Skye's First Suit (H3 MK VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good so far! Yeah, I have wanted to see someone tackle this thing for a while now. Most people have moved on to the newer game model variants, and the H3 MK VI doesn't get as much love anymore. I'm also glad you feel that the build difficulty wasn't too high. Increasing the face count of the models does make things a little more complex, and I was a little concerned about how others would feel about it. I feel that the added face count is totally worth the additional smoothness you get from the Pepakura model. I think that the less body filler work you have to do the better, and from the looks of the first area you didn't need much at all to smooth things out.
You're definitely right about the face count to body-filler ratio, I would much rather take extra time with the pepakura than spend months sanding bondo and resin. I just finished the second frontal lobe and I've only had to use about two tablespoons of bondo in total. Saving me time, money, and bondo! I would definitely vouch for your models over anything else I've worked on (which, granted I haven't worked with many other models, I've seen other people who have)

todays progress as previously mentioned was smoothing the right lobe, It's been raining so I couldn't do anything else, but when the sun comes out I'll continue!
17097933_452912155046732_7186993405985486497_o.jpg

16903227_452912151713399_3316297902303481970_o.jpg

^ haha oops, should've been more specific. Central Virginia, It's a blazing 50 degrees today which is about 15 higher than it's been lately. Managed in a sweater.

Last edited:
So I got a little bit of progress done then made a clumsy mistake and dropped the helmet, chipping a piece of the chin off...
17434775_476373166033964_6714130849230179070_o.jpg

Got to repairing it asap, still a little disappointed in myself though.
17492484_476373159367298_128571540527798667_o.jpg

Heading back out to do some more sanding before finishing up for the day.

The inherent danger of building a Peped helmet......one slip and ....CCCCRRRAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!

Bad news... Helmet doesn't fit. Yes I know I've said this before, and I know I've also said that I could make it fit. But I can't. Last night I split It into sections so that it'd fit over my (annoyingly large) head and realised the critical flaw in sizing. Yes my head fits inside of it once I remove the "ear" caps and neck seal. But no my head does not fit when I attempt to reattach the neck seal. So why don't I go without the neck seal? well... It looks ugly and leaves a large chunk of my head visible. I already have the reprinted-rescaled pages ready, I just don't have a computer with pepakura on it anymore (my laptops broken, borrowing my brothers mac) So I could try rebuilding it now using my already built helmet as a reference. Or I could wait for the ~$300'ish to roll in to fix my laptop... who knows how long that will be.

I've decided to finish up this helmet and use it as a mantle-piece. But yeah. All in all I'm pretty disappointed.

The inherent danger of building a Peped helmet......one slip and ....CCCCRRRAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!
It's funny, you'd think that something you can stand on would be able to take a 2 foot drop, but I guess it's more like a diamond; super strong, super fragile.

Helmet looks great but dang, sorry about the scaling. Well, its a learning experience and yeah, you can still finish this one and it will make one heck of a display piece!

And wait wait wait, you stood on that and it held??

Helmet looks great but dang, sorry about the scaling. Well, its a learning experience and yeah, you can still finish this one and it will make one heck of a display piece!

And wait wait wait, you stood on that and it held??

Yes true, I'm still learning a lot. Even starting to wonder if I should have taken the foam route... I don't know. Going to look into that, It might not be too late to change plans.

And yes, all 135lbs of me + a few in clothing and shoes stood on this helmet for a //solid// (pun intended) 2 seconds. I then hopped off in fear that it would only hold so long. The reason it's so strong is because I wasn't light on the rondo layers, in fact you're looking at a full quart of resin in this thing. :D:D:D (rip my empty bank account)

Yes true, I'm still learning a lot. Even starting to wonder if I should have taken the foam route... I don't know. Going to look into that, It might not be too late to change plans.

And yes, all 135lbs of me + a few in clothing and shoes stood on this helmet for a //solid// (pun intended) 2 seconds. I then hopped off in fear that it would only hold so long. The reason it's so strong is because I wasn't light on the rondo layers, in fact you're looking at a full quart of resin in this thing. :D:D:D (rip my empty bank account)

Shoot, that is a lot of resin. I did about the same with one helmet I made and I'm not going to try to stand on it because it took me a off and on year to make, but good to know there strong I guess!

That helmet model does come with a low-polygon sizing tester that can be pepped in less than an hour for checking size before starting on a real model....

(You can also run Pepakura Designer on a Mac using Wineskin.)

Meh I figured, why waste more time on something that I'll be putting on the mantle in a room I never go in ( I spend 90% of my time in my basement bedroom and the other 10% of the time in the kitchen.)
So I stuck it all together, tossed on my favourite shade of turquoise paint, made a shitty visor, and paint-markered the details. Boom call it what you will, laziness, whatever, I call it "modern art"
And it didn't come out too bad, it's about the quality of something I've seen people wearing around as their costume. Personally I wouldn't wear it though because I'm a little more of a perfectionist than that. To each their own.
17492428_476829832654964_4536517991653929079_o.jpg

17436338_476829835988297_3428226646345934799_o.jpg

Currently deciding whether or not to abandon bondo and restart in foam... either way, I must regrettably put this project on hold ( AGAIN ;-; ) until I get a new source of income, since my ******* boss decided to "evaporate" my last position. (his words, not mine)

That helmet model does come with a low-polygon sizing tester that can be pepped in less than an hour for checking size before starting on a real model....

(You can also run Pepakura Designer on a Mac using Wineskin.)

I'll try that low poly model next time, and yeah I looked into that, but I can't download any programs on my brothers laptop, he's really picky about things that "might get him viruses" (which is every single program in the world except google chrome and itunes pretty much...)

Dude....sorry about your evaporating position.....very weird way to phrase it BTW......but sometimes change is good. Hopefully you find something better than the last one and that the $$$ is better as well.

Dude....sorry about your evaporating position.....very weird way to phrase it BTW......but sometimes change is good. Hopefully you find something better than the last one and that the $$$ is better as well.
I question my old GM's education level, but that's not my business lmao. yeah, last time I checked my position wasn't a liquid. Yeah hoping for a better job, applying to Maaco and Jiffy lube, and put in an app for tropical smoothie last week so we'll see if I luck out with any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back