Skye's First Suit (H3 MK VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today was all about making sure the helmet would fit me.

After careful consideration and planning i found the spots to cut so i could disconnect it into two parts in the most discreet/functional way possible. It fits! Yay!
I then applied the first two layers of rondo and decided that I'll re-attach the two pieces and cut them apart again after the final stages so that it retains its structure better.
16904601_444336869237594_7938721105344910028_o.jpg

Started the day by organizing my workspace, as it was getting quite cluttered and out of hand...
16938781_445938875744060_5631846609056615537_n.jpg

Then I finished up the inner layers of rondo and began sanding...
16797633_445941825743765_5906779245548360567_o.jpg

tomorrow I'mplanning to begin the bondo process.
It is also worth noting that after the helmet and magnum I've already gone through my first container of resin... that might set me back a little while until i can buy some more, but at least I won't be needing it until i'm done with the helmet and gun.

Build looks like it coming along great, big fan of the H3 MKVI if you couldn't tell. I feel ya on work space getting out of hand. I seem to have that same problem.

Build looks like it coming along great, big fan of the H3 MKVI if you couldn't tell. I feel ya on work space getting out of hand. I seem to have that same problem.
thanks! I too love the H3 MK VI armour, something about it is so simple yet beautiful. Maybe it's the fact that Red Vs. Blue characters used it, or maybe its the fact that I first got into halo around the time Halo 3 came out... whatever it is, it's stuck as my favourite. Sometimes it seems I have no workspace at all, so when it's dirty it feels extra cluttered. I dream of the day I have my own garage to work in lol.

I love the concept of a 2 part helmet. It save from cutting out any details you've put in to it and it also conceals more of the head if the opening is smaller. My question to you about your location to cut is how are you going to attach the visor if the lower area is detachable? Are you concerned about the force that will be exerted from the visor being attached partially to the helmet?

I love the concept of a 2 part helmet. It save from cutting out any details you've put in to it and it also conceals more of the head if the opening is smaller. My question to you about your location to cut is how are you going to attach the visor if the lower area is detachable? Are you concerned about the force that will be exerted from the visor being attached partially to the helmet?
An idea he could use is, attach the visor the to top part of the helmet and then use rare earth magnets to attach the lower part.

An idea he could use is, attach the visor the to top part of the helmet and then use rare earth magnets to attach the lower part.
Thats actually exactly what my plan was! I guess since someone else thought of it too it must be a good one!

As it is an odd place to do it the reason i decided this way was because it will result in the least visible seam, and also ends up looking pretty badass when you put it on and take it off.

Since I'm trying to keep this updated more frequently I figured I'd let you all know that I'm gonna be away from home for the next two days meaning I wont make any updates until saturday night or sunday, I didn't do much today but i worked on cleaning up the helmet a little in preperation for the bondo stage and also watched some videos to refresh my memory on how it's done.

This model was designed (by me and SirPalesAlot) with removable sections at the bottom jaw-bone area intended for hinged connections to the main helmet and held in the closed position with magnets. In the open position they widen the helmet's bottom opening allowing for ears to pass through. They're separate parts in the Pepakura file not meant to be permanently attached on all edges. Just fyi.

This model was designed (by me and SirPalesAlot) with removable sections at the bottom jaw-bone area intended for hinged connections to the main helmet and held in the closed position with magnets. In the open position they widen the helmet's bottom opening allowing for ears to pass through. They're separate parts in the Pepakura file not meant to be permanently attached on all edges. Just fyi.
woah really? I had no idea! I'll definitely divide it along those lines instead! thanks for the help!

In other news I've begun working with bondo, barely started but I'll share pictures tomorrow! stay tuned

okay so here's the progress I've made, sorry it's not much, we got another wave of cold weather and I don't have a garage so I'm stuck working on the porch... I promise i'll make faster progress when it warms up!
( my appologies for the poor lighting, i was too lazy to adjust exposure and absolutely refuse to take a picture in automatic mode. Just photographer problems i guess :p )
16904589_451067428564538_4260954671841635580_o.jpg

17016092_451067431897871_3021717097354411508_o.jpg

Last edited:
It's exciting to see somebody building this. SirPalesAlot has commented to me more than once that it would be nice to see somebody building one of these helmets instead of just seeing hundreds of file downloads. It's looking really great so far!

Even though it's just a coat of primer, the finish and colour look sweet.
It is pretty sweet isn't it? If you're wondering I'm using a primer I picked up at walmart called Krylon Cover Maxx Gray Primer, I'm pretty satisfied with it! and It wasn't very pricey either

It's exciting to see somebody building this. SirPalesAlot has commented to me more than once that it would be nice to see somebody building one of these helmets instead of just seeing hundreds of file downloads. It's looking really great so far!
I love this helmet, Very satisfied with the quality and accuracy of the model. It wasn't very difficult to assemble either which is also nice. You guy's did a really great job getting this ready for people to build, I hope to see more people using your files and not just downloading them!

Looking good so far! Yeah, I have wanted to see someone tackle this thing for a while now. Most people have moved on to the newer game model variants, and the H3 MK VI doesn't get as much love anymore. I'm also glad you feel that the build difficulty wasn't too high. Increasing the face count of the models does make things a little more complex, and I was a little concerned about how others would feel about it. I feel that the added face count is totally worth the additional smoothness you get from the Pepakura model. I think that the less body filler work you have to do the better, and from the looks of the first area you didn't need much at all to smooth things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back