Sliced armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentonlamaster

Hello im new here and was wounder if some on could help me. i have read about sliced weapons and was wondering is there sliced armor out there i have found nothing

thanks for any help,
Brent

sliced armor? i highly doubt there is any to be honest, its not really much use when pepakura is the way to go..

my idea is to take this sliced armor and put it on foam sheets and then smooth it out and then add some dry wall putty to it and smooth that out and vacuum form it. that was the plan. is there a tut on how to slice

Thats not really slicing. Slicing is taking patterns on paper and turning them into 3D models just by adding layers. The amount of paper it would take to do that with armor would be unreal.

Your going with more of a molding method. You could make armor with the foam but you would have to carve it out by with a knife or hot wires etc. Sounds a lot harder then it would be just to pep and fiberglass it.

Drywall compound? That material becomes fairly brittle when it dries. Great for walls, not so much for moving parts.

If you insist on creating your armour by molding (which is NOT the easiest or cheapest method) there is no need to re-invent the wheel. Like so many things, this has been discussed, performed and quantified by members of the 405th -

Moldmaking for Newbies:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/3865-Central-Moldmaking-for-newbies

The techniques from this method, "Molding Underarmor Pieces on the Cheap" may be some that you can apply:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/9386-Molding-Underarmor-Pieces-On-The-Cheap

In fact, molded armour has its' own subsection fo the forums.
http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/8-Molded-Armor-Discussion

Thats actually not a bad Idea...take the 3d model of the front of the chest...and then make the model slice it Horizontally. You take those Sheets of paper number them from 1 to 100 or whatever, then trace the paper pattern onto cardboard. and stack the cardboard horizontally with glue...to make the completed modela then resin and Bondo. Maybe.

I had been doing this with rc planes i take the drywall compound to smooth out the rough spots where i sanded it but your right it needs bondo or something that wont eat though it.

GUYS!

He's not making wearable armor with this method, what he wants to do is make a master for use as a vaccu form mold. Vaccu forming is considerably cheaper then conventional molding. I'm guessing he wants to make the armor with layers of foam core, fill in the edges with drywall compound, and sand. Thi method makes sense, but you might as well do pep and vaccuform the pepped pieces that way.

If you're looking to build a sliced model out of foam/ foamboard and use spackle to smooth it that won't hold up to vacforming. Foam has a considerable amount of compression so you could end up with some severe warping, and drywall compound is very brittle and would crack under the stress.

A good material for making bucks is MDF. Use a sliced model, cut the layers out of MDF board, and use bondo to do the smoothing and get rid of any rough texture.

You really can't cut corners and cost too much when it comes to vacforming, you'll end up wasting a lot of time and money if your methods don't hold up to it.

having done sliced weapons, I think the finish work would be a pain in the butt, sculpt it, carve it pep it, but don't slice it.

i Want to do it this way

A. That would cost you a buttload of money. The process to mill that out of the foam is insanely expensive. Plus molding is going to be a bear.

B. Bevbor has sliced up a helmet file. It works, but definately not good for detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been doing this with rc planes i take the drywall compound to smooth out the rough spots where i sanded it but your right it needs bondo or something that wont eat though it.

Oh definitely man. I mean don't get me wrong. Drywall compound is awesome for sanding and shaping, I'm just thinking that will all the flexing that the armor will do with your movements, that you may have chunks of your detailing falling off with every turn. :eek

i Want to do it this way

thata would work if you had access to a CNC machine and the time and material, but it's not the same a making a sliced model, maybe I'm confused as to what you are really looking for, I understand what you want the end result to be... Just not sure if I get what your intentions are of getting there. if you wanna do something similar to the video on the cheap (well cheaper than CNC) you could aways get a big old hunk of isulating foam and cut and glue it into a solid cube, then start hackin' away at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i found the halo reach sniper sliced and im going to try it first then im going to try try the armor

so i tried downloading the shoulder rest and it wont do nothing any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back