Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I just ordered foam for three builds: this, a Mumen Rider (from One Punch) and a new Spartan Suit. The inspiration in making this suit, was my parents saw my Mk VI build, said it was super cool and decided they wanted to get into the hobby. So here we are, 4 of us are making skyrim builds! Idk what Phauxelate is building yet, but he's supposed to be building something (tssk tssk tssk). My mother wants to do a nightingale, and my step father is planning on doing a dragon plate/bone set. I'm currently stuck between going with the light or the heavy armor.

There's honestly no real need to post this until after HOD Chicago since I wont' be starting it until after then, but I'm too much of an eager beaver.

Stalhrim_Armor_-_Both.png

StalhrimLA.png

Attachments

• Stalhrim_-_Male.jpg
    Stalhrim_-_Male.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 622
Last edited:
So I've been looking into ways of getting that stahlrim texture. Has anyone tried doing hydro dipping with eva foam? How terrible of an idea is it, cause it sounds terrible.

Also, anyone know how I can find a pants and shirt with that beef-jerky colored diamond fabric? I'm looking for beef jerky diamonds.

Last edited:
So I've been looking into ways of getting that stahlrim texture. Has anyone tried doing hydro dipping with eva foam? How terrible of an idea is it, cause it sounds terrible.

Also, anyone know how I can find a pants and shirt with that beef-jerky colored diamond fabric? I'm looking for beef jerky diamonds.

I gotcha pal! Montique GET IN HERE!! He has one of the neatest paintjobs I have seen and it looks soooooo good in person! I have tried it but the conditions outside, small container used to house the water, and paint used made it not so successful, but this beutiful man can guide you down the right path

:lol: Haha what!?! Yaya han has some good puffy diamond fabric if I remember correctly. If yo uh have a jo-Anns near you, go into the cosplay section. It is just what you are looking for I think(i dont know if it is yaya han but i think so), only problem is that you would have to dye it, unless they have another of the right color

I think this is what Dash is talking about! I'm not sure how big the diamonds are, however, and you might have to go and recolor all the stitches to black.

You could also try doing it yourself with brown fabric and black thread, similar to what Alyson Tabbitha does in her Attack on Titan cosplay? IDK, it would take time but you could control the size of the diamonds and the colors yourself.

Link to about where she starts going into the details (warning, vid is kinda loud).

Tyrgam3r thanks for sharing that fabric! However.... while I was at Walmart getting some acrylics to test my painting method on some canvas while I'm out of town I found a leather fabric I was pretty satisfied with for $8 a yard, and since I'm not actually doing the sewing bits my mother (who's very enthusiastic about getting into this hobby) has taken it up to do that bit and didn't mind sewing on the diamonds.

xXDashIVXx well until Montique get's here I'm experimenting with this method I found called "rag painting". I think it can give me the results I want without risking water damage to the props. As a first time painter, I experimented a bit with it earlier today with some $0.50 acrylics
IMG_20190714_213813.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made so far in terms of finding out how to replicate the stahlrim texture, however I still have plenty of balancing and learning to do.

Neat. Water wont damage the foam in anyway. I once build a full shield and was letting the last bits dry on my table outside, and it got really windy. I forgot about the shield and went to check on it and found it has now been floating in the pool for the past 20 min. Not a problem with it XD

Neat. Water wont damage the foam in anyway. I once build a full shield and was letting the last bits dry on my table outside, and it got really windy. I forgot about the shield and went to check on it and found it has now been floating in the pool for the past 20 min. Not a problem with it XD
XD well that's good to know! Maybe I'll experiment with rag painting and hydro dip then, see which works better or if I can do a combination.

I also realized that the heavy and light armors actually look practically identical, and that one of the amours I posted above is modded. I'm just going to go with the heavy set.

Never fear, Montique is here. I actually think my paint method would work here, a jerry rigged hydro dipping station could give you a marbled effect if you use the right colors.
xXDashIVXx is on to something, I think my method could work really well here
I'd use a light blue and white combination.
Tonight I'm going to experiment with Hydro Dipping, more rag painting, and see if combing the two is even better. Thanks!

Also to get a better effect, try using a stick or something to swirl the paint into tighter more natural designs than just the rings
Oh for sure, I was gonna try to slowly stir it around and get a more marbled effect. I think I'll do a hydro dip to get the harsh/strong lines of marble, and then do some light rag painting on top to try to convey the translucency. I'd prefer to do it the other way around, since the rag painting was better at blurry edges and any ice angles and imperfections of the ice would be blurrier on the inside... but I'm not sure that's possible. Maybe if I rag painted then hydro dipped and used acetone or something to thin the dip out... but idk that's starting to get weird.
I may also experiment with doing a layer -> clear coat -> layer -> etc. to get a 3d paint job.

I'm so glad I found a way to work on this while I'm out of town.

Also I love that you as a family are cosplaying! I always thought my dad would make a great cosplayer, lol. And always thought it would be funny if a Master Chief cosplayed the Master Chief!
Read this and thought "oh $#17 this is Steve Downes' kid!"... and then I remembered it's an actual rank too xD. Yeah, that'd be pretty cool!

Read this and thought "oh $#17 this is Steve Downes' kid!"... and then I remembered it's an actual rank too xD. Yeah, that'd be pretty cool!

Lol! Nooo, just a Coast Guard military brat. Fun fact, my dad was not familiar with the Halo franchise and was wondering why all these people had Master Chief in their names back in the early days of multiplayer (we didn't own Halo at the time). "I didn't realize how many military folks played videogames" I think was his quote (again this was like 10-15 years ago). Now I can't mention Halo or John-117 without him going "me master chief? I am master chief" :lol:

Lol! Nooo, just a Coast Guard military brat. Fun fact, my dad was not familiar with the Halo franchise and was wondering why all these people had Master Chief in their names back in the early days of multiplayer (we didn't own Halo at the time). "I didn't realize how many military folks played videogames" I think was his quote (again this was like 10-15 years ago). Now I can't mention Halo or John-117 without him going "me master chief? I am master chief" :lol:
Oh my goodness your dad sounds amazing, we have the same humor.

Tonight I'm going to experiment with Hydro Dipping, more rag painting, and see if combing the two is even better. Thanks!
Just make sure you watch the video first, there's a little bit of a technique to it and I don't want you to get discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfect on the first try.
Also, hydro dipping something that you rage paint first is probably a good idea since sometimes the paint things out in some areas, so your rag paint would still show through

Just make sure you watch the video first, there's a little bit of a technique to it and I don't want you to get discouraged if it doesn't turn out perfect on the first try.
Also, hydro dipping something that you rage paint first is probably a good idea since sometimes the paint things out in some areas, so your rag paint would still show through
I've watched that video and a couple others so no worries :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back