Sizing Jun helmet on Pepakura - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrismLeopard

Hello,

I've started my first project using Pepakura and have run into kind of a problem. I tried using the sizing that was recommended and I got through about 1/8th gluing the thing together before I realized that there was no way my noggin was going to fit the opening. I turned to my middle school math for help but am unsure if it will be correct. I don't want to over calculate and have a huge piece of armor that doesn't fit. So here is what I'm working with:

I was told to measure the height of my head in mm, which I found is about 215 mm and the program automatically put the width as 180 mm. Unfortunately I think the opening to the helmet is about 13 mm in diameter. I did all the math with my circumference of my skull and dividing by 3.14 but I would appreciate some input.

Circumference about 23 inches, but that's with no wiggle room, so about 23.75 inches to be safe. So the diameter is 7.56 inches which is 192 mm. But this is the diameter of my head, not the diameter of the helmet.

Anyone have any input on what I should put in the height or width portion so it will fit? I could be over thinking this but I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you!

You're really not supposed to fit your head through the hole. . everyone kind of has that problem :p
Some people do something called "the back off" (http://www.impactcustoms.com/back-off-mod.html) (try that link its really helpful)
but personally i just didnt have all the pieces glued.
Could you post a pic of the helmet beside your head per say (from angles like front-on and side-on) So i can judge in proportions to my helmet?

I've started my first project using Pepakura and have run into kind of a problem. I tried using the sizing that was recommended and I got through about 1/8th gluing the thing together before I realized that there was no way my noggin was going to fit the opening.

This really depends on the file you're using. Generally speaking, I would try to base the size of your helmet from your head's width rather than height - measure the flat distance across your head, from temple to temple, then add 10mm. Use this measurement as a baseline, perform a test build, and refine if needed. And don't worry about having to do a few tests before you hit the right scale, I've burned through roughly seven Scout helmet files (different models and scales before I found the 'sweet spot'.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer you much more help on suggestions, since I'm a full-grown adult and my head's likely to be a lot larger than yours, but my attempts have generally resided somewhere around the 285mm region for height (and, it's worth mentioning that I do have quite a small head).

You're really not supposed to fit your head through the hole. . everyone kind of has that problem :p
Some people do something called "the back off" (http://www.impactcustoms.com/back-off-mod.html) (try that link its really helpful)
but personally i just didnt have all the pieces glued.
Could you post a pic of the helmet beside your head per say (from angles like front-on and side-on) So i can judge in proportions to my helmet?

Ahh, Thank you for the idea, I get so caught up in following instructions sometimes. This is a kind of method that would work wonderfully. I'll keep this in mind. But I believe the helmet is still small, I will still have to redo it :/

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

This really depends on the file you're using. Generally speaking, I would try to base the size of your helmet from your head's width rather than height - measure the flat distance across your head, from temple to temple, then add 10mm. Use this measurement as a baseline, perform a test build, and refine if needed. And don't worry about having to do a few tests before you hit the right scale, I've burned through roughly seven Scout helmet files (different models and scales[/i] before I found the 'sweet spot'.

Unfortunately, I can't really offer you much more help on suggestions, since I'm a full-grown adult and my head's likely to be a lot larger than yours, but my attempts have generally resided somewhere around the 285mm region for height (and, it's worth mentioning that I do have quite a small head).

Thank you, I'll mess around with the sizing, I have a somewhat large head so I'll probably have to go a little bit larger than that. When I was looking at my calculations, it was saying the height would be around 303 mm. So that may be it.

This really depends on the file you're using. Generally speaking, I would try to base the size of your helmet from your head's width rather than height - measure the flat distance across your head, from temple to temple, then add 10mm. Use this measurement as a baseline, perform a test build, and refine if needed. And don't worry about having to do a few tests before you hit the right scale, I've burned through roughly seven Scout helmet files (different models and scales[/i] before I found the 'sweet spot'.

7 times?! 7 TIMES?!
Oh damn, you have a lot of patience. o.o

Also, 10mm is rather to make the helmet a tight-fit.
Most people I've seen had at least 20mm or even up to 50mm free space in the helmet.

7 times?! 7 TIMES?!
Oh damn, you have a lot of patience. o.o

You don't get anywhere in this hobby without it. Don't even get me started on the numerous other faliures - I think overall I must have built over a hundred different Pepakura-based parts before losing them to various factors such as poor fit, damage or poor construction.

It's all practise in the end. I should be fine with my current Argus project.

Chernobyl said:
Speaking of which and without wanting to derail the post, ive never seen any of your builds.
Considering i'm in need of some motivation (and it would probably also be helpful to our mate here), could you perhaps redirect me to one?
I didnt have much luck finding it in your created threads.

You don't get anywhere in this hobby without it. Don't even get me started on the numerous other faliures - I think overall I must have built over a hundred different Pepakura-based parts before losing them to various factors such as poor fit, damage or poor construction.

Well, here was I almost crying because I had to pep 3-5 times... smaller things... o.o'

Argus project, you say? :3

Speaking of which and without wanting to derail the post, ive never seen any of your builds.
Considering i'm in need of some motivation (and it would probably also be helpful to our mate here), could you perhaps redirect me to one?
I didnt have much luck finding it in your created threads.

The reason I don't have a build thread is because I have no progress I'd be happy with sharing. Perhaps soon I'll put one up, and when I do, you're welcome to follow my progress.

Try making each peace (wrong peace I know! sorry) of cardboard and tape it together so you know the rough size, then do the math.

("IT'S A TRAP!")

DownSheba, I just uploaded the Mk V Scout file I used in my own personal project. It's modelled directly against the Halo: Reach game model, so it's pretty much 100% accurate, and it features the scale I personally used when fabricating the file.

You can find the files in both A4 and Letter format HERE - they should be ready to go, and I hope that they'll serve some use to you, if you decide to use them. Again, good luck with your works, and if you need me for anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've learnt from both observation and experimentation when it comes to scale. The thing I discovered is width is the most important over height. I found somewhere that the best method for finding the best scale measurements is to place a ruler at the base of a door frame and with you head resting against the frame, carefully close the door till it reaches the opposite side of your head. With the ruler in place below the door you can loo directly at the numbers and find the best width for your head.

I have also seen that Back Off method approached in a different manner on my friends Kelly helmet. Though her helmet is 3D printed she separated the lowest area on the back of the helmet and has it rubber banded in place. She can freely take the helmet off and not be hindered by it (thats when she isn't in full costume, you learn quickly you can't raise your shoulders in most armours).

20160712_013328.jpg

Thank you guys! It was a long couple of days but I've only got a few pieces left on the helmet till its ready for the next stage. You have been a big help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back