Smoothing Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordmagoo

Jr Member
Aight so i like to do sculpting for fun and decided i might try a halo helmet, but ive been having some troubles making it smooth enough for an acurate mold and cast..... any help would be appreciated.

I'm making a Spartan Laser, and came across the same problem when attempting to smooth my clay. Though I have yet to actually try it (busy with another project), isopropyl alcohol rubbed across the surface is known to do the trick. Test it out in a small spot and see how it goes, but I'm sure others here will agree with the method.

Lemme know how it goes. You'll prob attempt it before I get around to it :p

There are far better forums to learn about sculpture techniques than here.This is one of the best around The Effects Lab In this forum you'll see peoples work that is so incredible its scary, real film industry professionals, no recasters just awesome talent. In answer to your smoothing question, it depends on the clay, if you're using a medium to soft oil wax/oil clay then you need rakes, start with a large one and work your way down to a very fine one this will work out all the depressions left by your fingers, using rubbing alchohol or turps is only for certain techniques , it will turn the surface of your sculpt into an oily mess if not used correctly. Most professional sculptors use very hard wax for doing mechanical/machined looking parts. Have a look around for sites that talk about various techniques for using chavant. Chavants web page contains some really good information about which clay to use for certain types of projects, and how to achive various finishes on the clay surface.

I meant no offence, Its just there are forums that have been around for a lot longer and contain more specific information.

Take a look at this guys Bioweapons site for his Guyver suit. The oil based clay he used is safe to heat so after he got the shape down and wanted to smooth out an area he used a heat gun. It is very impressive work and has inspired me to try some work with the brand of clay he used.

Plastalina brand. Link below, if it doesn't work paste the link in your browser or google Bioweapons.com and read his how to section, I have found it to be very enlightening. Hope this helps.

http://www.bioweapons.com/BIOWEAPONS/

Spartan 161 said:
Take a look at this guys Bioweapons site for his Guyver suit. The oil based clay he used is safe to heat so after he got the shape down and wanted to smooth out an area he used a heat gun. It is very impressive work and has inspired me to try some work with the brand of clay he used.

Plastalina brand. Link below, if it doesn't work past the link in your browser or google Bioweapons.com and read his how to section, I have found it to be very enlightening. Hope this helps.

http://www.bioweapons.com/BIOWEAPONS/
Awesome idea with the heat gun, but I wonder if it'll work with my Klean Klay (since it's not Plastelina....no plastic component). I may have to go the isop. alcohol route still....

Last edited by a moderator:
Aight thx for all the replys ill have to check some of that out. as for clay its a non-sulfur plastina oil based clay. Ive heard some things about trying that heat gun so that might work. also thx for the link, thx for reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back