files

So here's the thing: I modeled an iron man helmet, with as few polygons as I could. However, when I open it on pepakura designer and unfold it, I get a quite confusing result.
It's quite different from the unfolds I see when downloading other pep files...
It takes more than just clicking the "Unfold" button to have an unfolded pep file. You might want to ask for volunteers to unfold the file for you.

I just wanted the opinion of you guys to see if it’s worth printing or if I should simplify the mesh a little more.
It's kinda hard to see if it's "worth printing" since the model is scaled so small. Try changing its assembled height to 290 mm and the flap width to 4 or 5 mm and post another picture.

BTW, your modeling skills look very good from here.

Thank you for being so helpful guys.
I'm 6'1'' (as suggested I've scalled the model to 300mm. It will fit in about 50 pages)
I'm more relaxed now that you've mentioned that the "unfold" doesn't do all the work. It takes off a bit of the pressure of having to recreate the 3d model.

Thanks for the compliment Ral Partha! If you want to, I can send you a link from my deviantart with the complete model I did (but back then, I just wanted i to look good.. so the mesh is pretty heavy. Now that I decided to really assemble it, I had to re-moldel the helmet, to make it low poly :p)

About the volunteers... I would really appreciate the help. But I'd rather learn how to do it... I mean, I don't want to be the guy that does everything by himself (hence I'm here asking for help), but it would be nice if I could learn the process, instead of having it done for me ;)

Here are some close up captures. I guess the jaw (the orange part) is the trickiest one...

pep2.jpg

pep4-1.jpg

pep3-1.jpg

pep5-1.jpg

make sure that when you are doing this you dont run into two or three pages with one peice look at other unfolds and see how they did theres first 50 pages seems like alot of pages for a helmet like this.

Hi, guys! So... I was trying to get a clean unfold. I thought my problems were over when I found this GREAT video tutorial, from a 405th member.

However, when I tried to do it on my own model, it turned out to have 324 parts!
I'm afraid to be facing a dead end here... I might have to remodel the helmet (again :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, guys! So... I was trying to get a clean unfold. I thought my problems were over when I found this GREAT video tutorial, from a 405th member.

[...]

However, when I tried to do it on my own model, it turned out to have 324 parts!
I'm afraid to be facing a dead end here... I might have to remodel the helmet (again :( )
Any unfolder can easily reduce the number of parts in a pep file. It's just a matter of joining the smaller pieces into bigger ones.

Anyway, I might just take you up on your offer. Send me the link through my PM and let me take a look at it before you remodel it.

I find myself "cleaning up" a lot of pep files recently, not so much they aren't good or anything just, "why is this 1/4 inch part seperated, when it could just be a fold instead of a flap"

Making sure the tabs/flaps don't overlap a actual structure piece is the biggest concern - hitting another flap is ok since generally you won't need 100% of each and every flap to glue them together, but cutting into a "solid" for a flap - is bad. (as seen in one of the close ups)

I typically find a pep file made for base use, then spend a few hours going through each and every part making sure no folds (or at least fewer) do that sorta thing - I also clean up some finer detail parts as they tend to get muddled into a mess that simply cannot be folded/cut in real life with ease.

I really wish I had some 3D modeling experience/programs , I have a lot of 'never done before' stuff I want to pep out. Lol.

Just my $0.02

Ral Partha, all I have now on my DA page is the smoothed model from my previous attempt. As soon as I update it with the low poly, I'll PM you ( thank you very much for keeping interest into my project!)

Kissker, your explanation was superb! I have unfolded once more(this time cleaning even more edges and faces from the actual 3d model) and following your tips, I got a much cleaner unfold. As for your wish to learn a 3d program, try looking at some of "digital tutors" material. I'd really enjoy to see your "never done before" peps coming together! :D

Here's the latest version of my model and unfold. I've ajusted to 26cm. It now has 82 parts divided over 23 pages.

pepnew.jpg

I just noticed with the unfold there is a lot of wasted space. You can move some of those smaller peaces into the gaps and probably shave off 5 or 6 pages.

Yep! Paper is money! Use that empty space! :)

Good job btw, youre learning quickly!

Ral Partha, all I have now on my DA page is the smoothed model from my previous attempt. As soon as I update it with the low poly, I'll PM you ( thank you very much for keeping interest into my project!)
I personally prefer working with HD but having an LD version is good for many members here.

Thanks for the support guys!
Misfitjh and Arioch, I've done what you suggested, and right you were! I've cut down from 23 pages to 18! Saving some money here! :D
Ral Partha, I'll PM you the link.

Well, I guess the pep is as clean as it could get (at least with my current knowledge). I'm about to print it out on a 180 gram paper. I'll use hot glue, as the The Ultimate Pepakura FAQ made very clear its the number one choice (bought a hot glue gun just for that hehe).

Here's the latest screen I've got. Any suggestion before printing? Or should I just go for it?
pep_pages.jpg

Hi guys! After a long time without even touching it(thanks to many college assigments), I could finally finish the pep project... Or at least assemble it. Now, I'll have to look for tons of tutorials on resin and fiberglassing XD

(I know its not perfect, but as it was my first time, and wanted to go throgh all stages, even if they didn't turn out great, in order to learn.).

Foto0426.jpg

Foto0422.jpg

Foto0424.jpg

Ok let me help you out a little here with your unfolding. Before you ever hit the unfold button on the file do you see where the green line is at in this photo that's where my mouse is at on the 3D Model in the Development window. When you have a Green Line there by Left clicking the green will turn to orange and you can continue making the orange lines to create your pattern before you ever hit the unfold button, but you have to watch out for some things if paper wonn't bend in that direction then you have to make a new set of pattern lines for that piece. See photo 1 and 2 for what I mean. Once you have the pattern drawn out in the 3D Model Window then hit the unfold button and you will probably need to clean it up a little more in the 2D Development Window to have a unfolded file that actually looks good without a lot of pieces. Also try changing your fold threshold from 175 or 185 down to 155 for a smoother pepakura file. God I think I need to write a tutorial for how to do this sort of thing but I would probably blow everyones mind here if I did. I know things about pepakura that hardly anyone else knows.

Sorry to high-jack, how does one reset the pep so that you can start from scratch?

also, awesome work on going from model-pep-paper. I probably wouldn't have folded the lines on that front of the face shield, it would be less work to clean up later that way.

I think I need to write a tutorial for how to do this sort of thing but I would probably blow everyones mind here if I did. I know things about pepakura that hardly anyone else knows.

I for one would love to see a tutorial on how you do your unfolding. I don't have the first clue on where to start. It
would help alot man.

Hey awsome helmet dude :D, nice one learning the steps, anyways not sure if im killing the spirit and sorry if i am, well i have a largeish database of pepakura (not mine credit to all makers), and i found a ironman folder with fulll body files, and well i compressed it and heres the link(IF you want)[NO credit to me whoever made it bravo]IRON MAN files----> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B99MHMI3

Yes that would be getting off topic in here. Not sure who's files those are and I'm not up to playing Risk with opening those files the way you are talking in your post. This thread is just for helping someone on files they are working on not posting files you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back