Skippin' Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerguy55

I'm in 8th grade (just turned 14) and next year I should be going to high school...but maybe not. I've been given a chance basically skip high school, I would be taking college level classes, at a college, and getting credit for both high school and college. It would be full time, I would never have to set foot inside a high school. There are a few draw backs though, I would be taking college level classes...without ever being in high school...and I would be a 14 year old..in college. I have absolutely no idea if I should do it or not, I have until March 28th to decide, I think I would like it but...Wow! there would be some major changes form middle school...to college. I've talked about it with my parents and they say its up to me...but I'm not exactly sure what I could be getting myself into. If anyone here has done something like this before or has been/is in college please help me out.

Thanks for your help!

Intelligence wise you fit in there I guess, but age wise, you might have problems. All your friends would be like 19-23 years old since they went through highschool. I wouldnt do it myself, unless I get credit for say...a year of college and only have to take 3 years instead of 4.

I have to say it is inevitably your decision, but it depends on your preferences. Would you like to skip out on high school and bypass your old friends, or would you like to go to college and meet new friends with newer ideas and for some, a higher scale on the maturity level.

It also depends on grade levels, and what you see fit. Also, what college would you be going to?

Remember, in College, they are the best years of your life.

this is basically exactly what im doing. unfortunatly, you DO have to take a few highschool only classes. such as english 9 and 10.

http://www.ucas.k12.ut.us/index.html

UCAS is a small building (with only 10 classroms) that is on the college campus, we only have 10, 11, and 12th grade, and 120 students in each grade. UCAS pays for all of my supplies, books, and tuition.

I am currently in math 1010, and i have 30 year olds asking me to tutor them, it is quite odd, you have to be a socialite to be able to fit in.

AoBfrost said:
Intelligence wise you fit in there I guess, but age wise, you might have problems. All your friends would be like 19-23 years old since they went through highschool. I wouldnt do it myself, unless I get credit for say...a year of college and only have to take 3 years instead of 4.
Thanks, yeah there would be a huge age difference in age, but the majority of my friends are around 17-25 so I'm used to being around older people.. I think it's because my neighbors are 17-18 and I've always hung out with them, It is a little weird when they both have jobs and i make friends with the people that they work with, most people seem to be kinda surprised at my age, because i'm pretty big (tall not fat, im like a toothpick...a really tall toothpick lol). I get credit for both college and high school classes, so when i graduate form high school i will have 4 years worth of college credits.
I have to say it is inevitably your decision, but it depends on your preferences. Would you like to skip out on high school and bypass your old friends, or would you like to go to college and meet new friends with newer ideas and for some, a higher scale on the maturity level.

It also depends on grade levels, and what you see fit. Also, what college would you be going to?

Remember, in College, they are the best years of your life.
Well, the people in my school are not exactly what I would call 'mature' and there are only a few that I would really call my friends (I live in SE ohio, not to many people like me here :/). I can choose from 4 different colleges but only one as a freshman and it is...Zane State. I can't make heads or tails of it but maybe you guys can. I'm gonna be asking some of my teachers to see what they know about it, tomorrow.
this is basically exactly what im doing. unfortunately, you DO have to take a few high school only classes. such as English 9 and 10.

http://www.ucas.k12.ut.us/index.html

UCAS is a small building (with only 10 classrooms) that is on the college campus, we only have 10, 11, and 12th grade, and 120 students in each grade. UCAS pays for all of my supplies, books, and tuition.

I am currently in math 1010, and i have 30 year olds asking me to tutor them, it is quite odd, you have to be a socialite to be able to fit in.
You probably know more about it than anyone else if its the same thing. Normally I wouldn't be able to do this until 10th grade but for some reason there going to let me next year. The only school i can go to next year would be the one i linked, its a technical college.

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll try to update when I get some more info about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a collegiate high school?

College teachers, college classes, mixed classes with regular college students?

Graduate with your AA degree when you hit high school.

It is a sweet deal, we had it here in Florida. Called OWC Collegiate High School, I attended, enjoyed it like crazy. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

I was going to say something negative, but I'm doped up on medicine cause I gots the flu.

Im doing the same thing, except im 16. No one really cares what age you are as long as you act cool with those people. High school had nothing for me, i really dont think it has anything for anyone except the expirience and prom.

Do it man. That's four years of your life that you save from learning the same useless facts again and again. a 14 year old can perfectly well handle college-level classes. I know this kid, actually, who when he was 12 he tested out of many of his college classes with flying colors. He just studied real hard for a week or so, took the test, and forgot everything.

I personally am going to be taking a bunch of classes at my community college this summer and the rest of the way through high school, and taking tests to try and get my Gen-Eds out of the way without having to spend time and money on them in college. That way I can concentrate on my major, maybe even have a double major without the colossal workload. in the same way, this will enable you to, during the years of your life that most people would be getting a bachelor's degree, work on a master's, or build up you career.

So the consensus is that you go ahead with this. I think that would be a mistake.

Yes, you may not be challenged that much in High School, but you would learn so much more socially. Basically, how to behave and not to behave as you become an adult. Also, do you really want to skip out on friends old and new? You won't be able to interact with kids at the college socially no matter how 'cool' you act. You probably won't have any time to spend with current friends from the course work you'll have. Plus, I think you'd me missing out on the whole college experience as well.

I'm sure you're more than able to take College courses, but take your time. Go through High School. Get grants and scholarships for doing so well in High School. Then go to College for free and more. Trust me you learn more at High School and College than just the academics.

-Magnum

There is a guy over at the community college where I take a couple of classes thats around your age. I have the up most respect for him. He acts better than most 20 year olds and shows the up most respect to everybody. It's your choice but if I had the chance back in school I would have (I have trade skills but not many book skills) good luck with it (y)

first of all it sounds like you arent really hanging out with the age group that you are in. because of that simple fact, i would do it. Most people here are talking about giving up friends and so forth, but the truth of the matter is, you dont even socialize with them.

go for it..

I've been asked to do these kinda things before. Each time I declined the offer. It's up to you, but for me, I like highschool. I know everyone well (its a small school) even the teachers. College has it's time, and it sounds like you aren't the kinda guy whose gonna stop after 4 years. My freshman year of highschool was one of the most memorable years of my life so far, and theres alot to be learned socially. If your looking at this from an academically conscious point of view, then go for it, but keep in mind, the older kids might not like you (lol they'd probably be jealous anyway). Its ultimately your decision to find out if the benefits outweigh the setbacks. Good luck if you decide to go for it though.

I Say Don't Go Because Going Would Mean Leaving All Your Friends Behind. I Think You Should Go To High School To Stay As A Kid...But Then Again...If You Go You Would End Up Around 18 When You Finish And Most People Your Age Would Just Be Starting High School...So Idk I'm Very Confused ;) ;) ;) ;)

gamerguy55 said:
I'm in 8th grade (just turned 14) and next year I should be going to high school...but maybe not. I've been given a chance basically skip high school, I would be taking college level classes, at a college, and getting credit for both high school and college. It would be full time, I would never have to set foot inside a high school. There are a few draw backs though, I would be taking college level classes...without ever being in high school...and I would be a 14 year old..in college. I have absolutely no idea if I should do it or not, I have until March 28th to decide, I think I would like it but...Wow! there would be some major changes form middle school...to college. I've talked about it with my parents and they say its up to me...but I'm not exactly sure what I could be getting myself into. If anyone here has done something like this before or has been/is in college please help me out.

Thanks for your help!

That's exactly what I did. High school is for losers! :p

I'd say go for it. At first, it may seem really awkward but you'll get used to it. College is much better than normal school. Most classes don't start until nine or ten so you can actually sleep in.

But the choice is yours. Don't listen to the 'You'll leave your friends behind!' crap. Your real friends will stay in touch with you. Mine did. ;)

Thank you all for your help. I still haven't made my decision yet, I've got until the end of March, so I'm going to think it over a little bit more.

You've all been a great help.

Thanks

hmm, if I had this chance, I would go for it, but fill me in a little, how exactly does this work, what must one do to get such an opportunity.

Remember, you only live so long, the more you learn in as little a time as possible, the better.

Ultimately It's your decision. I am 25 now and From experience I would say dont do it....You only live once and highschool is one of the better experiences you can have i.e. "Girlfriends" and fun stuff. Dude you have the rest of your life to grow up... Be a teen while you can. My teen years could have been so much better had I known then what I know now.This is only my opinion of course.
But You need to really think about it. Good luck on your decision.

Alright, this topic has been dead for quite some time now, but I feel bad ending this topic without informing you all of my decision.

I've ultimately decided not to go to the college, for a few reasons:

I've became far too good of friends with far too many people at my school, not just students but teachers too. I don't think I could leave them behind... If I did go I would have no free time at all (or so I would assume) to do anything... that, and I'm lazy and love to procrastinate all the time. ;)

I'm pretty sure that high school won't be too academically difficult to me, which is another big plus because I'll have more time to do/work on things that I like. I had my promotion to high school (yeah, it's kinda dum) on Thursday, so there's no turning back now. I had the highest GPA, for all three years of middle school (4.67 out of 5.00) and I had to write a long draw-out speech about all my years in school... I felt like a tard standing in front of about a thousand people talking about my life, and how school had effected it....

Anyway, I just thought I should let you know. Didn't want to leave ya hangin'. ;)

If anyone has any other comments, suggestions or advice for high school I'd love to hear them.

Mods, you can do what you please with this topic: Let it die, lock it, whatever you feel should be done. If anyone replies to it, I'd like to keep it alive, but if you want it locked, go right ahead.

23Magnum said:
So the consensus is that you go ahead with this. I think that would be a mistake.

Yes, you may not be challenged that much in High School, but you would learn so much more socially. Basically, how to behave and not to behave as you become an adult. Also, do you really want to skip out on friends old and new? You won't be able to interact with kids at the college socially no matter how 'cool' you act. You probably won't have any time to spend with current friends from the course work you'll have. Plus, I think you'd me missing out on the whole college experience as well.

I'm sure you're more than able to take College courses, but take your time. Go through High School. Get grants and scholarships for doing so well in High School. Then go to College for free and more. Trust me you learn more at High School and College than just the academics.

-Magnum

My thoughts exactly. In most high schools they even offer college courses to take at the high school that will count as college credits, if you are adamant about furthering your education . It should be a never ending pursuit in all of our lives to know more than we knew the day before. :)

Cheers,
Kensai

Edit: Whoops missed your post before this one GG55. Hope my response still assures your decision.

If you were 16 or 17, yeah, I would understand them offering this opportunity to you, but not to someone who hasn't even entered high school yet, no matter their level of knowledge.

I think you made the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back