Small ODST model dump, and a quick question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason225

Here's a few ODST models I've been working on unfolding for my personal armor set. Nothing major, just some in-game models (I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I know they're low-res but I wanted models from the game. lol). The communicator and knife are from ODST, the forearm and elbow file came from the first person arm model in ODST, which is why it looks nicer than the world model. The chest and stomach piece came from Reach, because they're slightly nicer than their ODST counterparts. I did add the indentations on the stomach piece with a couple booleaned boxes, and I based their positions off of the actual texture and bumpmap of the model.
Files_zps85691887.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

Also, there's this, for any modelers who are better than me (all of them). I was going to try to edit this, but it was built so lazily (sorry Bungie) that pretty much everything clips together and I just don't feel like solidifying everything to boolean properly and then connecting all the faces. There's probably a better way to do it, I'm just not a good modeler, so I'll leave it for someone else who knows what they're doing but may not know how to extract it.
googles_zpse21ed2da.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

And my question was... Which knife do you think I should use for my finished armor? I have two Ka-Bar knives. I have a standard Ka-Bar in black, and a Ka-Bar "Big Brother" in black. I was almost certainly going to use the Big Brother, because it matches the look and size of Buck's knife better than the standard, but the sheath it comes with is so horrible... It's this terrible leather one, and the locking strap was made too small, so it didn't even fit around the handle. I cut it off because it only got in the way. Whereas my standard Ka-Bar has a nice glass-filled nylon sheath that locks the knife in place. I like the look of the Big Brother knife better, but I hate the sheath. Which do you guys think I should use? Here's a side-by-side of the two and their respective sheaths.
WP_000475_zpsbc57aa1a.jpg

Attachments

• Files_zps85691887.png
    Files_zps85691887.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 274
  • googles_zpse21ed2da.png
    googles_zpse21ed2da.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 242
  • WP_000475_zpsbc57aa1a.jpg
    WP_000475_zpsbc57aa1a.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 245
I am very happy to see what is here rather than what the title may have lead me to expect.

Very nifty extraction and unfolding work. I do think the chest and stomach pieces are missing some parts though, namely the notches in the bottom of the wings on the chestplate, and the circle thingy on the stomach piece. It's funny how the game fakes a lot of large details with flat bitmaps, it sort of speaks to the age of the console I guess.

I may play around with the notches you mentioned. I have the textures and everything, so I should be able to put them in the perfect place. It would be a good little thing to practice my modeling. And yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I was so excited when Reach extraction came around, but the only ODST model I was really happy with was the helmet. The rest of the pieces were kind of a let-down, namely the boot covers/calves... They were pretty disappointing. But ODST's weren't a very big part of the game, so I guess I shouldn't have expected models on the same poly-level as the Spartan III models (which are still somewhat low-def compared to some of the fan-made models, but I still prefer game accuracy over high definition. Plus, the pep build is my least favorite part of the armor-making process, so making it incredibly difficult on myself with an HD model isn't really my idea of a good time, especially when most of the added details can be done with a good dremel, some bondo, and foamies).

OH! And I almost forgot to mention: I have the vent details on the side of the arm in a different file. They clipped into the arm, so I used boolean to cut them down to size. I didn't put as much effort into the unfold for them, but I have them if anyone wants them. They're not done the greatest, but they're good enough, and they should fit okay on the arm.

details_zpsc27c01ef.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

Edit: I just played with it a bit. How does this look?
chest_zpsf4a1bca7.png

Attachments

• chest_zpsf4a1bca7.png
    chest_zpsf4a1bca7.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 263
  • details_zpsc27c01ef.png
    details_zpsc27c01ef.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 268
Nice work! If only I weren't half done my build already, I would have tried these out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back