Sizing + Me = Square Root Of -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haven923

Jr Member
FIRSTLY: The only camera I have is my phone. That's fine and dandy, but the problem is my dad has my cord to upload pictures to my computer and he is over a thousand miles away :eek

I'm relatively new to this as I have only been doing this for several weeks, but I have one BIG problem (two if you count budget :unsure ). I cannot size my armor. The first part of my armor I peped was the Mark VI LoRes. I cut, scored, and glued it only to have it come out so big that I could fit my head, a baseball cap, a mask, my right shoulder, and a small dog (Not really a dog, but everything else). I then resized it using a guide on the forums and it came out fitting, but my ears get smashed every time I put it on. I then made another n00b mistake (besides starting with the helmet): I printed out every upper body piece of armor. I used the method that Fry gave:
Add up your height in inches. There is 12" to a foot. We'll use my hieght for the example. I am 5'11" which equals 71 inches.

Divide that by 86: 71/86 = .82558

Multiply that number times the scale it currently is, 30.342: 30.342*0.82558 = 25.04979

Now in Pepakura, go into 2dPatternWindow and select "Scale Up/Down by specifying value"

Under scale, put in the new scale (for this equazion its 25.04979). Do this for all of your pieces to be symmetrical.

One thing to keep in mind

The size of the scale that is in use before you edit it is from the base of the ground to the top outside of MC's helmet. You don't really want the top of your head to be touching the top of the inside of the helmet if you expect it to fit right. So you may want to add two or three inches to your actual hieght before doing the math. This may help other areas as well, where it could come through a bit tight.
I'm roughly 6', and I added one inch to compensate (for glassing, &c.), then used the same scaling for all of the pieces.

So far, I've only cut/scored/glued the left arm. I'm using the LoRes ROBOGENESIS pep files found on the Halo Costuming Wikia. The handplate came out big enough to almost fit the entire top of my hand in, which upset me until I saw this picture:
Master_Chief_in_Halo_3.png

His handplates are rather big, so I'm going to use the ones I have. My next problem came with the Bicept/Shoulder piece. It came out so big around, that it wouldn't fit close to my arm. I'm 18 and fairly in shape, and the armor is obviously made for a genetically enhanced supersoldier with bulging bicepts. I ended up shortening the bands that go around your arm and changing some of the folds to make it look like it was designed that way, but now the part that actually covers your bicept part of the piece faces slightly inwards towards my body and is big enough to slightly hinder movement when I bring my arm forward. It's still big, but I hope it fits better once I glass/resin it, maybe add some foam, and strap it. The gauntlet came out tight on the wrist, but enormous in the back/elbow. I have a good inch any direction on the back from my arm to the paper. Any suggestions to solve this? This is my first attempt at armor. The only other things I've done are two ARs (One is a flimsy paper pep, and the other is a sturdy, foam-filled one with removable mag and flashlight that I need to resin and bondo and make a display) and one M6D Pistol that needs resin/bondo.

I've never done anything like this, but have fallen in love with it and this community and I plan on making this my new permanent hobby.

Can anybody help me or tell me if the results are actually the right size.

Thanks!!

-Haven

EDIT: One other thing I'm having an issue with is in Pepakura, the H/W/D is all in milimeters, right? Whenever I measure and convert (using different online converter), I always get a number insanely different than the one that the peps have. It always ends up insanely big. Help? :unsure

EDIT2: Maybe somebody could make a chart for general sizings. You know, have height on the x and body type on the y (rail, average, built/more to love, protective padding, &c.). I'm the last person you want to talk to about sizings and I think it would greatly help as a reference for the community here. :lol

Based on your description it sounds like you scaled about right but it may have been better to add 2 or 3 inches to your hieght instead of just one.

For your helmet you may need to trim the sides so your ears go in easier (many people do). What's more important is the space inside: it should not be a tight fit, it's good to assume about an inch of padding will be added. To check the gauntlets and biceps you should put what you've completed on and see if their length compared to your arm matches that of master chief. The thickness issue can be fixed later with foam or padding.

Hope I helped

Scooterkid said:
Based on your description it sounds like you scaled about right but it may have been better to add 2 or 3 inches to your hieght instead of just one.

For your helmet you may need to trim the sides so your ears go in easier (many people do). What's more important is the space inside: it should not be a tight fit, it's good to assume about an inch of padding will be added. To check the gauntlets and biceps you should put what you've completed on and see if their length compared to your arm matches that of master chief. The thickness issue can be fixed later with foam or padding.

Hope I helped

You certain;y did. Thank you, Skooterkid! Anybody else have any resposes? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven923 said:
You certain;y did. Thank you, Skooterkid! Anybody else have any resposes? ;)

Skooterkid is right, scaling arm/leg pieces based on their length rather than width is what I'm doing, and there is a bit of extra room with my arms and legs inside, but hey, who doesn't want to look super jacked?

halo boi said:
thx man u help me alot to with this form

Don't thank me, thank Fry. He gave the formula in another thread that I stumbled upon a week or so ago. He's the true genius!!

Haven923 said:
Don't thank me, thank Fry. He gave the formula in another thread that I stumbled upon a week or so ago. He's the true genius!!

k man i iz new but thx any way i foud ur firlst and i dont know were his iz could u tell him thx for me

Haven923 said:
The gauntlet came out tight on the wrist, but enormous in the back/elbow. I have a good inch any direction on the back from my arm to the paper. Any suggestions to solve this?

Here's what I did to with my forearms.

Unfortunatley I had to scrap both forearms because the hole needed for my hand was way too small, and once I cut out enough to get my hand through, the gauntlets looked like a$$. I added a few centimeters to the height and rebuilt the left one. The extra length looks good and the link above will show you how to take care of the wide part at the back.

BTW just for reference, I'm 6-5 and the build height I used was 35cm.

JoeyCoz said:

Unfortunatley I had to scrap both forearms because the hole needed for my hand was way too small, and once I cut out enough to get my hand through, the gauntlets looked like a$$. I added a few centimeters to the height and rebuilt the left one. The extra length looks good and the link above will show you how to take care of the wide part at the back.

Thank you so much, JoeyCoz. I'm going to try to use your "hinging" method on my forarms. I only have one peped and I just did the mod. It doesn't make it look obviously modded and makes it fit waaaay better!! Again, Thanks!! :lol

EDIT: Halo Boi, you can thank Fry here!!

JoeyCoz said:

i did need to to taht just pull your thumb in to your and twist and shak (could not reist)for the forearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back